Go to page:

Is it just me?  But is something up with DU?

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

PsychicApocalypse said:I was thinking the same thing actually.
Then again I wondered if maybe they thought the same thing about me.

At times I don't come on DU for an entire month,
then they are times where I literally live here.

But yea... I haven't seen a lot of entries in a lot of competitions.

Not the amount that I would have expected to see.
I want to believe mostly everyone's is busy than lazy,
because even I get wrapped in work and forget to submit
my entry.

but this place is very important for me, because I get vent
stuff that I really don't need staying on my mind,
and though it has calmed down since then, I do admire those of
whom I follow their poetry every day.

I'm with you better half (your name when you marry).  I love DU because you can interact with like minds, with out the nonsense of social media chat sites.

Keep up the good scribble.

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

I think we always pine for the good-old-somethin'....and yes, the place has changed, but is always was and will be. Different personalities come and go, and the tone of the mods changes too, allowing a difference in the way the forum game is played...

Shit's fucked up, but that's how we like it.

I'm pretty quiet myself, when once I had all sorts of shit to say....let's blame the lack of drugs and alcohol, and a general apathy toward anything my finger's have to say....

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

hemihead said:....let's blame the lack of drugs and alcohol....

Too much of that happening at the same time in the same space creates a fucking vacuum of sorts, next thing you know some bright spark will be running poetry comps on Pilates.... just a theory.

stormiwyndz
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 17th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 28

You guys are so awesome!

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6697

Aha! It is not just you snugglebuck. To me DU seems to be in somewhat of a rut: a rut of lazing in the sunshine and mellow production. As apposed to the days and weeks of frenzied activity, or the rare Ages of Wonders where one poem or competition generates a horde of replies, posts, poems, and thoughts.
It seems to have been this way since the copying debacle, can't remember the exact topic or site involved, but that one where a poet from another site was copying poems here and trying to defend acts of blatant plagiarisation.
Its not too quiet, not quite dead, as it felt after the 'Exodus', but not fully firing on all cylinders.

Still, a good time to rest and restore strength so that the dragon of inspiration can blaze forth once more...

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 1391

It's not just you. For a while the place I'd come to love was gone. There were no more helpful critiques, no more engaging conversations in the forums and most of the amazing poets that had inspired me had dissapeared. Nothing stays the same forever though, and slowly but surely it's picking up again. The faces that used to be next to every other comment have stopped posting so regularly but there's plenty of new ones... I still wish there were still a few snarks around though, made life a little less dull. Look at me... Not even one sarcastic comment or snide remark. I should be ashamed of myself.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

...and apart from Tornado and stuckinahardplace, nobody even fucks anymore... What's happened to this place? You've all become fucking self-conscious or something.

Ghoulie
Just G
Fire of Insight
10awards
Joined 20th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 920

case28 said:...and apart from Tornado and stuckinahardplace, nobody even fucks anymore... What's happened to this place? You've all become fucking self-conscious or something.

I can't speak for everyone else, but being prego really depletes the needed energy reserves for writing in general, let alone ridiculously awkward perspective of erotica :-P

DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012

In my defence, I've always been too much of a sop to fuck. I make luurve instead.
And it's usually to myself these days... I didn't realise my unpublished masturbation poems were in such high demand.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009

case28 said:...and apart from Tornado and stuckinahardplace, nobody even fucks anymore... What's happened to this place? You've all become fucking self-conscious or something.

Whassa matter? Little babby going to go wa-wa now it has no playmates to cry with?

But seriously, its rather nice having this lull and not an unending shit-storm where simply being in the forums means you have to take a side.

Or maybe its you who have changed and not DU? (Does that count as a sarcastic comment, a tame one mind you.)

Ah you younglings look a gifthorse in the mouth before you shoot it! Why back in ma day I remember when the flame-wars were all around, and when the sarcasm force was strong in these here threads. And many were the trolls who rampaged and raped the words, and mighty fell and terrible things were said.

Here is a blast from the past of the Golden Age; the 3 word inspiration competition. Write a poem based on three words, then post 3 words for the next person to use.
(Something about a 5 word thread that went on for yonks also rings a bell. Any other old-DU-timers please chip in.)

DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012

Can I supply the three inspirational words??
Fuck. Shit. Cunt.
Let poetry ensue!
No?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009

Ah, ye wee eejits! If you're going to do it then its goes in the competition thread as an endless one, or a new thread under general what-not. And on top of that you acutally have to write something more than just the same words repeated or even the words and a few lines.
If this be the future of poetry and humanity we be fecking fucked!

Nice try though, just if you are going to troll and sarc it up it'll need a bit more than that. If memory serves then it requires a brand new thread and bot just words but also picutures! Pictures of varying relevance.

DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012

Pictures may take a while. Fuck is a very distracting word to google Y'know...

Go to page:
Go to: