Go to page:

why do endless comps exist?

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

I was looking through the commps list and there are tons of them that never end. This makes no sense to me. How is it a competition if there is never an end and no one ever wins? It's a nice place to post poems on a particular topic, but it is absolutely not a competition. I think all comps should have no more than a one month time limit. I've entered some that went 2 or 3 months and by the time it ends I have forgotten I even entered and if I didn't get a trophy I never know it because I have no idea the comp is even over with. What's the point?

JJ

vortexman
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 25th Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 1260

IT' is probably a means to no end instead of an END...LOL....Enigma....Also a place to share ideas..
Be creative build on more ideas...a never ending blueprint phrontistery for words of the forgotten past...  And who knows where it may lead or not lead..Enigmatically...MY best ANSWER..Coming from
The Out-Cast of All outcast-ed!!  To my family, friends, and Reality itself...  A manifestation of the lost.  Not even sure why 50 plus follow me...
I can be DEPRESSING.

http://phrontistery.info/

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014
Forum Posts: 2079

Competiton doesn't necessarily mean there is an outcome...
We're competitors against others or against ourselves...
For instance endless comps like...Three Word Inspiration, Four Letter Challenge, 12345, 3-5-3, 6 words, 13 words, 20 words, Acrostic and so on are comps that challenge...i like them because they make me think quickly and creatively with my writing...i would hate to see them stopped...
Yes, some of the threads need to be tidied up...and i guess that will be done in time....
i see a lot of older threads are making 'the Recent Discussions' board because new members have been trawling the comps and bringing them back....
I've come to realise that the comps that have a deadline are usually to be found on page 1 and part of page 2...endless ones start on page 2 and continue ....

poet Anonymous

What about comps that end but no award given what do we do with those?
http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/8080/

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

Well, interestingly enough, those comps you like are ones I have never, and i really mean never, even read. I don't like being limited when I speak or when I write. I have never in my life, or maybe a few times in high school when I was forced by my English teacher, written a poem in any of the officially labeled styles of poetry. There is something very confining about them that seems incredibly boring. I remember having to memorize how to define the different styles of poems and thinking how utterly ridiculous it is to interrupt the flow of my soul with someone else's preconceived notion of how to write a poem. WhoopDeeDoo...

As a long winded blow hard, I got things in me I gotta get outta me. I used to count syllables but I found that the flow of the poem was much more important. For all I know my poems may have a format and may follow a particular syllable count, but if they do it is only because the meter allowed it. So 3-5-3 to me is nothing more than a math equation equaling -5.

There's nothing wrong with never ending poetry threads, but I just feel they should be called something else. A competition by definition is something held for the purpose of winning. Perhaps the word "challenge" would be more apropos than competition.

Well, those are my definitions, but I am not the keeper of the rules...
JJ

seekingkate said:Competiton doesn't necessarily mean there is an outcome...
We're competitors against others or against ourselves...
For instance endless comps like...Three Word Inspiration, Four Letter Challenge, 12345, 3-5-3, 6 words, 13 words, 20 words, Acrostic and so on are comps that challenge...i like them because they make me think quickly and creatively with my writing...i would hate to see them stopped...
Yes, some of the threads need to be tidied up...and i guess that will be done in time....
i see a lot of older threads are making 'the Recent Discussions' board because new members have been trawling the comps and bringing them back....
I've come to realise that the comps that have a deadline are usually to be found on page 1 and part of page 2...endless ones start on page 2 and continue ....

hornyatmorn
Twisted Dreamer
2awards
Joined 8th Dec 2014
Forum Posts: 124

While I have found that most proposers and participants of competitions are very serious people and artists, I think that the concept of the competition, if allowed to go on to the extend that has go on in this forum, it tends to get silly (to say the least) and self-cancelling.
In how many comps can we participate?
Easy answer: In as many as we want.
If a visitor that has nothing to do with poetry clicks on this page what will he think? Is this the best way to attract people to poetry?
I don't think so. To an outsider we may look girl scouts and boy scouts. That's the hard truth and however difficult to come to terms with it, we may as well do and ask for more of it besides, ie the justified indifference to poetic matters on behalf of the general public.  
Although I take part in a few of these comps, I only do if I have already some finished or almost finished material that I think it may fit the requirement. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Sometimes one is made to think that people can leave aside all other creative processes and preoccupations in their minds and respond to a call to write a poem about their cat, or their "alternative " ego, or the end of the universe etc, etc, in absurd restrictions that have very little to do with been creative or with the competition itself, such as word counts, forms, rhymes etc, etc, as if such things matter or should matter to them a lot at the time of the call.
But who gives a fig about what a host/ess determines or demands?
We do it cause perhaps there is nothing better to do in this forum or out of boredom, or hopefully, as a relaxing exercise from one's particular and more serious preoccupations.
I don’t want anyone to think that I'm complaining, I learnt to live with it and no one is forcing us to participate, I just feel that all these comps going on have become the main creative façade of this page, and its surface water can look quite staled sometimes.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

buffet offers the promise of infinite food we can never achieve
sex with condom means a baby is not in the cards

do i really need the anticipation and letdown hopefully waiting for some small
token of appreciation and if i ever did win the guilt i must shoulder for taking
the exhileration away from all the otbers who now can never ever win that comp?

the endless comp really is a healthy compromise
i can enter and feel the excitment
inwardly i know i would be the winner given enough time and
though5fulnes

vortexman
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 25th Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 1260

on a lighter note

I hear TROLLs make good Golf-Caddys in Brazil...for the
http://www.aljazeera.com/mritems/imagecache/mbdresplarge/...
It was where they were Born, grew up, and probably will be
gotten rid of like the rats they are......hehe

Atakti
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 1st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 3273

For the love of words.

I find myself bemused that you complain about something you haven't tried. I write free verse 99% of the time, but once in a while will take part in these challenges. If writing free is whipping down the open road, perhaps restricted writing is an engine inspection. Like those amazing guys that can strip a car down to nuts and bolts, poets can check the parts, re-align the smallest thoughts, and put it all back together again.

OK so endless comps could be renamed challenges, point taken. Also, I agree, it would be cool to see more discussion threads, but not esoteric ones about what DU is or isn't, I feel those tend to be self-defeating.

Thanks for the concern! What goodies can you bring to the party?

hornyatmorn
Twisted Dreamer
2awards
Joined 8th Dec 2014
Forum Posts: 124

Atakti said:

To me the question is/should be what goods could one get out of poetry to be bothered with it at all in the first place.

(Being poetically minded is not a prerequisite).

poet Anonymous

personally, I don't really see the point in changing the name.

Endless competition seems apt ... just because there are no winners doesn't mean its any less of a competition in the broader sense of the term.

poet Anonymous

slowgasm said:What about comps that end but no award given what do we do with those?
http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/8080/

What would YOU do to the host who abandoned the party?
Set up a comp "roast the lost host" and ask for poems of revenge.

The abandoned comps eventually hit the voting list.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

a fair amount of people take the couple of seconds to type challenge into the info. it's all semantics at the end of the day.

competitions go on a bit, some people including me have let a competition run on for an extra week or two after closing because of volume. one of them was a competition to write a riddle. there was so many entries ( I think around 40) that when the competition ended I opened up an endless one to let people have at it

it's only a title, I mean it wont effect your poetry and as you say it's a nice place to park poems. it may also give them some interest when people read and go to your profile to read more.

I think you're right though to point out the wrongness. Booooo! it's us members that this rests on. it's all about typing a few words      

poet Anonymous

Craic. I want that troll av for my scream saver.

Atakti
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 1st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 3273

hornyatmorn said:[quote-303084-Atakti]

To me the question is/should be what goods could one get out of poetry to be bothered with it at all in the first place.

(Being poetically minded is not a prerequisite).[/quote]

Sure, poetry offers much to those who write. Poets can do that offline. On this interactive poetry site though, we can challenge and encourage each other - comments, comps, exercises and discussions. What is it exactly that you think needs to change? You seem very passionate about how to define poetry.

Go to page:
Go to: