Go to page:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD... THE POPE DOES SPOKEN WORD!

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

DevlinDLC said:I don't believe in the Pope which is amusing and considering that I am a Catholic.  So therefore I won't be interested in anything he does.  And to this very day, I still applaud Sinead O'Conner for standing up for her belief in the Pope prior to this new one.  My, how far we've come to express what we as a society truly feel ~ about those we would have surely been verbally crucified for ~ even if it does pertain to religion and its icons.  Great discussion, Case.

Devilin, would you find the pope more interesting if he performed a spoken word about the Virgin Mary over this song?

http://redhotchilipeppers.com/videos/50-catholic-school-girls-rule

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Poetryman said:Glory hallelujah! More power to him, so to speak... I love this guy and I stopped practicing religion as soon as I got out of Catholic school in the 70's.
My favorite poet was a former Catholic Priest who left the Church and was later officially Excommunicated after writing a book called "A Catholic Priest Takes a Look at His Outdated Church" and followed that with several books of poetry. His first and best is titled "There Are Men Too Gentle to Live Among Wolves". He should have been Pope 45 years ago, he was Francis before Francis was Pope, maybe before he was a Priest.
JJ

JJ, what is the name of this infidel poet priest you speak?

Atakti
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 1st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 3273

My first reaction is that this is hijacking the 'Wake Up' mantra from political protest graffiti.

Lots of cool info here, in this short vid:
https://vimeo.com/55286729

My second thought is, when have younger people ever, EVER liked it when someone older tries to be cool?

Like, duh, never.

If the Catholic Church wants to win over new faithful followers, then their actions will have to do it, not a track. Let's see some of that wealth spread a little further around, huh? I'm not biased, this applies to all religious organizations collecting money and then not using significant amounts of it to help people.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-rich-vatican-so-wealthy-it-can-stumble-across-millions-euros-just-tucked-away-1478219

Lastly, you ask if I think it's art. Sure, for musician Tony Pagliuca and producer and artistic director Don Giulio Neroni. These guys mixed it up. It's not exactly created by the Popemeister, although they are sampling his speeches, which ok, we could argue public speaking is a form of expression, and therefore art. Did he even write those speeches?

So, a sampling of his spoken performances. Sure, ok. It's art, but is it reflecting his true feelings, or an agenda?

My opinion, the Vatican has a long way to go to redeem itself, and is a turn off more than an inspiration. Spirituality resides in each of us, not inside gold-gilded mausoleums where compassion and mercy have died.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Atakti said:My first reaction is that this is hijacking the 'Wake Up' mantra from political protest graffiti.

Lots of cool info here, in this short vid:
https://vimeo.com/55286729

My second thought is, when have younger people ever, EVER liked it when someone older tries to be cool?

Like, duh, never.

If the Catholic Church wants to win over new faithful followers, then their actions will have to do it, not a track. Let's see some of that wealth spread a little further around, huh? I'm not biased, this applies to all religious organizations collecting money and then not using significant amounts of it to help people.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-rich-vatican-so-wealthy-it-can-stumble-across-millions-euros-just-tucked-away-1478219

Lastly, you ask if I think it's art. Sure, for musician Tony Pagliuca and producer and artistic director Don Giulio Neroni. These guys mixed it up. It's not exactly created by the Popemeister, although they are sampling his speeches, which ok, we could argue public speaking is a form of expression, and therefore art. Did he even write those speeches?

So, a sampling of his spoken performances. Sure, ok. It's art, but is it reflecting his true feelings, or an agenda?

My opinion, the Vatican has a long way to go to redeem itself, and is a turn off more than an inspiration. Spirituality resides in each of us, not inside gold-gilded mausoleums where compassion and mercy have died.

I agree with everything you've articulated, Ataki, even the point you made about everything great about the Greeks has always been stolen.  I guess it all started with their women [Helen] getting stolen, followed by Greek philosophy, then the artefacts, olympics, salads and yoghurt... now we're knocking off their youth street art mantra.

If you haven't already heard the pope's slick new single, which is predominately electo-rock for the first half of the track before he delivers a very awkward and scripted sermon to what sounds like a dubbed audience reaction to him repeating an uninspiring "go, go, go", motivational pep talk to the lazy kids playing Xboxes back home.  

Here's your Wake up! http://youtu.be/hW3azJZNdQM

poet Anonymous

case28 said:

Devilin, would you find the pope more interesting if he performed a spoken word about the Virgin Mary over this song?

http://redhotchilipeppers.com/videos/50-catholic-school-girls-rule

Case. . .only if Anthony Kiedis or Flea WERE the Pope, I would. . .thanks for the trip back.

poet Anonymous

DevlinDLC said:

Case. . .only if Anthony Kiedis or Flea WERE the Pope, I would. . .thanks for the trip back.

Bah they should of elected George Carlin pope after his appearance in Dogma

BigVirge
Big Virge
Fire of Insight
Barbados 1awards
Joined 15th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 329

What a crock !!!!!!

People with real talent, and things to say, that are not under the auspices of some papal whatever ... can't get to be heard, but, this individual, who is heard a little too much for my liking, can get an album put out, as if he needs any more publicity for the rhetoric he spouts ....

This just angers me ....

Propaganda, i'm pretty sure, wants nothing to do with this kind of well, whatever it is trying to be !!!!!

moe0303
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 3rd Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 53

BigVirge said:

People with real talent, and things to say, that are not under the auspices of some papal whatever ... can't get to be heard, but, this individual, who is heard a little too much for my liking, can get an album put out, as if he needs any more publicity for the rhetoric he spouts ....

This just angers me ....

I don't know if you can compare this publication with albums an artist might put out. It's not like this album is being produced in lieu of some other artist. It is basically self produced.

I don't think this necessarily fits into the genre of spoken word poetry. Though I do think that much Pope Francis' speech is indeed poetic. But something seems to be missing here. I can't quite out my finger on the distinguishing factor.

Go to page:
Go to: