Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

33.33% • 5 votes • Mayweather (decision)
33.33% • 5 votes • Pacquiao (decision)
20.00% • 3 votes • Pacquiao (KO or TKO)
13.33% • 2 votes • Mayweather (KO or TKO)
Total votes: 15
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

Mayweather...used his extra reach to stop manny coming in clean. Very good fight, with manny showing more heart.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

Cheers, man. I'll see if I can get it on the tube

Win any dollar?

Looks like the majority on this poll would have lost their shirts

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

By unanimous decision apparently.  

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010

I'd have lost mine too. The extra height, and more importantly reach, of Mayweather was the decider. Mayweather sat off and controlled the distance of the fight, so manny had to kinda lunge in a lot to get his shots off, took too many hits on the way in or out doing it. Since neither puncher was strong enough to finish the other, it was the number of those unanswered Mayweather punches that swayed the points count in most of the rounds.

Manny did show the more heart, and honestly if they had been more physically matched, Manny would have taken the fight. He found may weather's chin many times, with some really sweet overhand shots. Those are probably one of the hardest punches to land, on a guy who has 4 inches more reach then you.

The opening rounds, where they showed each other a huge amount of respect, were very good…in these rounds it was Mayweather who took the longest to find the rhythm of his man.

I think in looking back on this fight Pacman will be seen as the greater boxer, the greater story, because he took on a very very good fighter who had a big height/reach advantage, and never let the guy expose him. Mayweather, if he was that good, should have sat the much smaller man down at least once, and been far more dominant. I don't think manny was found wanting any time in that entire fight. Manny may also say that he thought he was ahead on points, and that is why he didn't lift in the final rounds, but I doubt that is true. Although he was the fighter going forward for much of the time, and had some good flurries, he just didn't land clean enough or often enough. Again, he was giving away too much advantage to a very classy fighter, and in the 11th and 12th rounds he knew it.

Mayweather won it fair and square. Manny gave the better boxing demonstration.

A rematch would be pointless, unless manny was allowed to take steroids. Mayweather dropping any more weight to square things would make him too weak to be interesting, while keeping his height/range advantage to score like he just did.

An honest fight.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

chers, Hemi

that's the kind of summing up one would expect on a writing site.

can I ask, do you have a formula for such writing ?

JAZZMANOR
Tyrant of Words
United States 38awards
Joined 4th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 103

My humble take is that it was a good boxing match but not a blood battle that many craved, which tells us more about society's desire for violence then the two people involved. I do feel the hype as the greatest fight ever was a stretch and neither guy will come anywhere close to being humanitarian of the year

EngrVV
D_Poetic Engineer
Dangerous Mind
United States 40awards
Joined 11th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 2483

I thought I just saw a good sparring session between two good fighters. Now that the prelude to the hyped event was over, I wonder when will be the real fight. I'm glad I did not go to Vegas to see the fight, otherwise I could have lost thousands of (paper) money.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

It certainly didn't live up to the hype, and certainly not worth the $100 PPV price tag especially considering it'll be on for free on two cable outlets next week.

All n all a dreadful sports weekend for me ... Lost on the Kentucky Derby ... My San Antonio Spurs got ousted from the NBA playoffs in the final seconds ... Lost $$ on Pacquiao (caught the fight at a local bar for free).

It's a good thing writing poetry pays so well.

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010

lepperochan said:chers, Hemi

that's the kind of summing up one would expect on a writing site.

can I ask, do you have a formula for such writing ?

The only formula is to roughly know how many words you are planning to write, so you then know how quickly to move...if the intention was 50000 words I would start with them warming up so differently, then go look at their childhoods, the current political and social framework...all that shit.

Norman Mailer wrote a book about his experience following Ali in the lead up to, and during, the Rumble in the Jungle...it is the near perfect blueprint for anyone to follow. (hunter Thompson was at that fight, but never wrote it...damn shame).

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Cheers, you make a lot of sense. I've never thought of it that way to be honest. I suppose if one works with paragraphs a lot you'd have a fair idea of a decent sized one, so you might have a fair idea of your word count progression.  I used to think that a decent sized paragraph was between ninety and hundred and fifty words, I suppose it's kinda preference, that said I reckon some team of scientists put a lot of work and money into finding the perfect word count for a paragraph

Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts

Go to page:
Go to: