Go to page:

Persecution of Christians

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

see it all the time here. Why are Christians persecuted, ridiculed and sniggered at , Why are YOU so quick to bash the faithful. Why has our cyber-space become so intolerant that it cannot afford allowance to the good word, the faithful, etc  

poet Anonymous

persecuted? i think not. not in the united states at least. they like to stand up and say they are being persecuted, but our government thankfully keeps that from happening. there is a difference between persecution and being ridiculed/laughed at.

NOW, that said. there are christians persecuted world wide. they are imprisoned, beaten, killed, tortured, etc etc.

they are persecuted because the Bible tells them that they will be. it comes with the territory. the Bible tells them to be set apart from the world. anyone who is 'set apart' and not conformed to the world will be held up to some kind of ridicule.

sadly, many of the outspoken christians on the internet are spouting uneducated and inaccurate information, in my opinion. couple that with them being 'against' so much and not telling me anything that they are 'for' turns my stomach.  

poet Anonymous

Its not always necessarily the Christianity that is being 'bashed'..although it can be. When has cyber-space ever been tolerant?

Slightly unrelated but somewhat related quote...

"Yes, the long war on Christianity. I pray that one day we may live in an America where Christians can worship freely! In broad daylight! Openly wearing the symbols of their religion... perhaps around their necks? And maybe -- dare I dream it? -- maybe one day there can be an openly Christian President. Or, perhaps, 43 of them. Consecutively."  — Jon Stewart

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

There are many reasons why Christians are "persecuted":

"Sinful behavior" or what's considered "sin" is fun in some respects and easier in others, to some, and people don't want to hear that they might be wrong in some of their actions--examples:  stealing, cheating, abusing others.  It's far easier for some people to take what they want instead of working for it, cheat their way through school than putting in the effort to learn it, or punch someone instead of saying "I'm sorry" or looking for a way to work it out.  So, they spit upon those who do make the effort to overcome those things, because they don't like to admit that they have a problem, or a hard time with things themselves, out of pride that if they do admit it to themselves, then they might feel a little shame.

Jealously is another reason why persecution happens--some people who are non-believers, can't stand the fact that some who are believers, have made drastic turnarounds in their lives, and have attained much, both in tangible and non-tangible "goods" in their lives, and hey, the grass is always greener, but it still pisses them off that someone might have something they don't and for whatever reason, can't attain.

Also, looking from a spiritual sense, when someone has the realization that God is real, they also realize that so is the Devil.   There's a whole "spirit" world that's happening around us that we only see in part right now, but if you think about it, Satan, or "the Devil" isn't so fond of God, because of the whole "Fall" business, where Satan basically wanted to be God, himself, so God said nope, see 'ya.  Well, that sort of pissed off Satan, and look at all he's done to try to stop others from believing in God:  PERSECUTION

If you think people are persecuting people, well, you're right, but look deeper--there's a reason behind that and if you agree that there's a spirit realm, then wouldn't it be possible for some of the spirits to not be so friendly, and go around planting ideas in peoples' heads, to persecute others?  Some believe in ghosts, or look at all these mediums, calling up spirits--there's some truth to all that, but it's figuring out who's the good guys and the bad guys, is where the line blurs.

1 John 4:1 says "Test all spirits" and by that, it means question whether or not, what you're hearing and seeing, is in line with what God claims to be, and if not, then it's probably not of God.  (and also that will make a great party trick, the next time you're at a seance and you want to stir things up a bit--ask the medium to question the spirits as to if they'll admit that Jesus is Lord and has come in the flesh--and watch the flustered response you'll get.    )  But in all seriousness, we are to question what's in the spirit realm, if you subscribe to that belief at all.

Personally, I believe that there's a spiritual aspect as well as a physical aspect to all persecution.  Some people might have an idea planted in them, and for whatever reason, they allow it to fester and grow, rather than to question it and find out if it should be believed or not.  

There's a whole lot that we don't know right now or are only partly privy to, but that's my take on the whole business.

(*waits for persecution to happen now....*    )

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I wondered where my cauldron got to.  Give it back Lep.  

I don't think it is right that someone is persecuted for their religious beliefs... but I do think it is fine to tell such a person to fuck off when they try and shove their belief down a non interested persons throat.

There are also Christians guilty of persecution to other religious or non religious persons.  Swings and roundabouts.

DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 1391

TROLL IN THE DUNGEON!

fake_reality
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 12th June 2012
Forum Posts: 1028

You know if God ever did anything thing wrong it was to make man  in his image with free will. Well maybe now you'll understand why I think Islam is a religion of hatered. I think about these people sometimes. It's a good thing that there is nothing written about harming other, otherwise I'd kill the animals that do this.Can we have a moment of silence for them?

http://www.assyrianchristians.com/images/massacre_july04_1.jpg
https://fellowshipofminds.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/muslim-human-sacrifice2.jpg
https://syrianfreepress.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/syria-christian-massacre-3.jpg
http://www.thecommentator.com/system/articles/inner_pictures/000/005/152/commentary_thumb/Kenya_to_Iraq.jpg?1407498993
http://www.barenakedislam.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/nigeria-muslims-slaughter-christians-2.jpg

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

I think we are all prone to being different, some make an effort to be different , some like to be different within the relative safety of a huge crowd of people with the same difference.  I think many people have lived godless lives, some outspoken and have converted to one faith or another when time dictated it might be prudent ..just in case.

I think it's a mistake to get into the habit of not exploring options or to stay static with a belief about anything. I think Christians out there in the world of faith ..of good faith, will show good faith in their interactions and in doing so invite persecution . As pointed out in the first response, Christianity has always been persecuted ...Christ ! The guy was nailed to a cross like a common thief

Also pointed out, there is a flip side to that coin , Christianity, the entity has slain, oppressed and misery-ated , billions of people.  But not necessarily on the Internet ..in fairness

fake_reality
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 12th June 2012
Forum Posts: 1028

If kill in the name of the bible your not under the faith. That just means your a unbeliever with a bible.

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

Persecution is apparently a matter of perspective. Many people who are not Christians feel persecuted by Christians. Sometimes it depends on where you live and who is in the majority or who has the power over others.

People are persecuted by other people everywhere on Earth. Religions persecute other religions, colors persecute other colors, wealthy persecute the poor, races persecute other races... the real question should be, why do people persecute other people.

Well, as I have been studying this problem with humanity for the last 47 years, I believe I know why, but I don't know why the why exists. You've probably read my diatribes about hatred before, but no matter how you liable hatred, it all boils down to the 3 Seeds, fear, greed and pride. Something tells me I'm going to be posting 3 Seeds once again because no matter how many times I have posted it, read it out at open mic poetry readings or tried to explain it, I feel like the only people who get it are the singers in the choir.  Humans desire power over each other. The other always resists, so an arms race begins. The anger builds for the resisters which over time becomes hatred which leads to persecution by those who gain the upper hand. Those being persecuted fight back and do their best to persecute their oppressors and the cycle goes round and round as the world turns. We live in an endless soap opera of badly written scripts and the revolution is televised and radio-ized and internetized and selfy-ized...

Humans need to reboot humanity. If we don't learn to let go of hatred, we will eventually build a bomb big enough to destroy all of us. We have one now that is nearly completed, it's called the Earth, and we are warming it up year by year. We have persecuted the air we breathe and the water we drink and the land we grow our food in relentlessly for the past couple hundred years and now the planet is fighting back. But the planet is bigger than us and it is just beginning to persecute us with extreme weather, with climate change and the extinction of honey bees. Our dooms-day device has nearly reached the tipping point, but just like hatred, we refuse the accept that we have a problem in need of a solution.

It boggles my mind how so many intelligent people can be so fucking stupid!

JJ

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Magdalena said: 

I don't think it is right that someone is persecuted for their religious beliefs... but I do think it is fine to tell such a person to fuck off when they try and shove their belief down a non interested persons throat.

There are also Christians guilty of persecution to other religious or non religious persons.  Swings and roundabouts.

I agree with this--any belief system persecuting another belief system, Christian or other, is wrong, and any belief system trying to forcibly shove their views down another's throat, should indeed be told to fuck off.  Whatever "view" is going too far/over the top/too forcibly, be it Christian, Muslim, Wiccan, Hindu, etc. then yes, they should be told to come up for air.  

There's nothing wrong with SHARING views, but FORCING them on others, needs to be kept in check, because when the belief system tips into the over-the-top arena, then it essentially negates the belief itself and what it is attempting to accomplish.  

From a Christian standpoint, I believe that Christians who persecute, and have done so in the past (i.e. Crusades, Westboro Baptist Church), have missed the point of what God/Jesus stand for, and have fallen into the trap of the enemy, who is using them to preach just the opposite of what they set out to do--brilliant, sneaky plan on Satan's part, there, to discredit the whole she-bang.

I also believe that on the flipside, that being the one under fire and not the one doling out the persecution, that a bit of a thorn in one's side is also a good and necessary thing.  Jesus said "take up your cross and follow me", and by that, he didn't mean that once you become a believer, that life would be rosy and peachy, and you'd have no troubles, but rather the opposite--you're still gonna have crap to contend with, but getting kicked around a bit, serves to keep one's focus on God, to have the faith to endure and know that God will get you through whatever it is that's the present persecution.  The same would apply to any belief system--whatever your god is, then being persecuted for your beliefs, could be looked at from the same angle, that it can draw you closer to your god.

Atakti
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 1st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 3273

Fucking labels.

There is no argument in the world that succeeds when launching its parameters using labels.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Atakti said:Fucking labels.

There is no argument in the world that succeeds when launching its parameters using labels.

Well, for laundry, there is--didn't you read the label, Atakti??

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp333/LisaM0214/laundry_zpshrezl8d2.jpg

Austin_Rura
Austin Rura
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 6th Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 327

Anybody that disagrees with you or even belittles you for your beliefs i think should best be ignored as people with an opinion dissenting from your own expressing their freedom of speech. the only time i think offense should be taken is if actual harassment is committed against you. Logic aside this is the Internet and people have been known to do and say what they want. I myself am a secular humanist and my belief happens to be atheist. This is all internal. The external world is never going to personally match my internal perceptions or anybody else's for that matter. In fact having my own name and face as well as the outward knowledge that I am atheist some would consider me a target, but targets don't stand up for themselves. Every major religion seems to in fact condemn and at the least threaten atheists. We see this in the Middle East, Egypt, parts of the good ole US of A, etc.

Go to page:
Go to: