Go to page:

Is poetry art or therapy?

JustAnotherPoet
Strange Creature
Joined 27th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2

It's both. and more. its everything that brings you peace.

wallyroo92
Tyrant of Words
United States 147awards
Joined 11th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1792

deleted

rainbowoni
Strange Creature
Joined 2nd Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 11

Poetry is Poetry.
"literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm; poems collectively or as a genre of literature." Explains the dictionary. Poetry is the mere legos you build with. What you build with it is up to you. What others think of it, is up to them.

HarleyQinn_2
DarkSnake1010
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 26th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 218

it's therapy for me. cuss I have a lot going on and writing some of my poems,
well it helps me express my
Feelings.

OctoberBVBdarklove
peppergrinder
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 3rd Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 14

I believe that it can be both. If you think about it art is a kind of therapy and therapy is a kind of art. Therapy helps relax and so does art. As a creative yet suicidal person I say it is both.

OxyMoronicMe
G.L.
Dangerous Mind
Philippines 24awards
Joined 15th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 1470

Either or both

LunaLove6963
Dangerous Mind
United States 3awards
Joined 14th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 1347

One or the other
And both
Just depends on what's going on in your life

poet Anonymous

Definitely and outlet for me, therefore therapy. Also feeling very new to this "Poetry" I get to express here on the DU anonymously.
Therefore, I tend to say "poetically" some things which I may not say otherwise, again therapeutic.
Now, I also lean on the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Therefore making the case, anything can be artful
but maybe more so for those who are looking, reading or listening for art.
I do not feel I am an artist but have read many on this site that I feel are indeed artist.
So there you go I guess I cleared that up

t-w-j-647
Strange Creature
Joined 29th Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 2

I think it is definitely both. It's an art when I read and it's a therapy when I create.

litebrite2
Roderick Dupree
Strange Creature
Joined 29th Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 3

I would say both cause creating poetry is art and to reviews its their therapy of life.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

Real poets don't play it safe.  Try something different.  Do something new. Write something that will challenge you. Scribble outside the lines of your comfort zone.

destinyDs
Strange Creature
Joined 30th Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 1

I believe poetry is therapy in the form of art.

Nicolassy
Lost Thinker
Joined 23rd Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 27

Poetry and story telling is therapeutic for me, it's up to the reader to decide if it is art... Maybe it's both.

anonymous_raider
Strange Creature
Joined 1st May 2016
Forum Posts: 3

Agreed

HaiItsMo
Mo
Twisted Dreamer
United States 2awards
Joined 3rd May 2016
Forum Posts: 33

Everyone has there own perception of what poetry is. For me, it's an escape, sorta like therapy. but it is also an art. Just like some would argue if cheer or dance was an actually sport. Though poetry isn't a physical art having do deal with paints and brushes, it is an art of the soul you could say.
****Not sure if that made any sense to anyone else but that definitely sounded better and less dramatic in my head.**

Go to page:
Go to: