Go to page:

Addiction theory

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6693

That is all fine and sensible, but now for some meandering gibberish.

I think everybody has at least one addiction. It may well not be a mainstream 'drug', like booze or cigarettes or heroine, but everybody has something or some things which ease existence and give it some pleasure and purpose.

Companionship probably does reduce addiction, simply because having people around you and doing other stuff will make it impossible to indulge the addiction. As most likely the addiction is personal, its your thing, and not everyone will want to shoot up when the crave to. You can hardly see people all shooting up (yes, my drugs knowledge is rather barren so my terms aren't hip, deal with it) on the bus and chatting away about their favourite trips in communal harmony.

The blog seems to want to incite people to give love to addicts, to improve people's love for each other and reduce neglect or social awkwardness in order to steer people away from drugs.
However it rather backfires, and seems to now add the title of loner and pariah to the stigma of drugs and addiction. Hey, look at the addict: they like drugs and are alone, lets all patronise them with overbearing care and mock attention, as that'll really solve the problem.

I think the best person is someone who lets you indulge in your addiction, just enough to please you, but also enough to keep you in the world and not always with puff the magic dragon. Then again, I think that love, laughter, and sex, are addictions.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

Miss_Sub said:

They're supporting Morrissey next year aren't they?

Absolutely!  And throw in Patti Smith, for good measure, and my life will be complete.  

(and as soon as my brain isn't on overload from being at work, I'll come up with an on-topic, thoughtful response to the thread, but for now--it's all alternative music, all the way!)

personanongrata
Astral Gift
Thought Provoker
Greece 5awards
Joined 8th June 2015
Forum Posts: 272

love/companionship addiction is the worst of all
you sure reached another level of addiction.My mother had two:alcohol and love.The last made her to tolerate every shit her husband was doing TO her, just because she didn't want to be left alone, she felt pointless without a man,alchohol made her tolerate herself and stop pity.Which is more humiliating

personanongrata
Astral Gift
Thought Provoker
Greece 5awards
Joined 8th June 2015
Forum Posts: 272

Viddax said:That is all fine and sensible, but now for some meandering gibberish.

I think everybody has at least one addiction. It may well not be a mainstream 'drug', like booze or cigarettes or heroine, but everybody has something or some things which ease existence and give it some pleasure and purpose.

Companionship probably does reduce addiction, simply because having people around you and doing other stuff will make it impossible to indulge the addiction. As most likely the addiction is personal, its your thing, and not everyone will want to shoot up when the crave to. You can hardly see people all shooting up (yes, my drugs knowledge is rather barren so my terms aren't hip, deal with it) on the bus and chatting away about their favourite trips in communal harmony.

The blog seems to want to incite people to give love to addicts, to improve people's love for each other and reduce neglect or social awkwardness in order to steer people away from drugs.
However it rather backfires, and seems to now add the title of loner and pariah to the stigma of drugs and addiction. Hey, look at the addict: they like drugs and are alone, lets all patronise them with overbearing care and mock attention, as that'll really solve the problem.

I think the best person is someone who lets you indulge in your addiction, just enough to please you, but also enough to keep you in the world and not always with puff the magic dragon. Then again, I think that love, laughter, and sex, are addictions.

sorry messed up .

human
Strange Creature
Joined 13th July 2015
Forum Posts: 13

from what i have seen there's basically 2 types of people that habitually use drugs ... those that thrive on them and those that self destruct ... the later in my experience often have one over riding fatcor in common with each other ... childhood trauma .... in that repect to say we are all equal but then say we have different breaking points is a dangerous way of looking at it

poet Anonymous

Viddax said:That is all fine and sensible, but now for some meandering gibberish.

You know when I read that, I had "and now for something completely different" from a Monty Python sketch echoing round my head

Viddax said:The blog seems to want to incite people to give love to addicts, to improve people's love for each other and reduce neglect or social awkwardness in order to steer people away from drugs.

I think that you've actually touched on something rather interesting here. The idea of patronisation in care. I'll use the time my doctor insisted I attend Cognitive Behavioural Therapy sessions to try and break my compulsive cycles as an example. Firstly, it didn't work. Secondly, I sat in this room with this old duffer, while he scribbled away things I said occasionally and then told me all the things I should be thinking and feeling. In CBT, they basically try and re-wire your brain to train you to think about things in a healthier way, thus reducing the compulsion. In all honesty they say "right, what you're thinking is wrong and unreal. This is what you should be thinking." I hated that. I'm not a fkn robot.

As with all services the NHS provides, it was lacking, at the very least. You know, as you spill your guts out that he doesn't understand for a second how you're feeling. You know, that he's got a textbook telling him all these criteria for diagnosis. You know, that he thinks your just another one of the scum of society that can't hold it together, and he probably won't give you a second thought after he clocks off, because you're his job.

In the case of that, surely the key to successful recovery is understanding rather than overbearing company, or patronising withdrawal programmes. I know I'd rather speak to somebody who just gets it in a heartbeat, than have to sit in a silent room with a well-aged man who doesn't water his yukka plant every week and not be heard.

slayer69
Thought Provoker
Australia
Joined 26th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 107

Drugs aren't our problem, they are our solution. "Humans will always seek alternate states of consciousness" Terence McKenna. The questions aren't "how do we overcome addiction"? Like we have to normalise into a sick society of victims who are all addicts in their own right anyway. The question is "why is there addiction"? What makes our lives and reality so shit that we have to consume chemicals In Order to bear it, or escape it? We create the social paradigms that create addiction in the first place, hence why drugs are our solution. In my biased, yet humble opinion, to break free of vices, we must change our reality. Or at least how we perceive it!

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

"I firmly believe that alcoholism is a disease, and that alcoholics remain alcoholics for the remainder of their lives (the same way you can "beat" CA but it can always return). However, I also believe that our society labels many people "alcoholics" who are actually alcohol abusers by choice - that's what I used to be. For several years I regularly drank to excess, but it wasn't out of any illness or disease. I drank too much out of boredom and for the social interaction I thought I was getting (who knew? All those folks I drank with weren't true friends!). I abused alcohol without being addicted to it. I've since calmed down, gotten married, and enjoy drinking socially, and have no health or psychological problems ( knowledge) related to my former abuse of that particular substance. True alcoholics can't have "just one." - some nurse type person

part of a discussion taken from here:  http://allnurses.com/addictions-nursing/alcoholism-disease-or-329145-page3.html

reason being, there is a train of thought that would argue the term or label Addict is in itself removing responsibility from a drug or alcohol abuser. " OK, so you done some really shitty things but its OK cos you're an addict "  and I suppose there may be some truth in it. If anyone has spent any length of time in courts you may hear defense lawyers throwing out the line in an effort to garner some pity or clemency from the judge  ...and in fairness, most judges will take addiction into consideration before passing sentence  ...unless you're black ...or Mexican

Is addiction a disease ? If you asked the World Health Organization in the 80s they'd have told you yes, yes it is. But they soon backed down off that jar of nitroglycerin.

why ?  Money

When addiction was classed as a disease it gave addicts an insurance payout, paid leave from work, disability benefits etc etc

If you ask AA they will tell you they don't want to get bogged down in semantics. In fact there are correspondence between the first European branch of AA ( Dublin) and the AA in america where AA Dublin was strongly advised to back away from the disease theory

here are some addictions catered for by closed group meetings:

drugs

alcohol

food

sex

gambling

other addictions not really catered for:   serial rape/ murder

All the above addictions have at least one thing in common, the action leads to a release of chemicals into the brain .

Why am I saying this ?  

that, my friends is a good question

human
Strange Creature
Joined 13th July 2015
Forum Posts: 13

to say addiction is a disease is to presuppose will is not a factor

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6693

slayer69 said:Drugs aren't our problem, they are our solution. "Humans will always seek alternate states of consciousness" Terence McKenna. The questions aren't "how do we overcome addiction"? Like we have to normalise into a sick society of victims who are all addicts in their own right anyway. The question is "why is there addiction"? What makes our lives and reality so shit that we have to consume chemicals In Order to bear it, or escape it? We create the social paradigms that create addiction in the first place, hence why drugs are our solution. In my biased, yet humble opinion, to break free of vices, we must change our reality. Or at least how we perceive it!

Indeed. And working in Missy's comment, the question should not be "how do we overcome addiction?" or "how do we normalise this person?" or "how do we get addicts to fit into society?", but simply "how do we treat this person as a human being?".
If the addiction is consuming them, of becoming their only defining feature, then the solution is to try and reclaim the person behind the addict.

Otherwise it might be a case of screw the non-addicts, they sound like a right boring orthodox bunch with ways to be and what to be. That type of thinking can piss off completely. Normal is not something to aspire to, but a way to measure against but not completely.

Addiction is a hobby; you define it, it does not define you.

The addiction of murder is roughly catered for in video games, but the experience is far too lacking to properly sate the desire and achieve catharsis. Or maybe the military caters for murder, except it rebuilds you into a disciplined fighting machine and rewrites who you are momentarily. Prostitution could be said to cater for rapists/ serial rapists, but either the experience is not true enough, or is true and is morally corrupt (the pimp setting it up with the raper, and an unsuspecting rapee).
Either way muder and rape are not answered, and so, must be acted out in their most brutal form. Now that prostitution has a stigma to it, and violence is either a sport or avoided if possible in this 'cultured' age.

It seems to all boil down to modern life trying to deny the beast by any means, rather than trying to live with it.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Michael Jackson had a chimp for a companion  ..and Dianna Ross. and he was well adapted to life. I mean, he had a theme park built in his garden. If that's not adapting to life I dunno what is.

poet Anonymous

The irony being that MJ didn't even die by his own doing in the end. He did have more issues than Vogue, however...

ThyHoneynut
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 30th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 65

human said:to say addiction is a disease is to presuppose will is not a factor

It's kind of like how a heroin addict can get hepatitis c from using someone else's needle. Just because the addict put the needle in his arm, doesn't discredit that he still has hep c.  

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

you can get hep from any needle even if it's clean.  once you break your skin at all there's a chance of infection. also you can get it from towels, cups, cutlery etc if someone with hep has used them and they weren't washed

there's a whole alphabet of hep's    

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Viddax said:

Indeed. And working in Missy's comment, the question should not be "how do we overcome addiction?" or "how do we normalise this person?" or "how do we get addicts to fit into society?", but simply "how do we treat this person as a human being?".

places like Portugal and Switzerland treat addiction totally different than most other countries. these days there's very little stigma attached to addicts there.

in Portugal most drugs are de-criminalized, they have clinics that administer needles of heroin to addicts, there's a psychiatrist, doctor and councilor all the time, addicta are given the full works health wise.

they get one needle in the day time, go to work then get another in the evening

the UK are testing the needle clinics, or they indicated that they want to try them out

if you take the stigma away, addiction is very manageable  

http://www.tdpf.org.uk/blog/drug-decriminalisation-portugal-setting-record-straight

Go to page:
Go to: