Writing means much more to me than flushing defecated words
They are all I have experienced in passion and in pain
They are everything that healed my mind and all that kept me sane
We may share all of our feelings in similar shades of ink
But my poems ownership still belongs to me
Yet through all of that you can still borrow my verse
Each time you read my poetry  

(JJ Johnson)
[/quote]Well put, JJ. Thank you all for turning this into inspiration. Poetry/words will always be the most effect tool we ever possess.

crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2635

Pissed The Fuck Off

Get your own ideas

From the trees of inspiration

The poems that are written

Come from the soul they don't need

Your rewrite or revision

No one needs a clone or a copy

A mere shadow

Mocking in tone

Fuck that shit

If you have nothing original to say

Why not quit?  

utenaka
cyanide kid102
Thought Provoker
Germany
Joined 9th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3

blue_angel said:[quote-290340-MadameLavender][quote-290331-utenaka]
Poets!

i trully dont understand your rage and accusations. why you see yourself as "victims" instead of being flattered someone used your lines in his/her poem.
beside of this:  socalled "plagiarism" is a normal instrument in writing of writer -postmodernist. For example punk Icon, Kathy Acker blurred the boundaries of creation and plagiarism.  I sometimes use lines of other poetics, usually pointing them  in cursive.. and i am especially glad if my reader "recognise" which poet i reciting...

here is good article: http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEMQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.452f.com%2Fpdf%2Fnumero05%2Fperromat%2F05_452f_perromat_trad_en.pdf&ei=FQ7BVLP7HoXBOcL_gOgG&usg=AFQjCNEaJrYb5Tm1dXtcb6FpCOva02R0OA&bvm=bv.83829542,d.ZWU

but if this poet ,you talk about, denies that she ever used "your lines", exactly then it is  quite shity..

Use of someone else's lines/words in another person's writing is fine as long as the person using them, gives credit to the source;  It's no different than writing a report for school, or even a procedure for a workplace, and having to use other sources other than yourself, to get your point across--you still must state where your information came from in footnote or bibliography/reference format.  Not doing this is nothing more than a form of theft.

As far as "victims" vs. "flattery", I'll explain it like this:  A victim is someone who is the target or on the receiving end of some injustice, in this case, being the crime of theft, because the works in question were not referenced in any way, to the people who actually wrote them.   If the works had included a source citation, then yes, our members here would not be "victims" and could then feel "flattered" that someone chose to give a nod to them.

But when you take something that someone else created, and pass it off as your own creation, then yeah--there's cause for concern and a right to call oneself a victim.

Think of it this way with an analogy:  you create a piece of writing; it comes from inside of you, you birth it and bring it into this world.  It's your "baby" and someone takes it and says "It's mine."

Now--you create a real live human baby inside you, birth it, bring it into this world, and someone kidnaps it and passes it off as their own child.  You'd be pretty pissed about that, feel victimized and want that child back, wouldn't you?  If you, yourself, gave that child to someone else to adopt and have as theirs or gave the child to them to babysit it for a while, that's a bit different--permission was granted in both cases by the child's owner, the parent.

So now if someone uses your words, and cites you as their source, that's analogous to you having given the ok or permission for them to take your words and incorporate them into their own writing/creation.  But if you aren't cited as the source and the writer just says your words are theirs, then that's no different than your flesh and blood, baby being kidnapped and passed off as the kidnapper's child.

Although stealing a baby and stealing words are on two entirely different scales as far as severity, both are still theft in it's basic definition:  the taking of something that doesn't belong to you, without permission.[/quote]^ that is a beautiful way to convey a point, Madame Lavender! Nicely done. :)[/quote]

well, i am sorry but  your arguments remain being  outside of contemporary discourse of "Plagiarism". after your definition, I am a plagiarist. but then either for example Josef Brodskij, who received Noble price for poetry is plagiarist, and many more.

poem isn't an scientific work to use 'source citation'...if you for example say in your poem: 'what's not kill you, make you stronger'  you dont need bring a source: Friedrich Nietzsche. this is so called "flying phrase" which now most of reader know.. and poets are re-inventors of language, they could take the line of somebody else and make of it a "flying expression".. for example when i use expressions of Alina Vitukhnovskaya like "niggers of necrorealism" or " marauderness of sin" that is ok. I dont have put * and write bellow "borrowed by A.V.".. she enrich language with these sayings and everybody can use it.

please understand i dont defend somebody who stole the whole poem of some known or unknown author and presented it as his own. i just tried  to steer dup-poets attention on  the ambivalence of Plagiarism in literary discourse.

here for example what did say on Plagiarism socalled "grandfather of surrealism" Comte de Lautréamont (Isidore Lucien Ducasse):
http://harpers.org/blog/2007/06/lautreamont-on-plagiarism/

blue_angel
Fire of Insight
United States 10awards
Joined 15th Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 173

utenaka. I've read plenty of your works, and every time you ever quoted a poet, word for word, you gave that poet credit. So, I'm not sure where you are going with this. These poets on here are not famous, or dead poets being quoted. See page 8 of this thread. Samantha took their entire poems, or large chunks, and retitled them and is taking credit for writing it herself. Then when she is called out about it- she claims the original author as being the thief.

I do hope that the folks jumping on to this thread inform them selves with the entire content from start to finish. That way they can gain knowledge of what the discussion is implying in order to make informative comments, or badass poetry, which ever comes first.

Respectfully - blue angel

blue_angel
Fire of Insight
United States 10awards
Joined 15th Oct 2013

crimsin said:Pissed The Fuck Off

Get your own ideas

From the trees of inspiration

The poems that are written

Come from the soul they don't need

Your rewrite or revision

No one needs a clone or a copy

A mere shadow

Mocking in tone

Fuck that shit

If you have nothing original to say

Why not quit?  
^that's my girl!!:)I so love your rawness!

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

If it is okay to plagiarise, then there wouldn't be law's in place to say otherwise.  If it is intentionally done then it is bang out of order.

I have used music with my poetry and pictures.  I have sought permission where I can, credited the artist or source otherwise and if they are an "unknown"  I have not claimed ownership.

Myself and Shadoe had whole poems taken by her and were then accused of steeling them from her and I believe Hades did also.  She needs to just fuck off away from me.

HadesRising
Tyrant of Words
United States 34awards
Joined 8th June 2013
Forum Posts: 1616

Not only did she steal my poem but then she tried to hide it by changing the title and reformatting it, thereby ruining the entire rhythm of it. It's a damn shame that someone can't have enough imagination of their own that they must steal others, sad really.

But I DO NOT have any problem with the site or the innocent and original members there. All I ask is that she is removed along with Wicked Desires and any of my work that she has deemed to "borrow".

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

The bottom line is that we have copyright laws throughout the world for a reason, we own what we create. I have the legal right to tell you not to use my poetry for any reason, even if you give me credit as the writer. There are some exceptions for using excerpts without permission, but you still need to give credit to the creator of the words. This is a very simple concept. Write you own dam poetry! I can't just take you car every time I need a ride because it is your property. People don't seem to understand the value of creation. They think that because you didn't pay cash to the poetry gods to write the words they can't possibly belong to you. But we do own them when we think of creative ways to combine words. Flattery would be when someone uses my words and praises me for how well I did it.
When someone sings  song by another songwriter, they pay royalties for that. Just because you don't see the singer hand the cash to the writer is no reason to assume it didn't happen. Have you ever been to a concert where someone performs a song and says, "here's a song by one of my favorite artists"? They tell you who did it, parse them and pay them. Why is this so hard to understand? If you want to repost my poems, praise me and pay me. I put my poems in books for sale. I post them for free as a courtesy to other poets to read because I like the idea of inspiring other poets to create their own artistic variations of verse, not so they can just copy and paste them under their own name.

If I steal the food from you kitchen when you are hungry, you won't be flattered when I tell you it is ok because I really appreciate your taste in food. You own that food and I don't have the right to eat it just because I also like to eat. If it is mine, and my poetry is mine, you don't have the legal right to steal it. Normally you have to pay to consume it as reading material, but I have chosen to present it here for free, just as everyone on this site or any other poetry site does. Create your own combination of words.
JJ

Kou_Indigo
Karam L. Parveen-Ashton
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2794

I could not agree more that this is a horrible, despicable thing, people stealing other peoples' work and claiming it as their own! That is thievery plain and simple. That is why I am very cautious what is done with my work… for instance I do not mind people keeping copies of my poetry to read, since that is like being published in a way. Not too long ago, a friend of my mine on here, Panos (AlienScum) asked me for my permission to make some copies of my written works to keep on his hard drive and read and study (especially my more spiritual and religious works) at his leisure, and I naturally gave him my permission to do that since that is often what fans and friends will do, just as on DeviantArt people download copies of my paintings, drawings, and photos which they enjoy. That’s all very normal in the life and career of an artist to have fans compliment you in such ways. But, I think, I speak of every poet and poetess on here when I say that I would never give someone permission to claim anything of mine as their own, and I would be furious if someone tried to do so! As would we all, methinks. In fact, I oft take great pains to make certain people know a work is mine just to make sure no one is pulling a deal on me… for example, one day I noticed a color drawing I did of the Sumerian goddess Ereshkigal was being used on a Wicca site detailing various gods and goddesses, but I saw nothing on there in terms of author or artist credit. However, I noticed they were not in any way, shape, or form claiming the work as their own. Rather, it seemed they merely took various famous images of gods and goddesses and decided to use them to illustrate their treatises on those deities. Even so, I wanted to drive the point home that this was my work, so I wrote a paragraph about it on my drawing’s DeviantArt page and in that paragraph I posted the link to the Wicca site and made the rather humorous (but true) statement: “Who knew my art was so famous and beloved?” and I mentioned that I was rather flattered that apparently some Wiccans thought so highly of my work as to display it with other quality pieces of art on their site. That way, anyone stopping by my drawing’s page on DeviantArt will be immediately aware that that is my drawing on that site, and people from that site can likewise look it up in any search engine and learn more about the drawing and the artist who made it (yours truly). I think the reason I was especially cautious with that drawing is because it was a self-portrait (I portrayed myself in it as Ereshkigal) so I just wanted people to bear that in mind. Here is the link to my DeviantArt page where that drawing is so you can see also the paragraph there and the link to that Wiccan site too. Fans and friends here will likely find it interesting to check all that out.
http://tladyjessica.deviantart.com/art/Ereshkigal-365532957
And for those just plain curious to see that Wiccan site, here is a link to that too:
http://www.legionofpagans.com/gods--goddesses-witches--wizards/5670/ereshkigal-goddess-of-death
But I am indeed flattered they used my art in the way they did, since it was done in a way that was clearly at least not plagiarism but rather complimentary. Now, had they said the work was theirs I’d not have reacted so understandingly and enlightened, but such was quite the opposite case. Now, a huge difference was when my former friend Laurie started posting “her” poetry on here back in the day and she basically ripped off my whole poetic style and even the themes of my poems to use for her own purposes and when I called her on it she swore her poems were just “homage” poems, but I could tell she was ripping me off and I called her on it and we had our big, nearly public falling out on here over that, after which I contacted the Web Mistress and asked for Laurie to be banned or dealt with in some manner befitting an obvious poetry thief. From what I heard from her before I stopped bothering with her for good, Laurie was quitting the site anyway around that time to avoid a scandal and I was happy once she was gone since I could get back to writing my works without fear of her loony attempts to appropriate them, or any portions, aspects, or themes from them (all without my permission) either. She was ripping me off so entirely, a couple people starting assuming she was me or that I was her, when she was just some crazy teenage girl who clearly lacked enough of her own talent that she thought she had to resort to commandeering from those more gifted than her. That was one of the things I told Lilly (Nightcore14) when she and I started getting close, is that I was happy that she wasn’t like Laurie, that her poems and style, even when inspired by my works, are still her own in terms of theme, content, and uniqueness of style and that is how it should be with artists who are inspired by other artists. Which is also why I am so fond of Lilly’s poetry, because it is unique and quite beautiful too! So yeah… those are my thoughts on these matters. I am all for inspiration and homage and all that, but anyone who resorts to thievery or plagiarism aught to be hung by the toes and left for the crows! *Giggle*

blue_angel
Fire of Insight
United States 10awards
Joined 15th Oct 2013

Kou_Indigo said:I could not agree more that this is a horrible, despicable thing, people stealing other peoples' work and claiming it as their own! That is thievery plain and simple. That is why I am very cautious what is done with my work… for instance I do not mind people keeping copies of my poetry to read, since that is like being published in a way. Not too long ago, a friend of my mine on here, Panos (AlienScum) asked me for my permission to make some copies of my written works to keep on his hard drive and read and study (especially my more spiritual and religious works) at his leisure, and I naturally gave him my permission to do that since that is often what fans and friends will do, just as on DeviantArt people download copies of my paintings, drawings, and photos which they enjoy. That’s all very normal in the life and career of an artist to have fans compliment you in such ways. But, I think, I speak of every poet and poetess on here when I say that I would never give someone permission to claim anything of mine as their own, and I would be furious if someone tried to do so! As would we all, methinks. In fact, I oft take great pains to make certain people know a work is mine just to make sure no one is pulling a deal on me… for example, one day I noticed a color drawing I did of the Sumerian goddess Ereshkigal was being used on a Wicca site detailing various gods and goddesses, but I saw nothing on there in terms of author or artist credit. However, I noticed they were not in any way, shape, or form claiming the work as their own. Rather, it seemed they merely took various famous images of gods and goddesses and decided to use them to illustrate their treatises on those deities. Even so, I wanted to drive the point home that this was my work, so I wrote a paragraph about it on my drawing’s DeviantArt page and in that paragraph I posted the link to the Wicca site and made the rather humorous (but true) statement: “Who knew my art was so famous and beloved?” and I mentioned that I was rather flattered that apparently some Wiccans thought so highly of my work as to display it with other quality pieces of art on their site. That way, anyone stopping by my drawing’s page on DeviantArt will be immediately aware that that is my drawing on that site, and people from that site can likewise look it up in any search engine and learn more about the drawing and the artist who made it (yours truly). I think the reason I was especially cautious with that drawing is because it was a self-portrait (I portrayed myself in it as Ereshkigal) so I just wanted people to bear that in mind. Here is the link to my DeviantArt page where that drawing is so you can see also the paragraph there and the link to that Wiccan site too. Fans and friends here will likely find it interesting to check all that out.
http://tladyjessica.deviantart.com/art/Ereshkigal-365532957
And for those just plain curious to see that Wiccan site, here is a link to that too:
http://www.legionofpagans.com/gods--goddesses-witches--wizards/5670/ereshkigal-goddess-of-death
But I am indeed flattered they used my art in the way they did, since it was done in a way that was clearly at least not plagiarism but rather complimentary. Now, had they said the work was theirs I’d not have reacted so understandingly and enlightened, but such was quite the opposite case. Now, a huge difference was when my former friend Laurie started posting “her” poetry on here back in the day and she basically ripped off my whole poetic style and even the themes of my poems to use for her own purposes and when I called her on it she swore her poems were just “homage” poems, but I could tell she was ripping me off and I called her on it and we had our big, nearly public falling out on here over that, after which I contacted the Web Mistress and asked for Laurie to be banned or dealt with in some manner befitting an obvious poetry thief. From what I heard from her before I stopped bothering with her for good, Laurie was quitting the site anyway around that time to avoid a scandal and I was happy once she was gone since I could get back to writing my works without fear of her loony attempts to appropriate them, or any portions, aspects, or themes from them (all without my permission) either. She was ripping me off so entirely, a couple people starting assuming she was me or that I was her, when she was just some crazy teenage girl who clearly lacked enough of her own talent that she thought she had to resort to commandeering from those more gifted than her. That was one of the things I told Lilly (Nightcore14) when she and I started getting close, is that I was happy that she wasn’t like Laurie, that her poems and style, even when inspired by my works, are still her own in terms of theme, content, and uniqueness of style and that is how it should be with artists who are inspired by other artists. Which is also why I am so fond of Lilly’s poetry, because it is unique and quite beautiful too! So yeah… those are my thoughts on these matters. I am all for inspiration and homage and all that, but anyone who resorts to thievery or plagiarism aught to be hung by the toes and left for the crows! *Giggle*
I so love that last line! You make excellent points. I deal with art as well, and am also on deviantArt (traditional artist). I'll check out your stuff. I specialize in Ekphrasis. I'm constantly finding art on the web that I want to write poetry for. There are rare times that I can't find the source (artist) and if I do use them to display at my poetry group (poetry lovers) I never claim them as mine. When I do have the artist info. I add that and the link to the original art post. I like asking first, but there are times I can't contact the artist, so I just link where it came from. All for the sole purpose of giving my utter respect and appreciation of the work along with promoting it. I wrote a poem for the pic I'm using now for my profile pic. Thanks so much for commenting here. You can see that it's been since Halloween that I've been there. I need to check in and update!

http://kendrug.deviantart.com/

blue_angel
Fire of Insight
United States 10awards
Joined 15th Oct 2013

Another poem found <shakes head>

- Enough

written by Tommie Lynn. http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems-by/tommielynn/

I'm blocked from the poem at Samantha's page

Google leads the lines back to Tommie.

utenaka
cyanide kid102
Thought Provoker
Germany
Joined 9th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3

gosh, i read this poem "enough" and her ending of tommy lynn poem. this virginpoet is rarely ugly spirit. to spam your mind with her business should be under your dignity, Magdalena, blue angel and others.. i could assume she use your words to make good poetry but this is swinish bullshit.  just leave her alone. find better topic for discussion.

blue_angel
Fire of Insight
United States 10awards
Joined 15th Oct 2013

utenaka said:
gosh, i read this poem "enough" and her ending of tommy lynn poem. this virginpoet is rarely ugly spirit. to spam your mind with her business should be under your dignity, Magdalena, blue angel and others.. i could assume she use your words to make good poetry but this is swinish bullshit.  just leave her alone. find better topic for discussion.
Thank you, Utenaka. That is very true the virginpoet's work is swinish bullshit.

blue_angel
Fire of Insight
United States 10awards
Joined 15th Oct 2013

case28 said:I haven't been so fortunate
nobody's thought my poetry worth stealing
but in the past I have
spent sleepless nights
hunting down
worthless motherfucking plagiarists like Samantha

and I've come to the conclusion
that these worthless motherfuckers
are talentless
slaves to social media
with no appreciation for words
art and creativity
they just thieve poetry
to feed their piss-ant egos
and pretend
that they're somebody
when the truth is staring right back at them
in the words they've never lived

they'll never understand
what living is
and what life takes to be a poet

I'm sorry ladies to read your poetry has been stolen, perhaps a reading from Bukowski will make you smile.

[Our friend Missy shared this poem with me after the last hunt]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38WpfL6G8z8

Miki, thanks for the sound advice... ML, give em hell!
lmao .. luv the vid!

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

case28 said:

[Our friend Missy shared this poem with me after the last hunt]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38WpfL6G8z8

Adult warning before you go to the link with your 14 year old son sat next to you.  I will try again when he is in school haha.  :P

Go to page:
Go to: