School Construction Project For The Highland Maya

mbass33
matthew bass
Fire of Insight
Honduras 7awards
Joined 22nd Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 334

Hi!
My name is Matthew Bass and I have been a DUP member since November of 2010.  Right now I am living and working  in the Guatemalan highlands.

I am the Project coordinator for a Tz’utujil Maya school in San Juan La Laguna, Guatemala.  For the past few months we have been in preparation for a fund raising campaign to begin the initial phases of the project.

In about one month we will begin the next phase of the project, which will be raising money for the purchase of the land and construct a building of 10 classrooms with a modern kitchen.  The estimated cost for phase 1 will be $120,000.

The school will be built with ecologically sound all natural materials by the local community of San Juan.  This initial phase will be the largest and most critical for the entire project.  Your support is important and any form of support is graciously appreciated by the people of San Juan.

Here is a link to a blog written by the architectural NGO Tribe Lab who is helping the community design the school as I write this about our last meeting on February 27:
http://tribelab.tumblr.com/post/112797251717/a-new-school-project-for-the-indigenous-tzutujil

On April 13 we will begin fundraising for the first phase, and begin construction late summer.  All support financial, material, or taking the time to share this information with a friend is valuable to everyone in the project.  Be sure to subscribe to Tribe Lab on Facebook for the blog post about our next meeting Friday, March 13.

The community of San Juan thanks you for your support, and we look forward to sharing more information about the project in the future.

Page:
Go to: