Go to page:

Need advice- Writing a Poem for a Man

valsatiger
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 8th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 8

I am writing a poem to a special man. I am unsure of how to go about this and where to start. Any advice to offer? Perhaps you could tell me what really dives deep into a guy's heart/ what men remember? What things truly stand out that guys appreciate?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

find a man that makes your head explode with words, then write them down.  I’m sorry, Miss but if you have to seek advice on writing for him he is just not the one for you  ...you could do so much better, or maybe you are a lesbo and you just don’t know it yet. either way, your relationship is doomed cos there are no words...

anyhow, some advice:

men remember everything

try to speak (type) straight talk:

don’t say no when you mean yes, or yes when you mean no, don’t say you’re fine when you are angry as hell, don’t say you are ok when you are dying inside. ..stuff like that helps

hey, jot down everything you like and dislike about him and word it like you are talking to your best friend, then go edit it.  just be honest, he will appreciate that

bloodyannabel
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 31st Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 14

I find it quite difficult to write beautiful or love poetry to as much as I wish I could.
And, honestly craicdealer, sometimes you just can't explain love with any amount of words. To me, that is a true overwhelming love.
But if he loves you back, then your memories and fantasies alone are amazing for him to read. Go on about his personalities and his characteristics. Go on about how much he means to you.
A man appreciates anything from his woman.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

perhaps, but it must be a lot easier to explain the whys with words rather than the feelings, even at that if you’re writing for one person in particular there’s no need for fancy words and phrases

" I want to be as close to you as skin on the bones of a starving Ethiopian child "   ....stuff like that

Waterviolet
Fire of Insight
Canada 4awards
Joined 14th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 628

Rite the poem in and around your belly button area it dosent matter what it says he will love it

EM20XX
Just a Puppet
Thought Provoker
United States 5awards
Joined 22nd Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 88

One word poem “boobs”. Works for me I guess :-/

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

valsatiger, if your man is really special to you then I think there's a simple way to combine all the ideas that our DU alpha males have shared with you. The crux of the matter these days is poetry is perceived to be lame by everyone in the world except poets. Love poems in particular make most people cringe, especially if the shit rhymes. I think if poets want to convince their lovers, friends and the world that poetry can be really cool, we need to think of new ways to deliver our words.

There's a sexy song by Olivia Newton John called "physical", which has the great line "let me hear your body talk." I suggest you let your man hear your body talk thru your poetry. Why not write the words, "I want to feel your skin against me", written across your abdomen? And "the gentle touch of your hands" written down your thighs and "your lips pressed hard against me" along the cusp of your breast, and maybe you could squeeze in a game of tic toe across your heart [let him win].

Just to prove Craic's curiosities wrong that you're not a closet lesbian, I suggest getting your lady friend to help you write the poetry around your body [you may need to film this as video evidence]. Then when you're ready to swoon your man with your body poetry, give him a slow strip tease [men love it], revealing your poetry line by line. This will be a great way to make sure your man doesn't fuck up your sex life by ignoring foreplay later in the relationship and it's good to find out early on if he can read and follow instructions.

EM20XX
Just a Puppet
Thought Provoker
United States 5awards
Joined 22nd Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 88

I think what you should take away from this post is that only you could really write a true loving poem. Only you know this man. Every man has similarities but it’s all about his likes and loves in life. Not to mention what topics you want to write about and how far you want to take it.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

Short version: words have wonder but a body is beautiful. Whatever path you choose it needs some combination of words and body movement; simply words on paper in this day and age and for a man is not quite fulfilling.

Guys like plain-speak: not simple and stupid but true and heartfelt. I am guessing that you and this guy are not together yet so this is a way to win him?

It would help us and help you to know about this mystery man: what can you say about him and by that token what makes him special to you.

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

"The crux of the matter these days is poetry is perceived to be lame by everyone in the world except poets."

-word case......

valsatiger
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 8th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 8

If you read my letter I wrote(It is in with my poems), you will learn a lot about him. There is so much more, but if you have nay further questions after you read the letter, I will answer them:)

poet Anonymous

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

Having read the aforementioned letter, (so thats your game: just view hunting for poems!), I have a few remarks to make. First, is it not a love poem or letter, rather than simply non-fiction? Believe me DU needs all the help it can get in raising the amount of love poetry.
Secondly, as you speak a fair bit about Utopia and how you prefer him, why not end with (but before the 'I love you') with something like 'I don't want Utopia: I want you' something like that.

This belongs here rather than on your poem so as not to blight it with my words, plus it moves the talk away from how poetry is lame and dead and yadda yadda yadda. (If poets wanted to be popular or were popular they would be gossip magazines instead of the sometimes acquired-taste hobby magazines. Like a cafe off the beaten track: not quite popular but a damn good find.)

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16221

It would be nice to say "thank you" to those giving comments though. Wouldnt it, Valsatiger.
In my opinion writing to a man is from within oneself not from the thoughts of others.

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014
Forum Posts: 2079

Guys and gals....I really enjoyed reading your comments to valsatiger...take a bow... :-)

Go to page:
Go to: