Page:

How to Kill Fire Itself

fieryangelsouljia
M6rr6g6n
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 30th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 263

Okay some of you are aware that I am writing a book. My book takes place in a fantasy world and I am putting Jinn into the mix, because of the mystical desert setting. In fact, Jinn are going to play a big role in the second and third book in the trilogy. Now, Jinn represent fire because they are fire spirits. Nar Jahannam is the greatest antagonist in my book and he is the king of the Jinn, the embodiment of the element fire. Nar needs to have a weakness, something that my protagonist can use to defeat him. So I ask myself, "How do you destroy fire himself? How do you defeat the king of the Jinn? I have spent a week racking my brain with answers, but alas have come up blank. If any of you have any ideas or suggestions feel free to comment. Also, though I have done quite a bit of research on Jinn, I will be grateful for any information anyone has. thank you :)

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6694

Given that the Jinn represent fire, and you fight fire not with fire but with water, and water can be linked to diplomacy and language, a riddle could be the solution. It could fit, as an embodiment or representation of fire might somewhat stereotypically be rash and quick to anger.

Other answers could be along the elemental line: wood, metal, earth, water, air. As although a jinn can take the shape of anything, it would be difficult ot take the shape/aspect/embodiment of such other elements. Seeing as Nar Jahannam is the king of the Jinn it would make sense that they are the most tied to fire; are more like fire than any other thing.

Another answer could be a lantern; Nar Jahannam in a brash show of power turns into a blazing fire to impress the protagonist, who then quickly scoops a lantern over Nar Jahannam. A lantern or a closed container, maybe something with earth or water in it: so that not matter how hot a fire Nar tries to become he cannot escape.

poet Anonymous

well, fire only burns as long as oxygen is present. right? so maybe he gets trapped in a vacuum of some sort?

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

Fire needs three things;

heat
fuel
oxygen

take away any one of those three = no fire.

fire-fighting generally works on removing oxygen (foam) or reducing heat (water's primary role in firefighting).

A bomb can be used to put a fire out. A (now standard) way to put out burning oil wells is to blow them up. For a brief moment there is no oxygen, because the bomb's fireball uses it all in the near vicinity, and the oil fire stops. To do this, they also use a lot of water first, to cool the area enough so that there is no spontaneous re-ignition after the explosion.

(for anyone interested, this is about as dodgy a way to earn a living as has ever been invented....     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjM12xDlSX0)

fieryangelsouljia
M6rr6g6n
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 30th Nov 2011

depletion of oxygen, entrapment, riddles, elemental forces.... ya know... what if i somehow rolled it all into one grand finale? Also, what other powers should the Jinn king have besides shapeshifting and fire magic? Illusion perhaps? telepathic powers or forms of dark magic?

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

to always know when the milk is about to go out of date, without opening the fridge...

BoFantastic
Thought Provoker
7awards
Joined 24th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 333

well, how do you destroy a star? with a black hole, an object that is  massive with no volume will destroy a galaxy, a universe. you have to create a pseudo black hole. NOT A VACUUM, but a black hole. Stars can still burn in a vacuum.

poet Anonymous

If your king of fire is the main character, its just a wee bit too cliche to give him a weakness involving anything elemental
Why not make his own temprement and ego his flaws...maybe his nemesis and weakness are himself

Anything else makes this story one thats been written a hundred times (daily)

Give it a twist
Make it unique
Say something that others are not saying or in a way that they haven't yet...

In the world of superheroes and fantasy lands, you have a tough fan base and better make it legendary

Good luck! I think you can do it

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6694

Perhaps to add some menace or paranioa to the story the Jinn king could be more than just a fire mage but fire emodied: so that he can transport/teleport to any fire anywhere should he wish to. Once there he can watch and listen, and sometimes spread the fire; to burn down houses and burn fields.

If memory serves well, then aren't black holes never-ending: once they pop they don't stop? So even a small one is bad bad news.

fieryangelsouljia
M6rr6g6n
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 30th Nov 2011

Ah Lord Viddax, I love that idea. And as for miki, the Jinn King is the second antagonist my heroine faces in the trilogy. I love the idea of him being able to teleport fire. What if he had different kinds of fire? Like blue fire, flames of darkness? This is getting really good.

Page:
Go to: