Page:

The Persecution of Poetry

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

After nearly two years in prison, Ashraf Fayadh, a Palestinian poet, age 35, originally sentenced to four years in prison and 800 lashes in May 2014, is now due to be executed following an appeal.  Hoping to have his number of lashes reduced he was shocked when he was resentenced to death by a Saudi Arabia appellate court on Tuesday, November 17.  Originally accused of cursing Allah and the prophet Muhammad; and for insulting Saudi Arabia, he suffered even further prosecution by the courts for distributing a book of his poems.  Citing that it promoted atheism and blasphemy.  In addition, he was accused of having carnal relations with women outside of marriage.

Fellow poets, never take the power of our art for granted.  We too, are feared and loathed for the influence of our words, and the freedom of our verse.  Liberty is fickle and if the expounders of hate had their way, any number of us here at Deep Underground, could suffer the same fate as Ashraf.

poet Anonymous

When you put it like that, it's very true. Sadly.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

... the power of the pen ...

And the consequences therein.  

Which raises the question ... Would you face imprisionment or death to defend your art, your poetry?

mebo
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 22nd Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 19

Perhhaps. It would depend. It would depend upon the source of the threat,  which creation of mine had invoked the threat, and the status of my work in the world, which may be more subversive, more world-changing, than my words.  Perhaps.

mebo
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 22nd Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 19

[ Perhaps.  When I consider the start of your thread, and a poet/ writer currently facing execution what I really think is this:  I am unlikely to be capable of silencing my voice and words, they really spill out like any other urge and instinct -- to eat, for sex, to defend my children and what is beloved to me. So I suppose I might invite death by refusing to shut up, because I am not sure I have that much self control. I would make the choice for myself...   [/quote]

poet Anonymous

LobodeSanPedro said:

Which raises the question ... Would you face imprisionment or death to defend your art, your poetry?

I genuinely don't think any of us would know unless we were put in the situation. However, Bukowski said "Find what you love and let it kill you" - so if anything, it would be a worthy death never the less. I'm sure there's no shame in *dying for what you love.

*not to be confused with religious extremism. I said what you love, not what people tell you to love...

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

I wouldn't die for art. ..fuck that, art isn't worth a life, especially my life.

..what kind of insanity puts art before life. therein lies a problem with humanity

save the whales, tigers, dogs, cats, seals, rats, pandas blah de blah but fuck  the people

..though i totally accept the thread is about people

..you have been ranted upon

poet Anonymous

PANDAS MIGHT WRITE FKN POEMS LEPP, HAVE YOU EVER ASKED ONE? HAVE YOU?!

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

there's no mystery to pandas, Lady. They're entirely black and white

poet Anonymous

lepperochan said:there's no mystery to pandas, Lady. They're entirely black and white

http://youtu.be/SYQG569yP-E

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6697

Miss_Sub said:

http://youtu.be/SYQG569yP-E

Red Panda. Though that is not actually related to the Giant Panda, it is valid linguistically.
Also, it is the Great Bearded One; and now I must dance. Ahuhah!

Personally I believe if something is of great worth, its is something to live for. Dead people rarely progress a good cause, I say rarely as with enough dead and enough attention they bring new life to the cause though at the expense of themselves unfortunately.

I would not die for my words, they are too malleable to be a stone wall to fortify myself for death with. But I admire someone who does risk death by doing what others in the world take for granted.

For those who wish to kill words; they will die by them and the words will outlive them.

sinisterpenz
Hellbound
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 1st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 53

haha i agree leprechaun, the way we  overlook the issues of humanity ,and it seems we make the biggest deal out of little problems then blindly pass off the true injustices

poet Anonymous

I like to think that real art does help humanity. Art expresses the zeitgeist of the day which in turn fuels the revolution and change. I admit we are often fighting misinformed and on the wrong side but we keep apathy at bay.  We keep the purest forms of human truth and emotion alive. And the question really does not ask if art is worth dying for, but is being myself freely worth dying for and to that I say yes.
It is always the artists that start the movements
Which is why this mans crime is being taken so seriously.
If he is still alive, write to your reps in power and tell them how You feel, start a movement, the only way to save him

Ann_7000
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 16th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2

It's not that serious to me. We were created in God's image what does mere man know?

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

No, I wouldn't die for my poetry. But then I wouldn't live in the mediaeval barbarism of Saudi Arabia, one of the richest and most backward countries on the face of the earth.

Page:
Go to: