Go to page:

Should gays be welcomed to marry in church

m_abbott1999
Madi
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 2nd Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 509

I said no because a church shouldn't have to amend their religious beliefs for anyone, no matter how outdated or immoral and hypocritical the beliefs and practices are.
This being said, I'm wicked pro gay marriage. Pro live your life for you. Love and let love. Whatever. Just dont impose the way you live on the way a religion is practiced ; the same way a religion shouldn't impose (even though it does) it's rules and regulations on the way you live.
Analogy: I worship vegetables therefore i am a vegetarian, but i love to eat a good piece steak a few times a week.
No, you're not a vegetarian. You just like most of the principals.
No, you aren't Baptist. You just like some of the principals. Ect.

m_abbott1999
Madi
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 2nd Dec 2013

I feel like i should quote a random piece of religious text here to make myself seem more knowledgeable and legitimate.
Wait, thats not the way it works, is it?

stormiwyndz
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 17th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 28

I say who the Fuck cares, leave them alone, let them have their equality. They are human too! Shame on you, those of you who are so wrapped up in your "God" that you can't see the pain you inflict on others!

fake_reality
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 12th June 2012
Forum Posts: 1028

Ok... Now I am not going to debate (unless someone wants to) or make a big fuss, I am trying to help you all to harshly. Ok I'm just trying to understand here. Why does everyone keep talking about beleifs here, that doesn't register I only see God and everything else, it's really simple not that I don't try to make it complicated to justify my sin at times. Ok why would anyone belive that they have the right to do and belive in the frist place here? I am just not following the logic, becuse I know that I have none of these rights. Where do any of you get the idea you do? Which taken forward would answer why you think to gays can be married.

m_abbott1999
Madi
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 2nd Dec 2013

Your God told my God to tell me to tell you to suck a fat one.
Sorry.
Just doing the wills which God has sent me to. For he also believes your sentences are incomplete and thou shalt use...grammar check.

poet Anonymous

I think that my moral outrage against the church is justified, anyones is...for way more reasons than just their beliefs about gay people, but by discriminating against gays they are basically(in my view) putting themselves in the same category as (and this is going to sound a tad controversial) The Klu Klux Klan. Theres obviously nothing that can be done to change their views, but its at least okay to treat them as petulant children for having them....then again this might just be a petulant childs point of view on the matter.

...the church should just stay out of peoples bedrooms.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

thanks for your opinions.

so the actual vote here is on 22 may. its to do with changing the constitution, or more specifically writing this clause into the constitution

" Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction as to their sex "  

here’s a quote from a leaflet pushed through my letterbox last night :

" Marriage is not about equal rights. for example, there is no right to marry a sibling, a young child or more than one person. rather, it is about establishing norms for sexual relationships within society :  a marriage is the foundation of a family and families are the foundation of a civilization. the institution of marriage, by its definition, can only be entered into by two people of the opposite sex.

changing this would not be equality, but rather the dismantling of marriage.

it finishes with a quote Matthew made from 19:04-5, then :  For the common good vote no

which is fair enough. if you take their foundations analogy for a second. foundations are fundamental. if you mess with a foundation you will more than likely weaken it. there would be nothing gained for the long term if a foundation was weakened in order to strengthen the building that sits atop it.

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

Anarchitect said:Let him yank everyone's chain for another 6 pages.

He thinks he is, but really we love it...look at us getting all up on our high horses :-)

Indie
Miss Indie
Tyrant of Words
Australia 34awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 3209

lepperochan said:

" Marriage is not about equal rights. for example, there is no right to marry a sibling, a young child or more than one person. rather, it is about establishing norms for sexual relationships within society :  a marriage is the foundation of a family and families are the foundation of a civilization. the institution of marriage, by its definition, can only be entered into by two people of the opposite sex.

it finishes with a quote Matthew made from 19:04-5, then :  For the common good vote no

which is fair enough. if you take their foundations analogy for a second. foundations are fundamental. if you mess with a foundation you will more than likely weaken it. there would be nothing gained for the long term if a foundation was weakened in order to strengthen the building that sits atop it.

Marriage and families aren't the same thing. There are many married couples who choose not to have children and many unmarried couples who have children, and then there is divorce, blended families, etc, etc.

To the best of my understanding marriage is about two people choosing to commit to each other for the rest of their lives. Which is fair enough. People don't need to get married to have children. Nor is getting married proof of love.

We live in an era of freedom of choice, and two people regardless of gender should be able to choose whether or not they want to commit to the institution of marriage. Whether or not gay men and women choose to marry each other has not baring on traditional heterosexual marriage. The only time it might is if they do it better.

poet Anonymous

The more the church changes to accommodate the needs of real people, the better.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

MadameLavender said:...well, how would it go over if someone held a Hetero-Pride Parade or a Heterosexual Club?  Probably not too good, and the crap would hit the fan and "discrimination" would be cried all over the place.  

What are you doing next weekend, doc? I was thinking about swinging by Plato's, if you're up for some casual fun.

http://youtu.be/uX_YJP0YaGs

poet Anonymous

lepperochan said:

Having to change the definition of marriage is not a very strong argument against same sex marriage, and the degradation of the meaning/foundation of marriage in doing so is an even weaker one.

Marriage and its role in society has changed drastically over time(usually for the better), this is just another chance for it to improve further...It used to be about forming alliances or acquire land and of course producing heirs. People have come a long way since then, love is now usually the prevailing reason for marriage and people of the same gender are just as capable of loving each other as anyone. Also, gay people can and do form families, children aren't always necessary to do this but for those who want them there is always adoption.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

yes, but in the case of children, adopted or otherwise procured are we sure that duplicating either a mother or father won’t have long term mental effects on the child. are we sure that the child wont feel inclined to follow in his parents footsteps and become gay and go on to marry another gay and encourage his or her children to be gay, thus contributing to an endless cycle of gay families producing gay families. I mean, look if being gay is that important to you, happy days, just leave the children out of it

..this message was brought to you by the Christians Under National Togetherness

poet Anonymous

It would definitely be a unique experience or childhood, but once it becomes more widely socially acceptable I don't think it would really matter whether your parents are gay or straight, as for mental effects...I don't know, but I don't think its possible to inherit gayness through observation, because straight people have gay kids all the time.  

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

unique yes. [ thick Scottish accent ] " growing up with a gay father: in the school playground there’d be three boys playing the ’my Dad will kill your Dad’ game.

the first one started off strong : "My Da’ll get your Da’s and punch their fuckin’ lights out"  

and the three kids looked at the ground and thought about that for a minute. the second kid looked up and said ( with some confidence:
"aye,  well my Da’ll get up and beat your Da’s heads aboot with a stick til their ears are bleeding"

the three nodded for there was no doubt that the beating would occur. they each contemplated the scenario. then the third looked up with a smile

"aye, well your Da would have turned my Da on with the stick, so my Da’ll tie both your Da’s up and fuck them up the ass"

the three looked at the ground, and two of them shuffled their feet slightly and felt real remorse for the position they just put their fathers in  - Frankie Boyle ( somewhat paraphrased )

Go to page:
Go to: