Go to page:

At what age should you allow your kids to start dating

Warlord
Lost Thinker
Ireland
Joined 21st Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 31

Hi .
So I'm an Irish traveller and we don't allow our daughters to date outside marriage
But I've never  been completely ok with that I've seen to many bad marriages come from it.
so I'm wondering at what age do kids normally start dating
And is it better to wait until there over 16 or will this cause more problems then it solves

ilovescarystories
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 7th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 159

We'll teenage affection is mostly based on being impulsive, a teen may not always know the best choice. They may choose to be a rebel, or be a honest hard working couple. Most of the time they are impulsive, however they think they are being a honest hard working couple. Most of the time love is something from forbidden, such as Romeo and Juliet, a "farmer boy falling in love with a princess", it goes on. I think making the thing forbidden just makes it more desirable.
There are some teenagers that really do fall in love. And when they do, it's not right to stop that love. Sometimes teens come to age a ton sooner then adults do.
I mean someone asked me out when I was in first grade, so there's really no age to be honest.
Dating will also evaluate a person very we'll, may not be perfect but it's a lot better then getting married and then learn about the person.
It's very likely that if you outlaw dating in your house.. Your teens will probably still get a bf(you just may not know that they got one)

poet Anonymous

Deependz ain't know dieperz.
Itt'z yer choiss
und knowbodee'z fault butt myne.
Axe zepp.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Different strokes for different folks.

Depends on the maturity level of my children's minds. They will date regardless of what a parent allows if they want to (such emotions will make a person very driven and determined)

MsRockyJackson
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 1st July 2014
Forum Posts: 318

Well I growing up in a over protective family and being grateful for nothing bad happening to me because of it.
I probably wouldn't let my children date till they were 18 and its not because of trust or anything just that I know the amount of pressure dating puts on you.
Especially when you're young you barely know what's going with your emotions let alone your body. It's best to wait because dating is such a big responsibility and somewhat of a hard thing to do with so much social pressure.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

I let my daughter date when she first started getting interested in boys, probably around 15-16, if I remember correctly, but it was always chaperoned by a parent.  I don't think the interest should be squashed because of age, but there should be limitations based on age. It's healthier, to let what's eventually going to happen, naturally, happen, but you can keep the reins on it, by supervison and monitoring.

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

if i had a daughter i'd fn dare you to try to come pick her up........

Gg78
Tyrant of Words
United States 26awards
Joined 5th Mar 2011
Forum Posts: 9051

fieryangelsouljia
M6rr6g6n
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 30th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 263

i was 16 when I started dating my boyfriend. In my mom's culture girl's at 16 are considered young women and are expected to have the maturity and grace to find themselves the perfect mate for themselves. So i was allowed to date my boyfriend, because my parents trusted me and according to my mom as long as i took care of my grades, I was fine. My dad was more protective but it's been a year and two months since my boyfriend and I have been dating. I actually dated him after being friends with him for a while. I dated him out of security and made sure the match would bring happiness to both his parents and mine. So I was a little political in my choosing as well, since my folks are picky about boys. I didn't know I had fallen for him until three months after we started dating and even then I was a bit reserved. I'm almost 18 now and my parents accept him as family just as his parents accept me as family. I guess it's about being raised right and having a smart and intelligent mother to teach her daughter the proper handling of young men. It is also about a sturdy father teaching his daughter to be wary of the assholes, tools, and trophy diggers. (he also taught me how to beat their asses) so in conclusion, I say 16-17 is a good time to start dating and exploring what you like and don't like no matter your sexual orientation. It will most likely be something that comes in handy later in life when you want to settle down with someone. I personally believe I have found the one for me, but I'm still young and only time will tell

DancingAlone
Calum Oliver
Twisted Dreamer
United States 3awards
Joined 16th Jan 2015
Forum Posts: 64

Being a teenager myself, I'd say anywhere from 14-16 would be best, but always be careful. I know some kids now a days that would ramnce them, ave sex, and leave.

poet Anonymous

Mai 1st tyme eye wuldint have cawed itt uh dayte. Itt wuzzuh raype akuallee. Eye wuz forteene. She wuz 28.  Butt eye luvd every mynitt uv itt. Eye onlee dayte oldher chikks. Butt iff yer kiddz R'nt payin' attenshin dey myte git rayped.
Dat kynduv stuff happinz awl da tyme. It'z reel sexx tew. Nawt reelee uh dayte kneether!

Warlord
Lost Thinker
Ireland
Joined 21st Mar 2013

Thanks for all the comments I will try to take them on board . at the moment I'm leaning towards 17 with Id being seen before she goes out the door or no date

Jestalessa
Dangerous Mind
Scotland 35awards
Joined 27th July 2010
Forum Posts: 2329

i have 3 daughters... dunno what dafuq i'm going to do when they leave the "eeew, boooys" phase...

GraveyardBard
Mr. Addams
Twisted Dreamer
United States 2awards
Joined 26th Jan 2015

I was 16 when I entered my first relationship, which lasted 3 years. It purely depends on the maturity of the two people in the relationship, age doesn't have much to do with it, as long as there's not a huge age gap. You learn from past relationships, good and bad, and know what mistakes not to make in the future. As long as you're honest with your kids about the dangers of being in a relationship (I'm not just talking about sex, break-ups are a bitch that no one ever warned me about), you shouldn't have many problems

Sentinel
Maggie Santos
Lost Thinker
United States 2awards
Joined 22nd Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 40

Really does depend on who the person is, there are some 30 something's that arent ready to start dating yet.

Go to page:
Go to: