Go to page:

What should i change my name to?

DancingAlone
Calum Oliver
Twisted Dreamer
United States 3awards
Joined 16th Jan 2015
Forum Posts: 64

Hey, so I'm FtM trans and I wanna change my name with my transition. So which one do you guys like. Feel free to suggest others. :)

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

I voted Arse, dunno what it means but hey it's kinda like Aries so happy days. and go you, you've got balls. I can respect that

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

Pick something that compliments your surname.

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014
Forum Posts: 2079

Congrats dancingalone on following through with your desire to become who you truly are...
Names are important and they carry a lot of energy which most parents don't always think of when naming their children...
So, are you absolutely sure about the four names you've whittled it down too?

Ares, meaning 'male' but also the name for the God of War; Hades meaning 'unseen' but also the name for the Dark God of the Underworld; Oliver from 'olive tree' and Dean meaning 'valley' but in urban slang meaning 'huge penis'...

If you're not in a hurry to choose may I suggest you do further research ...
Choose one that flows when said together with your surname but more important choose one that depicts who you truly are...listen to the energy that called to you to make such a change in your life, for the name will be spoken when you listen...
Don't leave it up to a poll...it is your choice and decision alone....and once chosen research the numerology and meaning of the first letter of that name...
I think the author Juno Jordon wrote a book many years ago giving the meaning of each letter; the idea was to read the reference relating to the first letter of your christian (first) name...i did have the book but cannot find it...if i do find it I'll let you know...  

Kou_Indigo
Kara L. Pythiana-Ashton
Tyrant of Words
United States 68awards
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2784

Me, when I transitioned (basically, I was born a hermaphrodite, got classified as "male" by my family who wanted to raise me as such, which I did not like because I have always identified as female, and decided to embrace my female side and transition from "male" to female whether my family liked it or not)... I decided to choose a female name that had a special meaning to me. I picked the first name Jessica because one of my heroines was Lady Jessica Atreides from the Dune novels by Frank Herbert. I picked Jennifer because I knew a girl when I was in middle school by that name, who was always nice to me and who left a good impression on me. Also, there were a couple of actresses by that name who I liked a lot. And my last name, I simply left alone since it was my family name and that's pretty much not gender-specific. So my advice is for you to choose a name that has meaning to you and is special to you, and which you can totally see yourself using on a daily basis for the rest of your life. Me, I transitioned so well, and took to using my new name so completely, that now people ONLY know me as the woman I am today and by the female name I chose for myself. In the end, my family came to accept my decision, although getting some of them used to it was tricky at first. I have always felt that coming out and living full-time as a woman was the best decision I have ever made in my life! I hope your choice, and the gender you have chosen to embrace, brings you just as much joy.

Great to see more transgender people on DUP!

(Regarding my transition, I was actually rather lucky... being a hermaphrodite, I already had half female genetics so I did not require hormone replacement therapy, which is usually essential for Male to Female trans-women. I didn't require gender therapy either, since being a hermaphrodite it wasn't so much a matter of dealing with gender identity disorder as it was making the decision to choose the gender I most identified with and just going with it in life. Naturally, I do fully believe that for those born as fully male, those with no female genetics in them... most certainly, in their cases, gender therapy can be very helpful, and HRT a vital part of the transition process.)

socialflutterby
Germacide
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 19th Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 16

I couldn't choose for you, be who you want to be x but i do love Roddy for no apparent reason ;)

Sentinel
Maggie Santos
Lost Thinker
United States 2awards
Joined 22nd Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 40

I like the name Destinee

DancingAlone
Calum Oliver
Twisted Dreamer
United States 3awards
Joined 16th Jan 2015
Forum Posts: 64

Thanks everybody for your comments. They're really helpful. I have thought about the names a lot and still have a lot of indecision on the matter. My anxiety is kinda getting in the way of my transition right now, so thnx.

Solomon_Song
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 103awards
Joined 28th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 331

Whatever the reason if I were to choose a new first name I would make sure it does not sound rude if it is said in short or (deliberately or otherwise) mispronounced. (That has been a topic of conversation among peers who had new children, thinking ahead of what they might get called in the schoolyard if a particular name was chosen.)

BoFantastic
Thought Provoker
7awards
Joined 24th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 333

the name Stank Sauce suits you. it has a lofty sentimental regality to it. you shall be the life of the party and the conversation piece of every gala. I dub thee, Stank Sauce.

zoeygirl
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 22nd May 2015
Forum Posts: 25

you should change your name to whatever best suits you and your personality. you know yourself the best. also don't be discouraged by others trying to cuse problems for you.

SaintSixx
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 8th June 2015
Forum Posts: 3

If Possible, change your name to a Verb.
dont know anything about trans, but that doesnt matter. if your gonna do it, use the chance to make your first name a VERB
because...damn.
you know youve REALLY made it then

Solomon_Song
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 103awards
Joined 28th Sep 2012

SaintSixx's suggestion "make your first name a VERB" reminds me of - who was it said it - "To do is to be".

Kou_Indigo
Kara L. Pythiana-Ashton
Tyrant of Words
United States 68awards
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2784

This is totally unrelated, but I remember when the singer Prince changed his name to a symbol because the name he chose was unpronounceable in the English language. Some people around that time took to calling him “The Artist Formerly Known as Prince” or just “The Artist” and more than a few gave him the moniker “Symbol Man” which although silly was very catchy. I think the sky is the limit when it comes to name changes… you can pretty much, as long as it is not because you’re on the run from the law or anything, change your name to pretty much anything in creation. The most silly name change I ever heard of was this guy who was in the news and he was in trouble with the police for something or other, and they said he had actually at some point changed his name to Obi-Wan Kenobi. I really couldn’t help but laugh and think to myself: “Ah, Obi-Wan! How low you’ve sunk… once, you were a noble Jedi Knight, a master of the Ways of the Force. Now… you’re a wanted criminal, and not by the Empire. Sucks to be you, mister Kenobi!” So yeah… sky’s the limit indeed.

But in all seriousness, my previous advice still stands. Got to go with whatever your heart tells you: is right for you, and make sure it is a name that you can really, really see yourself with in life. :)

Solomon_Song
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 103awards
Joined 28th Sep 2012

The Artist Formerly Known As Prince - I used to think of it as TAFKAP for short.

Go to page:
Go to: