Go to page:

For the sake of growth...

HedonsHerald
Alexander Johnson
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 8th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 26

So in my time here i have noticed something rather sad...  many people read nothing but erotic poetry. the amount of people who come and go on this site is astounding and yet the only thing being read is the poems in the erotic section. Im not saying erotic poetry should be removed, or that we should stop writing it. That would be hypocritical of me considering i've written many and believe the category to be integral here. But Those poems are receiving way more attention (an undue amount in my oppinion) than the other categories, and some amazing pieces are going unnoticed as a result. I've recently posted a poem that comments on this in the erotic section labelled 'XXX Hot Hot Hot XXX' hoping to make a point... it has 300 views. some of the pieces ive worked three times as hard and as long on only have 10. and i can almost guarantee  every one of those viewers left after they realized it wasnt actually sex. So I felt i needed to call attention to this problem with this thread...

Please... read more poetry in other sections. Its to the point where many poets feel pressured to write erotic poetry just to be noticed

mysteriouslady
Tyrant of Words
United States 15awards
Joined 11th Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 2461

There are 20,531 members...not sure how many are logged on at the moment I think it states 24 and there are some lurking as well. You make a bold statement.  Once you let go of how many reads, likes and/or comments you receive, the happier you will become about your own writing. Give yourself the chance you rightful deserve, my friend. Plus it all depends on why you are here as well. I am here for the therapy results if you will. I can let it out and its free so to speak. Good luck with your writing and Ill read some right now. P.S. Not all of us just stick to the erotic section.

applepie77
Fire of Insight
Belgium 1awards
Joined 4th Feb 2015
Forum Posts: 1040

With non-erotic poems it's very much like in a jeweller's shop - you don't put the most precious pieces in the showcase, but people have to come in and ask for. :-)

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

A topic discussed numerous times here over the years... Here are the links to the older discussions.

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/suggestions/read/8067/#296285

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/poetry/read/2225/#80234

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/poetry/read/366/#9496

That's just a few and one of those is recent.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

So in my time here i have noticed something rather sad...  many people read nothing but erotic poetry. the amount of people who come and go on this site is astounding and yet the only thing being read is the poems in the erotic section. Im not saying erotic poetry should be removed, or that we should stop writing it.

Your perception is wrong on many levels, had you done a
couple of minutes research you'd have seen the numbers in actuality point to a different story altogether

here's the thing

there's no growth in generating anon reads, and but for some notable exceptions writers of erotics are starved of any constructive feed back, so in terms of growth, that is the sad thing

second, if you you think growth comes from reads then you need to re-think that quickly, because your thinking is all wrong

I'd prefer one constructive or encouraging comment to a thousand reads

third

..grow up

we need to stop this us and them mentality, we write, we all do, and as far as I'm aware we're not competing for reads, its more of a sharing our thoughts kinda community

HedonsHerald
Alexander Johnson
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 8th Aug 2015

@mysteriouslady it's not about me or the likes I receive. I don't really care. The amount of views is just a metric I'm using. the fact is the poetry itself is suffering for it.  I love erotic poetry, don't get me wrong. But no ones poetry is being read. And as to why we are here, I'm here to express myself and experience the therapeutic effects, but also to grow as a writer. And I know several people who have the same reasons. But if no one is reading anything but one section poets can't grow. The world becomes lonely and hollow, just like it was before.

HedonsHerald
Alexander Johnson
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 8th Aug 2015

@lepprochan first I agree whole heartedly that comments are the source of growth as a writer. You have completely misunderstood what I'm trying to say. I'm not glorifying view hoarding I'm using the views, and I cant stress this enough, AS A METRIC. a tool for measuring interest, which if applied properly can result in useful feedback. It's not a matter of us and them or  materialism or any of those things. It's a matter of feedback from the vaunted 'community' just isn't coming in for most people

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

"no one's poetry is being read"

Good fellow, you are talking out your arse now at this stage

go click on the poems link at the top of the page and have a look

th
en come back and tslk about it

HedonsHerald
Alexander Johnson
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 8th Aug 2015

... You really are just ignoring everything I've said thusfar. Yes I said tha. But guess what? You, once again are misinterpretting me. Look at a poem in the observational section and in three days no one will have bothered to even comment on it. Look at an erotic poem and you'll have at least fifty people looking at it commenting on it, praising it in less than 3 hours.

HedonsHerald
Alexander Johnson
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 8th Aug 2015

It's creating an environment that is difficult to get any feedback in

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

alright, fair point. erotic poems generate more reads (mostly anonymous ) than other genres. I don't see how "poetry is suffering" because of that, unless you mean 'your poetry' is suffering.

this is a site for writers, of which you are one, yet you haven't really grasped how powerful and sometimes misleading words are. when you come out with sweeping statements like 'no one is getting read' and 'poetry is suffering' that's all the more clearer

I don't mean to be on your case, but ..come on, man, on the one hand you're saying reads, likes and comments don't influence you and on the other hand you're saying you use those as a barometer  "a tool for measuring interest ",

the other thing which struck me was when you said ' poetry was suffering' it's almost like you don't class erotica as poetry, p'raps you should clarify that as at the very least it goes some way to propping up my point about how you use words on a writing site

you're right of course, this is a community and you will generate interest in your poetry within this community. in the 54 days since you've joined you've made 34 comments, 8 of which were on your own poems. so, p'raps a little more ground work on your behalf will garner more interest    

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Thanks for the links to other discussions on the same topic.  Oh, that's okay, you're welcome, I thought they would help you see the direction and such this topic always heads in.  

Nonetheless, much growth comes from erotica.

rajibr
Damned Soul
Twisted Dreamer
India
Joined 4th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 72

If one truly loves poetry just go on sharing it the. A poet shouldn't quantify the number of likes and number of comments as a metric for judging the quality of his' or her's poetic creation. Just go on creating wonderful pieces in any section you wish. Enjoy your creation. And if someone is missing to read your creation he or she will regret for not reading it firsthand.

HedonsHerald
Alexander Johnson
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 8th Aug 2015

well firstly I will concede that some of my arguments have been a little ambiguous. I apologize for that. But comments and views really don't affect me aside from some useful criticism. But that's me personally and this isn't about me or my exposure. This is about how many wonderful poems recieving any  feedback.  And to clarify I don't seek to vilify erotica. I love it, I write it. I'm just encouraging people to shift their focus and comment and read other poetry. In addition to erotica.

Jonny212
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 14th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 72

Stay up dude. Worry about how to make your poems louder and presence felt. I personally hate erotica because I've dealt with that shit way to much in real life and I feel old. Use what you have learned and make us care about it. Your best readers are the ones that feel you. Don't try to get attention from just anyone, but from those who can relate and want to relate. Seriously bro just grab your dick and keep writing.Nothing will change over night  or at all. You need to say "fuck those fuckers. My voice is louder!"
Be the King.
Be humble as well.

Go to page:
Go to: