Go to page:

Confederate Flag

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

To get to the gist of the basic question and the tragedy that sparked it: BURN THAT FUCKIN THING!

Both my parents are from Charleston, SC and I spent much of my youth there, and I've written a number of pieces to that end; including two recently published poems.  I grew up hearing stories about the Klan and what they did to Blacks on the rural islands that surround the port city.  Consequently I learned how to handle pistols and rifles at the same time I was learning to fish and ride a bike.

Traditionalists say the flag is a symbol of states' rights (bullshit) - thats the bullshit that was fed to the Confederate troops many of whom never or rarely saw a Black person nor owned slaves.  Like most wars, the Civil War was about economics and protecting the interests of wealthy plantation owners (ever hear of Halliburton).  The demise of that Confederate symbol on public institutions, and for commercial purposes is long long overdue.  When that flag falls in South Carolina I'll probably cry tears of joy (and get shit faced drunk) - least those nine souls will not have died in vain.

Next: Getting the NFL to get that ass wipe Dan Synder to change the name and symbol of the Washington football team.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Atehequa said:
Well Johnny, it was of your choosing to involve yourself here for the sake of winning. May I ask what it is you hope to win?

I do recall choosing to raise quite a few points about how silly it is to compare the Confederate flag to the American Flag.

Something about dwelling in a past that has little bearing on the present. How descendants of indigenous culture of North America seem to be lacking in a spiritual coping mechanism for how events played out.

You know .... those things that occur when people have a back and forth exchange of ideas and information.

And then discussion was derailed ( again ) when you started complaining about stereotyping.

YAWN.

This is getting boring.

On the bright side, this will probably inspire me to write a(nother) poem.

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

how come the black olives are in a can?

the green olives are in a jar.........

Atehequa
Thought Provoker
Joined 10th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 261

JohnnyBlaze said:[quote-305730-Atehequa]
Well Johnny, it was of your choosing to involve yourself here for the sake of winning. May I ask what it is you hope to win?

I do recall choosing to raise quite a few points about how silly it is to compare the Confederate flag to the American Flag.

Something about dwelling in a past that has little bearing on the present. How descendants of indigenous culture of North America seem to be lacking in a spiritual coping mechanism for how events played out.

You know .... those things that occur when people have a back and forth exchange of ideas and information.

And then discussion was derailed ( again ) when you started complaining about stereotyping.

YAWN.

This is getting boring.

On the bright side, this will probably inspire me to write a(nother) poem.[/quote]

Ahhh, a back and forth exchange of ideas and information. Hopefully it went in a civil enough manner for you. I'm certainly glad you derived a bit of poetic inspiration from such an exchange.

Atehequa
Thought Provoker
Joined 10th Sep 2011

LobodeSanPedro said:To get to the gist of the basic question and the tragedy that sparked it: BURN THAT FUCKIN THING!

Both my parents are from Charleston, SC and I spent much of my youth there, and I've written a number of pieces to that end; including two recently published poems.  I grew up hearing stories about the Klan and what they did to Blacks on the rural islands that surround the port city.  Consequently I learned how to handle pistols and rifles at the same time I was learning to fish and ride a bike.

Traditionalists say the flag is a symbol of states' rights (bullshit) - thats the bullshit that was fed to the Confederate troops many of whom never or rarely saw a Black person nor owned slaves.  Like most wars, the Civil War was about economics and protecting the interests of wealthy plantation owners (ever hear of Halliburton).  The demise of that Confederate symbol on public institutions, and for commercial purposes is long long overdue.  When that flag falls in South Carolina I'll probably cry tears of joy (and get shit faced drunk) - least those nine souls will not have died in vain.

Next: Getting the NFL to get that ass wipe Dan Synder to change the name and symbol of the Washington football team.

It is indeed horrifically sad that nine people perished in a place of worship by someone who glorified the confederate flag. Imagine how it was for the Miniconjou after Uŋpȟáŋ Glešká and his band of unarmed spiritual ghost dancers which mostly included the elderly, women and children were shot down by the United States Army at Wounded Knee. Today it seems some people are taken aback or angered by any of our opinions regarding what the stars and stripes represents to many of us.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Atehequa said:

Ahhh, a back and forth exchange of ideas and information. Hopefully it went in a civil enough manner for you.

It was a little too one-sided.

I've had more engaging discussions with my four other accounts here.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6693

lepperochan said:doesn't the white man's ways include speaking and writing English, using running water and electricity, buying food and clothes ...and hair gel, living in a house etc ?

Sounds a lot like 'what have the Romans ever done for us?' sketch from Monty Python's Life of Brian.
Such things have to be credited to empires: they try to bring people together and speak the same language, if only to pay taxes and obey slightly unnecessary laws.

I look forward to the day where a spiritual person can be in  touch with their chosen path, yet live in the hubbub of the city and make the two synchronise and infuse together, rather than orbit apart.

Atehequa
Thought Provoker
Joined 10th Sep 2011

JohnnyBlaze said:[quote-305744-Atehequa]

Ahhh, a back and forth exchange of ideas and information. Hopefully it went in a civil enough manner for you.

It was a little too one-sided.
[/quote]

Perhaps that is because you saw this as something to be won instead of discussed.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Atehequa said:
Perhaps that is because you saw this as something to be won instead of discussed.

I'm fairly confident that the opposite is true; that at this point I have more to gain from continuing to walk away from this juke box playing a broken record.

fred_r_kane
Flat line---------------
Twisted Dreamer
United States 2awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2010
Forum Posts: 206

In response to LobodeSanPedro:
The Redskins symbol in itself is not offensive.  It's the word, Redskins beneath the symbol that makes it so.  The solution for Snyder is simply delete the word.  Let the team be known as Washington.  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

fred_r_kane said:In response to LobodeSanPedro:
The Redskins symbol in itself is not offensive.  It's the word, Redskins beneath the symbol that makes it so.  The solution for Snyder is simply delete the word.  Let the team be known as Washington.  

Haven't you heard?

White Man and Redskin are practically terms of endearment these days.

Atehequa
Thought Provoker
Joined 10th Sep 2011

JohnnyBlaze said:[quote-305792-Atehequa]

I'm fairly confident that the opposite is true; that at this point I have more to gain from continuing to walk away from this juke box playing a broken record.[/quote]

So long, Waninee Sakeeta.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

fred_r_kane said:In response to LobodeSanPedro:

I know some Native Americans and related organizations who couldn't disagree with you more with regards to the symbol.

Personally, if the New York Knicks were formally known as the Negras or ShineBoys with a picture of "Uncle Ben" as the symbol - even after changing such a degrading name - the symbol would have to go too or the Garden would burn.

... And that's at the heart of this conversation: racist symbols.      

poet Anonymous

everybody kick the jukebox and boombox off and go listen to some shaman music on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wMOOHV_OSg

Atehequa
Thought Provoker
Joined 10th Sep 2011

HollyDove said:everybody kick the jukebox and boombox off and go listen to some shaman music on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wMOOHV_OSg

But it is the traditional songs that have power -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD40vXlXYu0

Go to page:
Go to: