Go to page:

Persecution of Christians

DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 1391

You said that statement singles out the Christian. How? It doesn't refer to what creed your talking about, just the fact that one was referred to. You repeatedly ignore people who point that out and expect them to put up with it.
How did it end the last time it was pointed out, was it still 'I can do what I want'? Your opinion being that unless stated otherwise, religion belongs everywhere. The option of agreeing to disagree is better for you than it is for me, that way you go back to doing what many have objected to and can still claim to have had an open debate, while taking none of the views of the other side on board.
Yes, religion may play a big part in your life, and be your moral compass but your not a missionary, as far as I'm aware.
I am not here to be converted to any religion.
You keep missing the point, personal views are fine, quoting dogma is not. Just because it's not all fire and brimstone, it doesn't make it any less preachy or pushy. It's not the 'personally I believe' parts that I object to, it's the bits in quotation marks.
As for the other beliefs, all I've seen is personal ones, not dogma.

Why is it so much to ask for that quotations from holy books are left out? If you find that intrusive, can you not see how doing so can feel intrusive to others?

poet Anonymous

lepperochan said:Ok,  chances are, by now people might be questioning the wisdom behind asking the question in the first place, and I would agree.  For the most part, responses have been civil and honest, but there does seem to be a point where people lose patience/ temper.  

I don't got God in a biblical sense, people's beliefs don't bother me at all but to be honest in the past five or ten years I look at organised religion with an amount of contempt and see Christians as more lost than I will ever be, and if I am honest will sometimes look at individual Christians as idiots who would swallow a bus  ...and if I am honest will throw sarcasm and ridicule at them. Christians! It's not that I am intolerant, more that I am better than you, so I will Laud it over you at times.

I was wondering if anyone else felt that they were a party to this kind of behaviour from either a godless or Christian standpoint, but alas it seems I am the only one.

I apologies for being better than you all, and will try inject some humility into my interactions in the future.

When was the internet tolerant ? People are the internet

That "I am better than you and will laud it over you" has been seen here before. You are not alone. Remember what happened to Smack Hex.
No one is perfect in knowledge (no matter if he's swallowed an encyclopedia or bus). We all can learn something from others. Rather than slamming someone for what you think is error, try to set an example of how you wish to be treated with your own shortcomings.  That "do unto others as you would they do unto you" advice.

Sarcasm is so misundertood, doesn't belong in any rational discussion. I know several members here do use it a lot, but I swear it's hard to know for sure when they are serious about a belief expressed. I have seen some people post statements that appear to ridicule other folk, then when they are confronted with rightful anger, they claim "I was just being sarcastic."  Makes me wonder if they were actually sincere in delivering the original statement, but then just use the "sarcasm" excuse because they couldn't handle the backlash.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I keep a mop handy when Lep is about, he often drips sarcasm over the DU floor that someone might slip on. But I do enjoy tongue in cheek sense of humour.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

are you Muslim ? why don't you like the words of Jesus ? wat's wong with you ? y'know the world would be a much better place if people just towed the line and believed in stuff instead of rebelling all the time.

quote the bible, quote Fredrick Nietzsche , or David Ike, Dawkins, Pope John paul, Arch bishop of Canterbury. it's all the one, you're letting other people do your talking for you. which, in the context of open frank discussion or debate on a writing site is probably kinda lazy.

sometime over the past six weeks, my rank changed, but I haven't, at least I don't think I have, and am fairly confident that if I do I'll  be told quick enough, and I'm cool with that. the point is, I like interacting on forums and competitions n such. at times I can be funny, thoughtful, sarcastic or plain shit-head, I would not like the colour of my rank to impede on me being myself.

religion is a touchy subject. I know that. it's also one of the few subjects around here that'll get people exchanging ideas and beliefs in any kind of a passionate way. talking is good, whenever people engage with each other here for a period of time moral seems to lift and interaction ie commenting, writing, inspiration raises up a bar.

I think we need to encourage people to post their ideas, question things, question themselves. and maybe

DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 1391

Yes that's right, sarcasm doesn't belong in rational conversation but religion does.
Gonna use the sarcasm get out of jail free card?

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

Yay, for humorous sarcasm, tongue-in-cheek, banter, facetiousness.  It lightens the heaviness in the air... well for me anyway.    

poet Anonymous

I haven't used sarcasm since '72….

Christians: lovin' getting persecuted since Jesus was a lad….they're like the Jews of religion.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

Deathproof said:I haven't used sarcasm since '72….

Christians: lovin' getting persecuted since Jesus was a lad….they're like the Jews of religion.

I was just getting the gist of it then.

I imagine Jesus had a sense of humour back in the day.

poet Anonymous

Magdalena said:[quote-299766-Deathproof]I haven't used sarcasm since '72….

I was just getting the gist of it then.

I imagine Jesus had a sense of humour back in the day. [/quote]

Hell yes he did…the way I heard it, while he was hanging up on the cross he called out to one of his disciples, said "John, come to me john", so john fights his way past the guards, taking a lashing for it to get closer, but still jesus cries out "closer John, come closer"., so john mans up and fights his way even closer, takes a real good beating this time to do it. Finally John gets right up under jesus and asks "lord, what is it you want to say to me?", and jesus lifts his head up, looks out over the crowd, grins, says "mate, I can see your house from here".

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

haha

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

DystopianMelody said:You said that statement singles out the Christian. How? It doesn't refer to what creed your talking about, just the fact that one was referred to. You repeatedly ignore people who point that out and expect them to put up with it.
How did it end the last time it was pointed out, was it still 'I can do what I want'? Your opinion being that unless stated otherwise, religion belongs everywhere. The option of agreeing to disagree is better for you than it is for me, that way you go back to doing what many have objected to and can still claim to have had an open debate, while taking none of the views of the other side on board.
Yes, religion may play a big part in your life, and be your moral compass but your not a missionary, as far as I'm aware.
I am not here to be converted to any religion.
You keep missing the point, personal views are fine, quoting dogma is not. Just because it's not all fire and brimstone, it doesn't make it any less preachy or pushy. It's not the 'personally I believe' parts that I object to, it's the bits in quotation marks.
As for the other beliefs, all I've seen is personal ones, not dogma.

Why is it so much to ask for that quotations from holy books are left out? If you find that intrusive, can you not see how doing so can feel intrusive to others?

It singles out the Christian, because you're going tit for tat with me, and not with those who don't share my views.

I never said religion belongs everywhere, and I don't even believe in religion or practice it myself;  religions are man-made thought processes, made to fill some gap in their lives, or to impose upon others, depending on the "religion".  I believe in God, only, and look for him in my daily life, and let him lead and teach me.

No, I'm not a missionary, but there are times when I "minister" to others, based on some area that I am learned or skilled in;  one doesn't need a degree from a theological university, to lend a hand, lend an ear, or give some meaningful words to someone else in need, and in doing these things, I am actually showing the character of God, through my actions and words, as opposed to following some dogma that in many cases tries to fit God into a box to make him and his words say what they want them to say, rather than what they actually mean.

If someone reads Muslim holy books, or Buddhist writings, or even the Satanic Bible, and they find comfort in the words and it works for them to apply those to their lives, then why can't the Bible do the same for others?  People quote all sorts of things both here and online in general, and if we counted the times someone got offended by something, then be spending every second of life, tallying up the ruffled feathers.  

If I feel the need to add a Scriptural reference on occasion, to help explain a point, then I'm entitled to do so.  I would certainly want others to feel the same, with referencing whatever else they feel is relevant to their own posts, and I would hope they do quote other sources--knowledge comes from all places, it adds to the discussions, and even gives ideas for other topics to write poems on.

Yes, I do at times, also add a Bible quote to my poems/writings, for the same reason--to draw out the point of the piece.  But--where the poems are concerned, there is no valid argument to say the words do not belong in them, because poetry and writing is an art form, a creation of the artist, and an extension of themselves as they are at any given point in life.  If I can't put God's word into my own, personal writings, then maybe other people can't put some of the many other things they do, into their own personal creations.  

"Agree to disagree", here, means that I understand where you are coming from, and I respect that entirely, but that needs to go both ways.  If what I write, isn't your cup of tea, then the simple solution, is to not read me; bypass my posts and poems and carry on.

poet Anonymous

DystopianMelody said:Yes that's right, sarcasm doesn't belong in rational conversation but religion does.
Gonna use the sarcasm get out of jail free card?

lol. okay, I understand this sarcasm because the content of your previous posts shows where you stand.

I will rephrase what I said now. Sarcasm isn't always understood on a serious debate. Perhaps sarcasm could be better identified if a rolling eye icon or a winking smiley is placed beside the sarcastic remark?  I just want people to be better understood when they communicate their feelings/beliefs on this site.

Goddang I love rainy days. Rain forces me to stay indoors and ramble on the net about things that won't be read by anyone anyway.

I'd much rather run naked out into the storm and hope someone sees me. Ha. (<<< There's the sarcasm.)

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

hornyatmorn
Twisted Dreamer
2awards
Joined 8th Dec 2014
Forum Posts: 124

Please, don't burn Christians on the streets... it's unhygienic.

Anarchitect
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 21st Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 105

Madame Lavender can preach to me from her missionary position  anytime she feels the stigma, but I'll be damned if I sit there and take it like a cold TV dinner handed to a pussywhipped husband. Do it to me and you run the risk of having Satan's wadded up underpants fired back you from a potato launcher.

Freedom of Speech for me, Freedom of Speech for her, Freedom of Speech for Fake Realtor, Freedom of Speech for EVERYONE!!!!!!

Go to page:
Go to: