Go to page:

For the sake of growth...

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

Magdalena said: much growth comes from erotica.

HedonsHerald
Alexander Johnson
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 8th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 26

Thank you jonny but again this isn't about me. This is about what is going on all over the site. Go out and read more poems in the self or the observational section. Read love and dark poems. Keep writing and reading erotica but don't neglect the other  poems.

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

HedonsHerald,

At the risk of repeating what I've said in other discussions that Mags posted links to, DUP gets many surfers in from Google because it is ranked Number #1 in searches for Erotic Poetry, Erotic Poems, Sex Poems, etc.

DUP currently ranks about #35 for Love Poems. That is why less people are coming here to read love poems compared to erotic. Same is true for the other categories.

It is really that simple.

PsycoticMastermind
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 209

Magnetron said:HedonsHerald,

At the risk of repeating what I've said in other discussions that Mags posted links to, DUP gets many surfers in from Google because it is ranked Number #1 in searches for Erotic Poetry, Erotic Poems, Sex Poems, etc.

DUP currently ranks about #35 for Love Poems. That is why less people are coming here to read love poems compared to erotic. Same is true for the other categories.

It is really that simple.

That and Johnny Blaze sends nothing but perverts here from his personal website.

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

We actually get as much traffic from "dark" and "deep" poetry as we do from "sex" and "erotic". I think it's also an interesting question to ask How often do people write poetry with the reader in mind? From my experience poetry is often written as a kind of self expression and therapy, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, not everyone wants to read poems about other peoples' problems. Whereas the internet has proved time and time again that the world is full of dirty little so-and-sos who love a bit of anything smutty, poetry included.

If the question was actually, "how do I succeed at getting my poems read and commented on?", then the answer is the same for all websites; become an active member and build yourself a fan base. There are many tools on DU Poetry which can help you do just that. I'm sure plenty of people can point you in the right direction if you need help.

Basically, keep doing what you're doing, stuff like:
  • As mentioned by others in this thread; comment on other members' poems, give them useful critique, this may even help you become a "Top Critquer" and get you featured.
  • Follow poets you like
  • Request critique and advice in the "workshop" forum
  • Enter competitions
  • Be social in the forums
  • Add your favourite poems to your reading list

Final point, I ran some stats, indeed erotic poetry gets more views. However, in terms of comments all categories fair pretty much the same, so it seems some of those erotic poetry viewers can be shy to comment

• JohnnyBlaze
    Tyrant of Words
    United States 23awards
    Joined 20th Mar 2015
    Forum Posts: 5573

admin said:

Final point, I ran some stats, indeed erotic poetry gets more views. However, in terms of comments all categories fair pretty much the same, so it seems some of those erotic poetry viewers can be shy to comment

That's because their typing hands are pre-occupied.

Jonny212
    Thought Provoker
    United States 2awards
    Joined 14th Mar 2015
    Forum Posts: 72

Haha. Keep writing: )

admin
    DU Webmistress
    Mistress of the Underground
    1awards

JohnnyBlaze said:

That's because their typing hands are pre-occupied.

Well I didn't like to say

poet Anonymous

* reads thread...... and facepalms*

"The best way to get approval, is not to need it"

*bows out*

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
    Viddax
    Lord Viddax
    Guardian of Shadows
    United Kingdom 31awards
    Joined 10th Oct 2009
    Forum Posts: 6694

For the sake of growth: grow thyself not thy ego.
    Basically make yourself a better poet/ critique/ commenter/ limerick leprechaun, rather than trying to fix a problem which does not necessarily exist.

It is true that erotica gets a whole heap of reads and views, but well, it all seems rather sluttish when compared to poems that actually resonate with you personally rather than the primal libido. So sex sells, except that is not quite true: sex gets interest, it is not actually selling anything and if you do not like it then there is no need to 'buy' into the clamour of erotica.

A further two points Hedons which are relevant to you.
    1. "In my time here" - seems a bit premature somewhat given that you have not been here for two months so who is say it is not merely a spike or sudden outburst, rather than a common trend?
    It is a trend but as stated by the Webmistress, a trend of being highly read that is also shared by other categories. It always makes me smile when someone talks about 'their time here' when it is not much, not yet anyway.
    2. Although I applaud your desire to have people read other styles an categories, it would be very useful to have some pointers. Such as poets who are not erotica based but are worth a read. Unfortunately I can not name any as I tend to follow poets because of one poem or a few words and then follow them regardless of what category they most use.

Additional, for all the reads, comments and hooha over erotica, they are rarely seen in the competition arena. Most competitions do not adhere to the erotica style so in that sphere the lewd and erotic are actually the underdog and repressed, rather than the brash exhibitionist whore they seem with reads.

harliequin
    Thought Provoker
    United States 4awards
    Joined 30th July 2015
    Forum Posts: 103

I get it...everyone's getting on this guy's case because they think he's trying to garner more reads/comments or that he's complaining because he doesn't get enough.

I don't think that's his point.

I think his point was to, hopefully, encourage people to read other categories on the site and hopefully boost people's interest in seeking other categories out. Unfortunately, it was poorly put and even more poorly received.

Herald: My suggestion, if you want to boost reads and encourage reading in other categories, is to host a few competitions that focus on other genres and make one of the rules to include a link to the posted poem, encouraging the readers to go to the poets' pages rather than just reading in the competition forum. This will boost reads and comments in those other genres and might even lead to subscriptions, should the talent prove fruitful.

Magnetron
    Fire of Insight
    United States 6awards
    Joined 20th July 2014
    Forum Posts: 433

DUP also ranks at or near #1 in Bing and Yahoo for the same search terms.

A more specific search such as erotic lesbian poems can point surfers to a particular poem.

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/54635-lesbian-climax/

Over 6,500 views to date due to being a top ranking result in Google, Bing and Yahoo.

HedonsHerald
    Alexander Johnson
    Twisted Dreamer
    United States
    Joined 8th Aug 2015
    Forum Posts: 26

Thank you Harlie thats exactly what my intention was. and i think ill try something along those lines.

Go to page:
    Go to: