Go to page:

can you name one god given right

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

There is a bit of a fuss going on in Alabama concerning  a gay marraige case. long story short a Judge ( who ruled in favour)  said  rights come from god and not governments. a politiction said no,  rights come from governments.

I think myself that both of the arguments are wrong. I think rights are a system designed to impede people while  empowering  others. another class system

anyhow, what do y’all think

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6697

One god given right: faith, religious faith. As surely without a god to worship then there is no god-centric worship.

All rights come with responsibilites, a yin and yang if you will. They are ratified and classified by government, discovered by humans and people, often attributed to god or nature, though often unequal overall, taken for granted by those who have it, and wanted by people who consider themselves rebels but are just part of the system.

Rights if anything are intrinsic to reality and nature, a lot like scientific forces; there in existence and classified when needed. They are defined and detailed when inspected but otherwise are a nebulous and ethereal thing otherwise.

hornyatmorn
Twisted Dreamer
2awards
Joined 8th Dec 2014
Forum Posts: 124

Governments and gods are all illegal.
Rights and responsibilities come from nature, from conscious life itself, that is, and they should be shared equally by all humans.
Animals have also rights, but it cannot be said that they should share responsibilities.

fieryangelsouljia
M6rr6g6n
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 30th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 263

marriage being between a man and a woman is a christian concept. I pointed out a simple argument in my government class: If we have a separation of church and state, then why does a politician's religious beliefs on marriage even effect the people in the first place? If the christian god is all loving and stuff, then why are people condemning two people who love each other just because they are the same gender and what gives the government the right to stick it's nose into one's private affairs if those private affairs aren't harming anyone? Rights come from neither a higher deity or a government. All humans have free will and can do whatever they choose. The concept of having "rights" came from the building of social structures. But I can agree that there are certain things that humans have a "right" to just like every other living creature on this earth has. Some of them being the right to live, the right to die, and the right to protect themselves and to pass on their genetic codes to their offspring. Every other right is basically stemmed from society and religious beliefs and none of them are really "god given" or given by laws. they sort of weaved their way into societies, not really as laws but as moral guidelines.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5600

Rights come from Governments..., and so do some wrongs.
"Free will" comes from God, and within that is the choice to have or not have rights, to do what's right, and to do what's wrong.
Therefore, having rights is a personal choice that must be exercised on everyone's part, governments as well, within the confines of how we have chosen to govern ourselves.

"Give to Caesar, what is Caesar's, give to God what is God's" meaning simply : live by the rules and rights we've set up for ourselves to be governed by, but give the thanks and praise to God for the free will ("right") he gave us to decide how we want to use that and all that comes with it.

And then there's always the right to remain silent, lest we incriminate ourselves, sometimes to the point of getting our last "Rites".

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

If God created us, he has the right to tell us whatever he damn well pleases, especially if he has the power to end it all.
As far as our rights, we have a right to life, first by God's action of giving us life and then by commanding "Thou shalt not kill"!
I don't have a problem understanding that and I don't even believe in God.
JJ

poet Anonymous

To say that we are only here to procreate really takes all validity from the lives of those who are unable to do so. Should infertile couples be considered mistakes? Not anymore than Gays should. Our lack of understanding Science and standing on faith has caused dark age suffering too long. One fact is that the center of the part of the brain responsible for sex drive is smaller in gay males. Understanding Science always takes the blame from god and the people.  Genetics is a complex area and will prove a predisposition from before birth toward certain things. Even serial killers show differences in brain makeup and genetics. I want my "God given" or - Birth right to allow me a piece of land to build shelter, animals and fish to hunt without permits, medicine that works for my illness that is natural and without government approval that is merely political economic controlls. I am a slave and now that I know it I can never be content here. I am an alien that will return to my planet soon but I feel sorry for humans, they have sold their lives for the all too tranparent promise of a better one after death. At this rate, the artificial intelligence will take over and render humans obsolete for one reason or another. There are so many reasons to pick from!

When humans can stop doing all things in the name of God,  they might actually find God.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

We have two God given, natural rights
"The right to die"
"And the right to be taxed"
Neither rights shall be denied
And no one shall escape them either
Not the atheist, nor the pious

Of this, I have absolute certainty.

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

i'm gonna love,fuck,eat,drink whateva,whoeva i want,

if some elected or declared divine official has an issue with it,

can't wait to discuss the problem with them personally...

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

'Rights' are a development of the human condition, nothing to do with God (or a god). Our primary instinct as living creatures is to survive. Gradually we realized that you stand more chance of surviving as part of a group rather than on your own. But living in a group requires some sort of generally-agreed rules, otherwise the toughest bloke and his mates in the group would always be able to impose their will on all the others. Hence the development of laws, and following on logically from this, the development of rights (and responsibilities). If these notions break down, anarchy follows, and if you think anarchy sounds like fun, try living in a place where it's the norm (e.g.Syria, Libya, north-east Nigeria) and see how you like it then.

Tacete
who-isthe-silence
Twisted Dreamer
Australia 1awards
Joined 24th Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 205

Yeah, the fiction section.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

I’m not sure you can call death a right, its more of an inevability, be it natural, self helped or imposed. life is not a god right either, how could it be ?  

let’s not get confused with laws. god nor government never gave any of us the right to anything. god commanded, governments govern.

I don’t by into the chaos theory, with out rights set out by governments we would all be plunged into a Syrian type existance. Syria inor Lybia are the way they are because of lack of rights. hell, Saudi Arabia has little to no so called rights and its nothing like either.

let me be clear here, seperate legal rights away from this thread. right to a lawer, right to silence etc, they are law.

so, what kind of rights has god gifted us with ?   :),

poet Anonymous

if we are going strictly by what god gave us, i would say our only given right is the right to choose.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

“I’m an atheist and I thank God for it.”

- George Bernard Shaw

Go to page:
Go to: