Joined 27th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 5152

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Danii said:http://ep.yimg.com/ay/seagifts/pirate-boat-flags-1.gif

Now there's a flag I can wrap myself in!

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

British submarines used to fly the Jolly Roger on the way back from missions.

I agree with the Rabbit

JacobVidelle
Strange Creature
United Kingdom
Joined 24th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 5

Tell them to fly their flag
now we can see our enemies.

Tacete
who-isthe-silence
Twisted Dreamer
Australia 1awards
Joined 24th Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 205

The greatest tragedy of today is the trade off of humanity for patriotism.

MaggieG
Dangerous Mind
United States 16awards
Joined 27th Nov 2012
Forum Posts: 1831

Atehequa said:Although titled "Confederate Flag" I was referring to how many of us indigenous people regard the stars and stripes as a symbol of hate.

I find your comment interesting...

Yes... There are Indians who are not fond of the American flag. (There are Americans and Indians who are not fond of the American Government separately as well. I am one of them. Hence why I joined AIM when I was 18.)

However, there are just as many who obviously don't mind that flag either.
As the granddaughter of a full blooded Lakota, and the granddaughter of a half Choctaw woman, I will speak for them, okay?

My Lakota Grandmother was born on Pine Ridge.
Up until a few years ago, I attended the Warrior's honoring service every year.

I would say there is NO ONE in the U.S. who honors their Veterans service with more grace and dignity than the Indians. (The respect given to the Navajo Code talkers Pan-Indian is an excellent example. There is no rez in the U.S. that those men were not welcomed on.)

My point? Exactly what flag has the Indians been swearing to serve and protect for the last 100 years? The American flag.

I think my ole Grannie said it best "I was born NOT a citizen of the United States. But, I will remain one of their greatest allies."

To deny that flag, in my opinion, is to deny what many of my elders went to war for " To represent the Indians among the warriors, to fight for the right to CHOOSE if they wish to be Americans or not, and to defend the very land their feet were on as well as the lands their allies lived upon. "

There is honor in that, and they brought honor to that flag in doing so.

neo128
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 28th July 2015
Forum Posts: 6

I never considered the confederate flag to be a symbol of racism. I always saw it as a symbol of treason. :|

poet Anonymous

No matter what you think it symbolizes: racism, treason, white supremacy, slavery, racial injustice/inequality, they all should be taken down publicly. If you want it in your homes, sure, but in public spaces/government (state, local), nope, remove them. People say they're a symbol of southern pride, let the culture/art of New Orleans (but the deterioration of that is a whole other issue) be a symbol of pride, but not a flag...

2B-or-Not2B-Loved
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 8th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 77

It's a part of our history. People need to stop letting things have more power then it does..that's wat I think.

moe0303
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 3rd Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 53

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just got here, and I find the conversation interesting.

I think my take on this is a little different than most. I say that instead of banning or oppressing the Confederate flag (or any other unpopular symbol for that matter), we should embrace it as the subculture that it is. The only way to successfully oppress a subculture is to kill a substantial portion of its members and strike its presence from our history. Short of that, any attempt to oppress a counter culture will only result in creating more of that culture, which seems to be the opposite of what you want.

I come from a different perspective than most in that I am considered by many to be "mixed race" (Hispanic and southern white). I also grew up in a pretty diverse environment in which all people, whether minorities or not, held equal social status as a matter of practicality.

That's not to say that everybody always got along. There were racist people from all the races. One thing I learned early in my life was the fact that ALL RACISTS HATE ME. I was blessed in that I was too Hispanic to be accepted by the white racists and I was too white to be accepted by the Hispanic racists. The rest hated me for either side. I learned to avoid all of them.

In my life, I have experienced discrimination from both sides of the coin. From being blatently accused of shop lifting from a gas station to being told that I had life easy as I inherited money when I was born (my family was poor). I still expect those types of stereotypes today. However, I cringe at the suggestion that some type of social effort could eradicate these thoughts and behaviors. Instead, I think we should encourage them, or at least never discourage them.

By oppressing these sentiments socially, all we are really doing oppressing the expression of these emotions. The sentiments are still there we just can't see them. Look at the anonymous comments on any racially charges issue and you will see that our social repression of racism has had minimal effect. People are still racists, they are just a lot less vocal about it.

Instead, I say, we should encourage retailers to sell whatever they see fit. You wanna sell Confederate flags, fine. You wanna sell swasticas, go ahead. Black power tees, more power to ya.  I think we all need to thicken our skin a little bit and realize that we don't have to agree with each other on everything in order to maintain a health society. By allowing people to feel comfortable expressing themselves, you empower them to take part in open discussion. It is through that discussion and the free flow of information, ideas, and perspective that we will become enlightened.

moe0303
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 3rd Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 53

Man, that was long. Sorry.

I also wanted point out that my statement above relates only to social oppression. I think that only official state and federal symbols should be officially represented on state property.

Invictuskidd
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 6th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 12

Flags are just pieces of colored cloth.
I say none of them should matter.

KittyFromHell
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 31st May 2013
Forum Posts: 654

I am from Mississippi... and honestly I never gave a fuck about the rebel flag until it became such a controversial topic. I'm ashamed to say I jumped on the bandwagon that most of my "redneck" friends did. And then there's the debate about the confederate flag still being part of the Mississippi flag. I think a Magnolia flower would be much prettier and more true to the original flag. for awhile, I waved the confederate flag without really thinking about it. I never recognized racism as a very prominent issue until I started going to a school that was 90% black. my eyes opened to a lot of shit that frankly makes me disgusted with humanity. color makes no difference to me. so many white people around me (and a few black people, just to be honest) say "heritage not hate" or "if this flag offends you, you need a history lesson". I actually did the research and I can kind of see both sides of the argument. I do not think the confederate flag should be flown on public/government property. but if the nazi flag is still legal to display, then the confederate flag being legal is no better or worse. some people say neutral is worse than taking a side... but I try to be sensitive to how other people feel. the reason I stopped associating myself with the confederate flag is because so many people I know that do support it don't give it a good name. every single one of them has blatantly used racial slurs around me, thinking that since I am half white, I'm okay with it. It honestly ruins my day and makes me ashamed to be around them. I need to get out of the South. the atmosphere here these days is fucking toxic

Go to page:
Go to: