Go to page:

Confederate Flag

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Ianhelpless said:a lot of good non racist people including me stand by that flag.

What do you do when you stand by that flag?

Drink beer with your buddies during backyard barbecues and have contests to see who can pee the farthest?

I don't know what to make of this.

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

They shouldn't play lynyrd skynyrd on the radio either.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

...or Elvis

Ianhelpless
Ian helpless
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 23rd Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 14

Listen here yankee, I don't like beer, to "stand by" something is to support it, you and your ignorant buddies is no better than the racist redneck drinking a beer by a Confederate flag, get yourself a better education before you run your mouth. Thats exactly what I am saying is wrong with this world. Ps I'd pee further than you my flag is bigger

Ianhelpless
Ian helpless
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 23rd Apr 2014

There was a small number of free blacks, one founded the town i live in. Some of them wanted to fight for the country just like the white rednecks who drug them on a boat. The front line was pretty much the entire army, do you really expect soldiers just to stand there, chained or not anyone smart enough wouldn't just stand there and get shot, this was the civil war.

Ianhelpless
Ian helpless
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 23rd Apr 2014

You "let" both whites and blacks fight in war. Some people are deemed unfit to fight therefore you don't let them go to war, but if you are drafted, volunteered and are in capable condition, back then was pretty much having both arms, they "let" you go to war.

orchestra__moss
Orchestra Moss
Lost Thinker
Joined 8th July 2015
Forum Posts: 38

Setting aside personal attacks, petty insults, etc...

Hatred trumps heritage. In South Carolina, a state where the Confederate flag is flown over the capitol and streets are named after Confederate military leaders, who flew that flag while fighting for their right to own human beings, a man explicit about his intentions and motivations shot and killed multiple black people in a church - a place where people should be able to go and feel completely safe, especially black Americans, since its apparent that streets, playgrounds, homes, pool parties, etc. (the list goes on) are no longer safe for them either.
It's contributing to a culture of hate, whether you realize it or not.
If you feel your values and heritage are under attack, consider the millions of African Americans that are reminded daily with symbols, not limited to flags and street signs, that are reminders of a terrible past. A past that is apparently still glorified.
One would think that there is a little more to southern heritage and pride than symbols of an army that fought to enslave people.

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014

Ianhelpless said:Listen here yankee, I don't like beer, to "stand by" something is to support it, you and your ignorant buddies is no better than the racist redneck drinking a beer by a Confederate flag, get yourself a better education before you run your mouth. Thats exactly what I am saying is wrong with this world. Ps I'd pee further than you my flag is bigger

The Confederacy doesn't exist anymore.

You can stop supporting it.

If flying the flag made you feel like a rebel, I'd say whatever floats your boat.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

Fuck the Past.

The past is the past so should not have much impact on the present, other than being a contrast and comparison for how to do things differently and better. If it ain't broke don't fix it - well the world is hardly fixed and is somewhat broke so might as well fix it. Problem is, if we actually change the world too much then there is the very real possibility, not of the world being better, but of the world being better but we not knowing how to live in it.
Anyway, the point is that any heritage or culture is a sham: you are your own person with your own destiny and are damn well not going to be able to live the life of your ancestors so make up your own shit.

Symbol cannot be policed or restricted, it just gives it a reason and purpose to be used for evil. What might be better is enforcing and policing how people act: sure you can fly the Nazi flag but start trying to recreate your own Axis and you're nicked. Sure, recreate the battle of Bosworth, but don't actually kill anyone. Sure, recreate the life of Roman legionary or Medieval pikeman, but leave out the disease and aggression.

How different the world would be if no one had a clear idea of their culture or class. (And how worse as inevitably a few through violence create and reinforce their idea of themselves.) Plus how different it would be if you could only kill with your hands and arms, but there was still all these items of defence (such as batons, nightsticks, shields, and collars [stiff collar + strangling = difficulty in strangling] and natural resilience.)

Ramble ends.

Ianhelpless
Ian helpless
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 23rd Apr 2014

Neither does complete slavery so people can get over it. You just proved the whole reason people hate the flag wrong, it's a symbol of rebellion not racism. I don't own a Confederate flag but I sure as hell will now. If gays can be gay, blacks be black, a redneck should be able to be a redneck.

dartford
Paul S...
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 29awards
Joined 13th June 2013
Forum Posts: 249

erm, but if you're black or gay, that's not a personal choice, that's what you are...
but to be what you so colourfully call a redneck isn't quite the same thing, surely...
and what are you rebelling against, anyway...
fair play..?

Ianhelpless
Ian helpless
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 23rd Apr 2014

That is not the point, and there is more of what disgusts me, choice or no choice this is supposed to be the land of the free, and If someone likes a flag let them have it, I'd you don't like the  flag screw off and look for something else to look at, it aint your flag you don't have to look at it and you damn well shouldn't have the right to take it down. If you don't like it move to Vietnam, they'll love to make the rules for you.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

one aspect is the flag  placed at a government
building

the government being an institution of the people who are governed by it.

some of the governed mmay cry out that a particular symbol is associated with unpleasent behaviours

and so it is reasonable that they discuss among themselves

what public symbols best represent
how they want to be governed.

if slavery has now ended and the government of the people wish to grant and enforce freedom then their publicly displayed symbols
should be agreed upon by all members.

i personally regret that Hitlers choice of the swastika put a long
term stain on a very artistic and thought provoking shape.
i like to draw swastikas when i doodle but am concerned that people
might think i want to promote race supremacy

so in summary i think a state capital should be a bastion of
symbols such as flags and statutes and famous quotes that symbolize
the people and their beliefs.

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014

Ianhelpless said:That is not the point, and there is more of what disgusts me, choice or no choice this is supposed to be the land of the free, and If someone likes a flag let them have it, I'd you don't like the  flag screw off and look for something else to look at, it aint your flag you don't have to look at it and you damn well shouldn't have the right to take it down. If you don't like it move to Vietnam, they'll love to make the rules for you.

You can wear the Confederate flag around your neck like a superhero cape and run circles around your home shouting Zoom! Zoom! for all most of us care.

I doubt you will find many if any people here saying you shouldn't have the right to own and display as many flags as you want.

Most miscommunication over the issue is due to saying one supports the flag as opposed to supporting the right to have and display it.

I like bacon.  I don't support bacon. I  want as much bacon as humanly possible. I might be financially supporting pig farmers, but that is the extent.

Danii
Tyrant of Words
United States 5awards
Joined 27th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 5152

[Invalid Image - URL must end with jpeg, jpg, gif, png or bmp]

This is a pirate flag. I like pirates but I am NOT a pirate. And I do not wave this flag about, or wear in or sport it on any of my objects.

Go to page:
Go to: