Go to page:

Addiction theory

poet Anonymous

Craic , "Have you ever thought, with your stories and experiences, how much help and inspiration you might be to others?"

crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2641

I don't believe companionship weighs in on my addictions.. I'm like Craic in some ways I have a habit of trading one addiction for another.. I think I just have an addictive personality

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

Sometimes I'm an inspiration to my kids, that's more than enough for me.

I did think about it though, thought about taking the plunge and doing the next level of councilling training. but, I dunno if I want to be around addicts. I value my sobriety and,  to be honest I know its limitations.

thanks though

ThyHoneynut
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 30th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 65

A lot of what I'm going to say comes straight from a 12 step program. What I can say is-is that whenever I stop using drugs and alcohol to deal with ME,  I suffer from a spiritual malady. This is where I feel a disconnection from people, myself, and from God. When I feel this disconnection, it turns into a mental obsession -the mental obsession to use. Once I use, it turns into the phenomenon of craving. Once I decide to take that first drink or drug, I can't stop unless I'm put into some detox/rehab facility or end up in jail. As low as I have gotten in my life, every time I get sober, I convince myself that somehow things will be different by using.  

So Let's back up. Let me restate that I suffer from a spiritual malady, or loneliness rather. How do I deal with it? Well I go to meetings and I use other alcoholics and addicts to listen, to fellowship. I'm not saying everyone needs to go to a 12 step program. There are a lot of people that stay sober without it, but for me it was a necessity. For me, it was the last house on the block.

The mental obsession is really baffling. Although I stop taking drugs and drinking, I still have to deal with what goes on inside ME. What I have learned from chronic relapse is that the mental obsession can change forms, such as money, work, sex, women, video games. I try anything and everything to deal with what's going on inside, but I take it to another level. I've hired prostitutes to deal with my loneliness. I'd work hard to make it seem like I'm ambitious and to feel important. I'd save every cent I had so I could buy all the nice things that I've missed out on. I get obsessed with video games because it takes me out of reality and makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something(specifically competitive gaming) This is all when I'm sober, mind you. This isn't normal, I believe. There's nothing wrong with video games, working hard, and saving money. But the extent in which it controls you is what's unhealthy. Normal people don't play video games for 12 hours on their days off. Being sober is all about balance, and dealing with what's going on inside without external sources.

poet Anonymous

RevolutionAL said:"I'm not addicted; just love the smell"

;)

Ah yes, I remember that.

SURVIVOR
Fire of Insight
United States 7awards
Joined 11th July 2015
Forum Posts: 130

14yrs. Ago my husband wanted to go to a few of my meetings and the more he went the angrier I got.and I realized something this Was MY THING! And I wanted to do it on my own! He was interfering!

human
Strange Creature
Joined 13th July 2015
Forum Posts: 13

exposure  .... even happens with country and western t shirts

Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 1awards
Joined 4th May 2010
Forum Posts: 2144

In my opinion. Being a clean drug-addict and all. When I use drugs or self-deprecating behaviours(#Why-Me?) to feel good about myself instead of answering the questions that define me... The one's like, "Why did I cheat on my ex?" or "Does my dad love me?"... I move further in to denial about who and what I am.(I also attend ACA) When I was a kid my dad was(still is) a functioning alcoholic, I didn't get the attention I craved and felt I had to impress him and my mum to survive, as I depended on them for... Everything. So, when I got older, things like making a good impression on my peers and keeping up appearances were really important and so I never learnt skills for dealing with my own feelings. While alot of other kids learnt about healthy relationships in pre-pre-school, I'm only beginning to know. That doesn't mean I need people to be alright. I need to accept myself to be alright. Making a commitment to get involved in healthy relationships, with friends, co-workers and my family, especially other drug-addicts(as they're easiest to relate to) gives me the opportunity to accept other people for who they are and so accept myself.

~Insert Quotes Here~
[The things that irritate me in other people are the things that irritate me in myself]
[We best teach what we most need to learn - Richard Bach]
[Be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Ghandi]
[You are today where your thoughts brought you. You will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. - James Allen]
[Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. - George Bernard Shaw]

I like that last one and yes, I did just start using Hullets sugar wrapper quotes.
PM me if you want info, support or anything.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Miss_Sub said:http://soulspottv.com/blog/everything-you-think-you-know-about-addiction-is-wrong

So this morning, I was scrolling through facebook, when I came across this article in my newsfeed. The psychology of addiction is something that interests me, having experienced issues myself. In this article, they claim that addiction needs companionship in order to be dealt with, and that a lack of bonds with people is what triggers addiction as a coping mechanism for loneliness, or awkwardness.

I wasn't sure what to make of this article. I can't say that I've ever really wanted people around when I have been drunk, if anything they've been more of a hindrance to recovery.

Any thoughts on this? I'd be interested to know what other people think.

I'm very much a loner, lonely person, rather spend time in my own head than in company on the most part.  I actually feel fine in my loneliness and although I have BDD (which is the aftermath of my abusive relationship) I don't suffer with addictions. Drugs and alcohol do not appeal to me, I'm a non-smoker, never even desired a smoke, I like coffee but if I don't drink it, I'm fine with that.  I love chocolate, but can get sick of it sometimes.
So, I cannot think of anything I'm really addicted to and I've not had any real companionship in my daily life for about 8 plus years, sometimes I even need my alone time away from the internet.

For me, the statement I have emboldened where I quoted you Missy,  is far from correct.

Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 1awards
Joined 4th May 2010
Forum Posts: 2144

-I didn't watch the video, not enough airtime.

If you feel maladjusted and are willing, have a look at this. Whether or not you know an alcoholic.

http://www.searidgealcoholrehab.com/article-adult-children-of-alcoholics.php
http://www.adultchildren.org/lit-Laundry_List

poet Anonymous

@Magda that's fine, if you read back, I was quoting the article, that's not my personal opinion. So I agree with you there, I personally think that statement from the article is crap.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Miss_Sub said:@Magda that's fine, if you read back, I was quoting the article, that's not my personal opinion. So I agree with you there, I personally think that statement from the article is crap.

Aw, I didn't mean you Missy, I meant in the article you posted... I agree, it's crap.  

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

I'm not sure but all I can say is that I totally love the title of this thread--sounds like a goth-band made up of punk icons from the '80's:

"Addiction Theory" starring Gary Numan and Peter Murphy

:D

poet Anonymous

MadameLavender said:I'm not sure but all I can say is that I totally love the title of this thread--sounds like a goth-band made up of punk icons from the '80's:

"Addiction Theory" starring Gary Numan and Peter Murphy

:D

They're supporting Morrissey next year aren't they?

personanongrata
Astral Gift
Thought Provoker
Greece 5awards
Joined 8th June 2015
Forum Posts: 272

In my opinion, the most important thing to stay sober is finding sth that satisfies you, that makes you happy or pleased. So,this is different for each person. For example, playing music and writing lyrics and poems worked for me, others like cars, cooking, acting, whatever..I don't really care about making new friends in the city, but I did had to go away from my old ones. I enjoy staying alone as long as I'm able to but I have 2 kids to take care that keeps my mind busy.When I sit doing nothing my subject of addiction comes back in my head,as a memory,a desire or a picture, reminding me that it will never be over. Passing through programs myself I kept some 'rules' ...You have to accept yourself, love him, get to know him, and feel good about yourself..some feel good when they are accepted by others(majority}. The article may be wrong or bad written.Translating accept may mean friends and family, may means 'likes', may means a true love , a career, anything.It's all about dopamine

Go to page:
Go to: