Go to page:

Is it just me?  But is something up with DU?

jIMNUT_rOARIN
Thought Provoker
Canada
Joined 13th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 43

MadameLavender said:
Some have their feathers ruffled because erotica gets all the reads, or something else gets more attention than them; so what? Why do you care so much about what you're not getting and what others are?  Perhaps you already have what you need right at this moment in time, and we all need to grow where we're planted and learn to love, accept and work with what we presently have, and then maybe that will open new doors to more.  Did you only get 5 reads as opposed to an erotica's 356 reads?  So what, so what, so what.  Did writing your measly 5-read poem, touch someone else?  (read the comments)  Did it stir something in you?  Did it heal or release something in you?  Did it accomplish some goal you had?  Was it pleasing to YOU?  Did it give a feeling of a lightened load on you, or did it make YOU happy/pleased?  Was it something that needed to be written? <---If "yes" to any of these questions, then you've done your job and that's all that was needed for that particular write.  

Look inward, before you look outward, and you might be surprised by what you'll find, or even not find.

This is a powerful statement, it says all there is to be said.  It should be placed somewhere in the DU Introduction somewhere, like in the FAQ or somewhere as an answer.

This site is so awesome for having the full spectrum all smorgasborged together!  Actually one thought I just had was that it would be kinda' cool on a person's poems pages that the "Sort by:" drop-down menu could search and display the poet's poems via DU category - probably a lot of time and hassle for the poor Webmistress to program that in though!

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

snugglebuck said:[quote-296730-lepperochan][quote-296728-snugglebuck]

Congratulations on being preggo, and when the birth of your beautiful baby comes let us know.  It would be a wonderful prompt for poetic inspiration.

there is no such thing as a beautiful baby, they look ugly as sin  when they're born [/quote]

True.  They often remind me of something that isn't done baking, and probably be put back in the oven.  But like newly hatched baby naked robins in a nest, they're still beautiful in an homely sort of way.[/quote]

funny enough, this subject was touched upon in a fourm thread too:

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/chat/read/5260/

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Perhaps the forum would be livelier if a certain someone wasn't filling comps up with cryptic digs at other members and  leaving them up long enough to be read before systematically deleting them.  And then throwing flaming insult laden tantrums when confronted about it.

Just saying.

poet Anonymous

Reasons are personal for lack of enthusiasm.
Certain DUP rules which are constantly tested by nagging trolls (and plagiarists) have caused me to exit several times for my own stress relief. It's a killjoy to see trolls scamper about unchecked.
and when one of those well known trolls begins to pull poems of other members and copies them in full on other comps just to make fun of them, that's abuse which no good mod should tolerate. It's copyright violation. Can we not post our poems in our forums and comps and personal poetry without hassle of another member trying to rip them off just for mean purposes to gain attention???

poet Anonymous

The situation you guys are referring to makes everyone involved look petty. If you really wanted to stop it the easiest way of doing so would be to simply move on....your current approach of repeatedly, often times indirectly "confronting it" (which usually results in more of the same exact thing your trying to stop) doesn't seem to be working.

Of course there's always the off chance that your bored and don't really want it to stop, which is totally fine so long as you don't disguise whatever it is your doing as being righteous.

This is just my opinion, take it or leave it.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

Just as a general statement, not directed at any one person at all, but in any community, online or in the non-internet world, each member of that community needs to work within their role, pull their weight, do their job, participate however, etc.  Ideally, if everyone, everywhere, did that, then all things in life would work far more smoothly, but such is not the case, as we live in an imperfect world.  Every once in a while, we all need a reminder (myself included, so no one thinks I'm being self-righteous because I have the pretty purple Mod-letters next to my username) to be part of the solution and not part of the problem, and if that's too difficult or presently unattainable, for any one individual, then there's the door--don't let it hit your ass on the way out, so that everyone else can carry on, regroup, work on what needs working on, etc.  

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014

Ooo said:
The situation you guys are referring to makes everyone involved look petty. If you really wanted to stop it the easiest way of doing so would be to simply move on....your current approach of repeatedly, often times indirectly "confronting it" (which usually results in more of the same exact thing your trying to stop) doesn't seem to be working.

Of course there's always the off chance that your bored and don't really want it to stop, which is totally fine so long as you don't disguise whatever it is your doing as being righteous.

This is just my opinion, take it or leave it.

If it is makes me look petty to spend a whopping 5 minutes of my life quoting a few examples of the behavior, confronting the individual as to why he is doing it, laughing off his tantrum induced insults  and bringing the matter to everyone's attention here in what I would consider to be the most relevant topic,

then yeah ... I'm petty.

This forum seriously needs an eye rolling smiley.

Now that the evidence is preserved in amber so to speak and a spotlight has been cast on the matter, I can just as easily ignore the person and move on. Feel free to further discuss the behavior. Or not. And continue ignoring it.

LordCreepy
Colten_Sorrells
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 29th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 51

Testicles... That is all

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

Clean up in the "Comedic Poetry" thread = necessary
Clean up in this thread = necessary as well

Being part of the solution = refraining from poking the pot, further, where trollish behavior was exhibited, because it just makes us look like trolls as well

mjs211
MikeTheEngineer
Dangerous Mind
United States 20awards
Joined 22nd Aug 2010
Forum Posts: 1572

Magnetron said:This forum seriously needs an eye rolling smiley.

If you hit the green circle with the arrow by the "Post" button, you go to a more complete posting screen. But you can use any of the smileys just by knowing their tag--the eye rolling smiley can be used from the regular post screen by just typing "rolleyes" inside square brackets. Same as "smile," "grin," "wink," "cool," "lol," "oops," "confused," "eek," "mad," "frown," "cry," "nonsense," and "evil."

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014

mjs211 said:[quote-296957-Magnetron]This forum seriously needs an eye rolling smiley.

If you hit the green circle with the arrow by the "Post" button, you go to a more complete posting screen. But you can use any of the smileys just by knowing their tag--the eye rolling smiley can be used from the regular post screen by just typing "rolleyes" inside square brackets. Same as "smile," "grin," "wink," "cool," "lol," "oops," "confused," "eek," "mad," "frown," "cry," "nonsense," and "evil."[/quote]

I meant a smiley with real rolling eyes.

http://i2.ifrm.com/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 1391

Magnetron said:[quote-296990-mjs211][quote-296957-Magnetron]This forum seriously needs an eye rolling smiley.

If you hit the green circle with the arrow by the "Post" button, you go to a more complete posting screen. But you can use any of the smileys just by knowing their tag--the eye rolling smiley can be used from the regular post screen by just typing "rolleyes" inside square brackets. Same as "smile," "grin," "wink," "cool," "lol," "oops," "confused," "eek," "mad," "frown," "cry," "nonsense," and "evil."[/quote]

I meant a smiley with real rolling eyes.

[/quote]

Would they be human eyes or animal?
How would you get them to roll after being removed from the donor?

m_abbott1999
Madi
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 2nd Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 509

Demon, of course.

Anyways, maybe to rouse some shy, lesser-involved DU members...you could have them shadow you. Kind of like an adopt-a-poet. Then kick them out of the nest and watch them fly when they're ready. If you dont like the idea, then that's cool. Don't adopt.
Just try reaching out if you want to help.
Also,
R.i.p. to the big profiles that I am no longer seeing here.
Tides are turning...or the ship is sinking.
To soon to tell.

DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 9th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 1391

I want to adopt a member. I would call them stevie (after my tv) and teach them to be as annoying as humanly possible, and have mood swings sudden enough to give readers whiplash, and how to eat enough sugary foods to give yourself diabetes in a day. Also, I think I've perfected the art of arseholery.

Stop impersonating Chucky from rugrats, were not all dooooooomed.
Things change, people move on and sometimes move back. I think some of the names that stayed really stepped up.
Positive vibrations and all... Y'know, like vibrators.
I'd like the number of reads and comments to go back up to how they were, but we gotta be the change we wish to see in the world, as some bloke in a towel once said.

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

Adopt me man...already (almost) toilet trained.

I like the "sinking ship" analogy, because I often remind my crew that all boats are sinking, it's just that we bother to empty the water out of the ones that we like or care about....the DU is the same.

I personally stopped commenting (after awards for doing it so much), because the PM's and general abuse got boring...trouble is, when you don't dick-suck to make sure people's butts don't get hurt, they often take your tone as making trouble or pissing on their parade.

I think the DU has "ended" thrice since I been here...and yet, it remains...

Strange shit. Let's write, right?

Go to page:
Go to: