Forum Posts: 3

It's both art and therapy . I heard a painter say painting is therapeutic

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 925

I tend to channel sexual energy into poetry writing. Does anyone else do this?

necro_mantic
Strange Creature
Joined 1st Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 1

My writing is my alter-ego. The me that I hide. So I'd say it's extremely therapeutic for me to exist as her, anonymously. This is the closest I'll ever get to showing her to anyone. It sets me free knowing maybe one person saw her, that she lived outside my head for a fleeting moment, in the mind of a stranger.

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

It's all of the above and much more.  In fact, it's anything you do artistically, and with the passion that goes with it.

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

We like things that spark a connection, whether it be a thoughtful or emotional one and consider something art when that connection is made.
All of those connections that we make are therapeutic.
Poetry, whether writing it/reading it/voicing it/hearing it, is a form of expression and whether it's art or therapy or both depends entirely on whether and what type of connection is made.

highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

Ok guys I am going to do something. I am going to try and write an absurdist poem. Reading it will be painful because the poem will be seemingly full of nonsense and make very little sense. The key to reading this is find the underlying messages rather than the poem as a whole. This will happen in a few days time. If you want to look up more information just Google existentialism and Samuel Beckett.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
SirJohn
Strange Creature
Nigeria
Joined 2nd Jan 2016

Poetry is art to the artist and therapy to the observer. it becones a therapy to the artist when he sits back and look.
Poetry is my key of expression helping me share soundless messages straight to the heart of men.

Chapmike
Strange Creature
Joined 3rd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 3

That's really true. Sometimes I think peots feel what other people feel without actually being in whatever they talk about themselves. Its a complicated art. Its all about observing and experience

Someonesghost
Strange Creature
United Kingdom
Joined 12th Jan 2016

Poetry is a therapy for me that becomes art by its own choosing. It gives me the opportunity to write the thoughts I know I could never say aloud. Then I read it on the page and it becomes art as it has become something I can never bear to destroy, however lacking in any form of creativity it may seem at the time or others profess it to be..

Midnite
Lost Thinker
Canada
Joined 10th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 6

In my limited experience and humble opinion it is truly both. Even if a person is only writing for the sake of the craft there is still arguably some intrinsic therapy going on.

DeKOi
Lost Thinker
United States 1awards
Joined 11th Jan 2016

Poetry is a paradigm of expression and cannot be reduced to a simple dichotomy; however, it's all subjective.  So own it and make it whatever you want sis.  

DeKOi
Lost Thinker
United States 1awards
Joined 11th Jan 2016

Not a single person (pun)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14554

Art in many forms heal the soul through beauty, be it pleasant or agony. Words and paper can be just as beautiful as paints on a canvas.

KtothePOET
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 21st Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 4

I believe poetry is both. Words paint pictures. That's art. Those words can come from pain, or strong emotion.

Go to page:
Go to: