Go to page:

Is poetry art or therapy?

chump
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 30th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 417

if your poem makes you feel better then it is therapy....if it makes someone else feel better its art....

dartford
Paul S...
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 29awards
Joined 13th June 2013
Forum Posts: 249

my poems never make me,
or anyone else, feel 'better' -
therefore they're shit..:)

MayRayn
May Rayn
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 10th May 2016
Forum Posts: 113

Who says we need to choose? Poetry may be what fits in the moment - if therapy turns out to be or can be turned into art, everyone wins. And vice versa. Now that seemed so obvious as to sound trite, but truth is often self-evident.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

that's that then.

KyleL29
SilentShadeofGray
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 26th May 2016
Forum Posts: 13

I think at some point in our lives we need some sort of avenue to vent our frustrations,misunderstanding of the world, creativity and so on. I'm sure like many of you discovered writing in your teens. Simply because of the psychology of the development of the human brain. For some of us this process can be overwhelming during this phase in our lives. People have found writing to be that approach to calm the wild angsty teen beast. If I were to read this ten years ago, I'd agree with you however, I have other modes that I see as therapy now. In saying that I do very much like to flex my creativity muscles. I also think for many whom like to squander in self-pity all the time; then it's sort of a crutch...

Myke_Allba
Strange Creature
Joined 29th May 2016
Forum Posts: 4

Art and the effects created by art on the brain are therapeutic

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
blocat
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 1st Nov 2012
Forum Posts: 241

For me it is both art and therapy. However each person must give to poetry that which they have and take from it that which they need.

alexbanner
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 30th May 2016
Forum Posts: 1

Definitely both! Being a poet is the greatest thing ever!

Nabors
Strange Creature
Joined 9th June 2016
Forum Posts: 1

Poetry is art!!! It has painted so many scenes and scenarios in my mind that I would not have come up with myself!!

BSavvy
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 8th June 2016
Forum Posts: 3

I personally believe that poetry is both. Poetry is art but it is also therapy because it allows you to tap into what you are feeling and transcribe it onto paper thus giving you a sense of relief/peace because it is being released out of you. Thoughts that get trapped inside your head can cause a lot of problems psychologically. Writing poems is therapuetic. For many words don't flow so easily out of the mouth but put a pen and paper in their hand and you would be amazed and the depth of what they have to share..  I know for me it definitely is both and most definitely it brings therapy for me.

goodytwoshoes
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 9th June 2016
Forum Posts: 5

My first one is both. I helped release a lot of tension in my mind, and it wasbinspiring. I've only done one so far.  No idea how to get it posted though. I just joined today. I haven't written a poem in over 10 + years and this just started coming up in my mind so I wrote it down and I loved the way it turned out.

poet Anonymous

Both good for the creative side and can release tension

pollyannaish_poet
Strange Creature
Joined 10th June 2016
Forum Posts: 12

Poetry is both! I consider art as any medium for self-expression, and poetry is arguably one of the greatest ways one can utilize their creativity, imagination and individuality. Poetry is also incredibly therapeutic, for as we all know, the power of words is unparalleled! It can raise the spirits of even the most sorrowful or heartbroken. Poetry is medicine for the soul- in more ways than one.

ashdragon16
Strange Creature
Joined 16th June 2016
Forum Posts: 3

Definitely both, though more therapy for me.  I lifts whatever I'm writing off my heart when it gets to heavy.

Go to page:
Go to: