Page:

the blind angle

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

" can you look Tulla in the eyes and tell her you can't afford to save his sight  ...just four euros is enough to save five children just like Tulla"

-sightsavers advert on tv. all you have to do is text a number and money is transacted. How cool is that.

I'm not convinced. the numbers just don't add up. every  four million euro saves  five million children. they must have at least a ball park figure on how many children in total need to be saved. lets say another 50million ? happy days then all they need is fourty million

could you look Tullah in the eye and tell him you can't afford to save his sight. Would you save it ? would you save it even if you didn't really want to but sinc he made the effort of a trans oceans trip just so as he could look you in the eye you figure four euro is worth getting the strange blind child out of your house .or would you tell him to fuck off out of your house ?

do you get the feel from tv charity adds that they're just out to get your money ?

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

I would prefer to not look them in the eyes. Better for them to, my blank yet piercing sight may freak them the fudge out. I dislike charity tv ads as they more often than not harp on about the problems and ask for money as a solution. A disconnected media asking for a disconnected solution. Much prefer to get hands on and just solve the damn thing.

Having said that at least they are not trying to sell an idea and get you to buy a product. That is bad enough, but when the advert is boring, that is just far too much. It is a mercy Tulla did not have to watch those.

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1530

That's how they seem to me, like nothing but money raising schemes for some wealthy business people who want more money for doing nothing but tugging at your heartstrings o loosen your purse strings. How nice that they send you a picture and tell you a story about how they are doing. It's just like the commercials for dogs who need rescuing from puppy mills. Does any of it actually go to saving them, feeding them or doing anything for them, or is it all to line the pockets of fat commercial makers who know how to tell a sob story you will buy into?

JJ

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

yeah, I'd people knock at my house looking for money for some dog sanctuary. turns out the guys that knocked were from an agency the dog sanctuary hired. the more I talked to them, the less I liked them. I did however adopt a Siberian tiger, ..still paying for his upkeep and not a single letter of gratitude from him

also, I'm getting emails and texts " Eamonn, some tragedy somewhere needs more of your money!!!! "

I wouldn't mind so much if the tv adverts had a counter to say how much they've pulled out of folk and how many people they save and how much more is needed til whatever is eradicated  

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009

lepperochan said:yeah, I'd people knock at my house looking for money for some dog sanctuary. turns out the guys that knocked were from an agency the dog sanctuary hired. the more I talked to them, the less I liked them. I did however adopt a Siberian tiger, ..still paying for his upkeep and not a single letter of gratitude from him

also, I'm getting emails and texts " Eamonn, some tragedy somewhere needs more of your money!!!! "

I wouldn't mind so much if the tv adverts had a counter to say how much they've pulled out of folk and how many people they save and how much more is needed til whatever is eradicated  

It would also be a great idea to have the adverts feature voiceovers and voices who actually have some damn passion, or anger at the problem. Rather than the simpering polite oliver-please-sir limpness they widdle out of the audio.
I mean these things are a problem and they cannot be allowed to carry on while being calm about it.

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014
Forum Posts: 2079

For the past couple of years I've grown increasingly dissatisfied with Aid programs...I've been a long time supporter of World Vision but as mentioned am now dissatisfied...cannot put my finger on it...my monthly donation continues by direct debit while I research other options like 'The Life You Can Save...' (effective altruism) founded by philosopher Peter Singer...They research different Aid Organisations and let you know the top ten or whatever...based on the fact your donation is actually getting to where it's needed to alleviate the consequences of extreme poverty...

Gone are the days where you could donate at some stall setup in a shopping centre and receive your receipt for tax purposes...these days they employ companies to shop for your dollar and sign you up for direct debit on the spot...

personanongrata
Astral Gift
Thought Provoker
Greece 5awards
Joined 8th June 2015
Forum Posts: 272

they want to make people feel quilty because of their disability to rule properly
they prefer spending their millions on newclear weapons

human
Strange Creature
Joined 13th July 2015
Forum Posts: 13

if it's the cataract procedure ... it's a bit of a scam and most of the money is spent on the huge running costs of the charity ... where i live, apparently i'm supposed believe it costs 5000x less to do the same operation than it does if i needed the op, even after they take a 5 hr flight into the jungle with the gear ... i'm down for the victims but the sales pitch leaves me cold

Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 1awards
Joined 4th May 2010
Forum Posts: 2144

Viddax said:Having said that at least they are not trying to sell an idea and get you to buy a product. That is bad enough, but when the advert is boring, that is just far too much. It is a mercy Tulla did not have to watch those.
I met someone yesterday who is shipping out to somewhere near Finland to save the Dolphins. That is probably a noble cause and I appreciate what he is doin(Whatever it was). I don't however agree with selling anything. He waas harping on, asking me to be more aware and promote what he's selling(Save the Dolphins) on facebook. I wasn't sure about that. If I want to, I will. What I'm getting at though is that, in my experience, the only time that peoples opinions do any "good" promoting a subject is when the people they are promoting their ideas to, don't have the boundaries in place to protect themselves from righteous indignation and unless they're willing to form them, you're audience will be a bunch of lost souls.

(I'm a fan of informed discussion.)

poet Anonymous

I donated to a young person's shelter charity on TV by text a few months back. I did it because I have a bit of a soft spot for the homeless and just wanted to do something nice. The next few days I was bombarded with marketing calls from this charity and other charities asking for donations, which made me think twice about ever donating by text again.

That's wrong. If somebody donates out of the goodness of their heart, you don't bombard them and then pass their phone number on to other distributors. I'm still amazed at the amount of door to door charity collectors we still get. As if I'd even consider giving my bank details to a complete stranger stood on my doorstep. The sad fact of the matter is I'd love to be able to give more to charity, and do my bit where I can, but I simply can't afford to. I therefore mainly support charities that mean something to me.

human
Strange Creature
Joined 13th July 2015
Forum Posts: 13

charity starts at home and ends at work ........ unless your a clown

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009

human said:charity starts at home and ends at work ........ unless your a clown

I think Charity starts at home, goes to work, and ends at home. unless Charity's work is something that would take her away from home, such as being airline crew or diplomats.

Building on what Missy said, it is completely daft that charities can bombard someone, anyone. Charity should be a neutral thing, receptive: they receive help/money/donations/volunteers, not press-gang and pressurise to get people flocking to their banner.

Also rather daft, the prices some charity shops demand for stuff - better some money from second-hand stuff than no money at all!

slayer69
Thought Provoker
Australia
Joined 26th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 107

Such organisations probably started out with good intentions, or maybe not. It's irrelevant really. We are sold an idea here, that the problem is so immense that we need these temporary solutions to apply a band aid to the end result of a systemic failure. The real advert that should be broadcast, should read something along the lines of: "Can you look into the eyes of Tulla and tell her that you let major corporations put the pursuit of profit above the value of human life"? Albert Einstein said "you can't solve a problem with the same mindset that created it" so when there is greed that created the problem and there is greed from organisations profiting off dying children, I would suggest the mindset needs to change.
Plus I hate how the adverts show their sad stories in black and white, then the outcome in full colour. It reminds me of infomercials and you don't want me to start on the lack of morality those damn things project onto the masses.

Page:
Go to: