Go to page:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD... THE POPE DOES SPOKEN WORD!

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

It's that time of the year again when every wannabe reality tv celebrity and has been singer releases their shitty covers and best of album just before the pre-Christmas consumer shopping frenzy, only to have their albums flogged off for less than a dollar at a clearance sale in the new year.

However, this year there will be a new artist hitting the shelves and your playlists.  The Vatican's very own Pope Francis will be flying the flag for spoken word by releasing and album labeled by Rolling Stone Magazine as "prog rock infused" spoken word.  The album is titled "WAKE UP!" featuring a about a dozen or so tracks recorded in 3 to 4 different languages [I've so not done my research]... fuck it! Check it out for yourself:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pope-francis-to-release-pop-rock-album-wake-up-20150925

So what are your thoughts on the pontiff's attempt to reach out and touch his people with his performance art?  Would you even consider this art or is listening to the pope yelling WAKE UP! GO! GO! GO! could only be Mother Teresa's wet dream? [God bless her soul]  Or is this just blatant propaganda?  

[More questions to consider...] Is the pope's message of love, peace, faith and Catholistic global domination a new wave of coolness from an out of date institution or does this prove that "the church" and Christianity is out of touch with today's youth and the techno driven consumer culture?

poet Anonymous

First thoughts.....too many of these fellas spouting love, peace and faith under the gise of christianity have become filled with spirits and touched enough of their flock.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

I think Pope Frank should join up here and do some real spoken word.

hungrypan74
Dantalyon
Dangerous Mind
United States 7awards
Joined 10th June 2013
Forum Posts: 19

That'd be interesting to listen to.

I could actually think of some people,
(public figures), that I'd like to see do
just that.

hungrypan74
Dantalyon
Dangerous Mind
United States 7awards
Joined 10th June 2013
Forum Posts: 19

Alexander Case what you said, ("the techno driven consumer culture." your words which I say only to
clarify to leave no thought of infringement), about the culture prompted a thought and me to think about
some research I've been doing concerning the varying genres of music; from whence the derive their
particular style or sound.

I endeavored into this research from a whim one day or maybe a from a shot of lightning in my mind but
in my studying I reasoned that the sounds of the Rap style comes to us from the lower regions of the
reproductive center. The bump, bump, bump seems to correspond with the urges to procreate.

And it seems to be situated in the regions of the Africaan Continent.

The Metal-class of listeners seems to be aggressive and the sound seems to correlate with the chest
region and come from an excited and angry sense of emotional state that screams-out, "Rage; Anarchy,"
of which class I once was. And they use the shrilling metallic and hard-driving rifts that are in accordance
with agitation and anxiousness, excitement and malice.

This anti-establishment profile seems to be befitting of the West and European nations of Caucasians.

Now the Classical and some of the Asian influences cater to the upper-echelons of the body in the Mental
reasoning and in the Intellect. They seem to invariably utilize Soothing piano and wind-instruments, i.e,
flute, piccolo, and such and chimes.

And You also have the Arabs/Jews who follow this rule and obviously, sing from some place out of the confines
of the desires and urges/impulses of the natural body; somewhere in realm that they have transcended to
that's above us.

These seem to be centralized in the Middle East and North Eastern areas of the world from whence man is said
to have originated from... I guess like they say, "We all Return Home."

I decided not to engage in analyzing the folk music sound, haha.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

can't say the music touches me in any way and the 'spoken word' sounds like sound bytes from previous speeches edited in-between the ...shitty music. so, rather than the Pope recording an album it would appear, at best,  he gave permission for his voice to be edited into some shite.

its an ongoing theme with this particular papacy, couple of weeks ago official pope emoticons were launched. for his tour of the US and southern America.

given the disastrous reign of the previous two popes this one seems to be a little more liberal minded and indeed appears to have an appetite or vision for a shake-up  of church teachings, but the church  is a kind of democracy in that new things must be agreed upon by cardinals and there's not much being agreed to

the latest meeting of pope and cardinals took place last week or the week before and it was to look into family matters, divorce, marriage etc. a motion was put forward to let divorced people take the Eucharist ( divorced people are automatically banned from such privilege) the result was ' the church will look at it on a one to one basis'

seems to me the Church is in a bit of a paradox, it's far too old and set in its ways to grow any more or to appeal to younger people and if it does succeed to appeal to the young then it will alienate the more mature.

what the church needs is a good ol' fashioned holy war

..back to the album. it really does seem laughable      

poet Anonymous

I don't believe in the Pope which is amusing and considering that I am a Catholic.  So therefore I won't be interested in anything he does.  And to this very day, I still applaud Sinead O'Conner for standing up for her belief in the Pope prior to this new one.  My, how far we've come to express what we as a society truly feel ~ about those we would have surely been verbally crucified for ~ even if it does pertain to religion and its icons.  Great discussion, Case.

poet Anonymous

Though I'm not Catholic I'd still be interested in giving it a listen. Pope Francis is considered a bit of a radical. I'd give what he had to spit a go around.

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

Glory hallelujah! More power to him, so to speak... I love this guy and I stopped practicing religion as soon as I got out of Catholic school in the 70's.
My favorite poet was a former Catholic Priest who left the Church and was later officially Excommunicated after writing a book called "A Catholic Priest Takes a Look at His Outdated Church" and followed that with several books of poetry. His first and best is titled "There Are Men Too Gentle to Live Among Wolves". He should have been Pope 45 years ago, he was Francis before Francis was Pope, maybe before he was a Priest.
JJ

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

MadameLavender said:I think Pope Frank should join up here and do some real spoken word.

What's to say he's not already lurking in the spiritual-erotica corner of DU? What's the IP address for Vatican City?

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

tornado said:First thoughts.....too many of these fellas spouting love, peace and faith under the gise of christianity have become filled with spirits and touched enough of their flock.

I've heard that Volume 2 of "GET UP" has the pontiff doing spoken word over this song:

http://youtu.be/wv-34w8kGPM

Apparently it's the church's way of saying "things have changed, we're not the pedophiles you think we are..."

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

..so they'll not be covering J. Cash's ring of fire then ?

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

hungrypan74 said:The bump, bump, bump seems to correspond with the urges to procreate.

I have to agree with you, hungrypan, the rhythm is all in the hips.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

lepperochan said:..so they'll not be covering J. Cash's ring of fire then ?

Heh, heh... nope, ELVIS' "Burning Love" didn't make the cut either.  I would've paid money to hear Frank belt out the final verse.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

lepperochan said:
seems to me the Church is in a bit of a paradox, it's far too old and set in its ways to grow any more or to appeal to younger people and if it does succeed to appeal to the young then it will alienate the more mature.

what the church needs is a good ol' fashioned holy war

..back to the album. it really does seem laughable      

I think if the Catholic Church is to survive then they need to appeal to their youth.  But as the Australian renegade priest Father Bob McGuire has pointed out, the Catholics are in a bit of a power struggle between Jesus and the Roman Catholics in the Vatican.

Father Bob is more popular than the pope with Australian youth.  He co-hosts a weekly religious program on the national youth radio broadcaster, he's a very active community worker, he's outspoken, funny and talks about God and spirituality at a level everyone can relate to... but Father Bob was forced to retire from his parish by "The Church" a couple of years ago because he was too outspoken [and apparently he was selling church assets to fund his community work].

I'm certain there are other priests like Father Bob that have a positive affect on the local communities, unfortunately they're sidelined for being too radical and outspoken.  And that could be the problem with the Catholic Church, they're trying to control everything from the Vatican, blinded by their own greed and power...

I've digressed a bit there.  Perhaps youth would take pope Frank more seriously if he did away with the music and recorded a candid lecture on spirituality with a room full of youths, similar to Alan Watts.

Go to page:
Go to: