Go to page:

opinion on rock/post-hardcore music and suicide

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014
Forum Posts: 2079

i'd dare say it doesn't make you suicidal but if you have underlying mental health issues that are not being addressed and dealt with, then, long term, constant exposure to such music MAY contribute to you feeling suicidal...it really depends on the 'makeup' of the person concerned....

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16191

No I don't think hardcore music makes you suicidal. There maybe a rush to voice out opinions and rant but not kill oneself. I would think repetitive soft piped music would make one think of suicide just to get away from it. Its a matter of being in a certain mood though, I believe.
Just sharing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6onr2PHfQc

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

everybody is always blaming external stimuli for the way that they feel....

take some responsibility and own your own hell.

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

People have been blaming rock for suicides and all manner of crime since rock was invented. Hey forget that plenty of people killed themselves before here was rock, before there was blues, before there was jazz, before there was classical, before there were cavemen banging rocks together. Suicide is an internal issue hat those who can't understand its cause, or refuse to, are constantly in search of some external trigger. Mental health problems are inside the brain, last time I checked, my brain is in my head along with every thought that ever made me want to kill myself, and not one rock song I ever listened to had anything to do with my wanting to die.

If you play my life backwards you will see that the cause of my depression was my own inability to deal with life. That is 100% mental!

JJ

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

johnrot said:everybody is always blaming external stimuli for the way that they feel....

This ^

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6693

johnrot said:everybody is always blaming external stimuli for the way that they feel....

Yes, well we're not all world-making Gods.
(Not you really but more the general DU zeitgeist of 'change the world'. Not everyone can, some of us are weak and alone.)

Tacete
who-isthe-silence
Twisted Dreamer
Australia 1awards
Joined 24th Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 205

In the grand scheme of all that our decisions, aspirations and actions holds absolutely no consequence, you are a figment of matter in a vast, multi-dimensional existence that holds absolute and utter indifference to everything you hold dear.

But once you are returned to the ocean of stars, you will feel home again.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

Ommmm!!! [whilst foot fucking a blue sponge to the beat of The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel]

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

I clicked on it to see where I could get me one, saw J Rot with a red gimp mask on and got the fuck outta there real quick

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

LMAO I didn't realise it was JR, I just saw the gimp massaging a power bacon deodorant stick onto his nipples.

Fallen_Angel_194
Angel.
Thought Provoker
United States 5awards
Joined 24th May 2014
Forum Posts: 318

I don't Think That Rock Music Makes Certain People Suicidal,
I Believe It Actually Helps, Some Of The Songs Help.
Beartooth Is an amazing Band That Has Helped Me Through Alot.
So No, I don't Think Rock Music Makes People Suicidal

EM20XX
Just a Puppet
Thought Provoker
United States 5awards
Joined 22nd Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 88

I think rock music does the exact opposite for me. It makes me feel alive. It’s all about the person not the music. Some people live with a darker hell than others and we should not judge those that cant take the hell.

KittyFromHell
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 31st May 2013
Forum Posts: 654

I present the words of Marilyn Manson:

"You have to take responsibility, you reap what you sow, and you have to clean up after yourself. I’m sick of people always trying to blame movies, bands, songs, or talk shows, for whatever, teen suicides, drug overdoses, everything else. If someone’s stupid enough to kill themselves over a song, then that’s exactly what they deserve. They weren’t contributing anything to society. It’s one less f—ing idiot in the world. There’s too many people, if more people killed themselves over music, it wouldn’t disappoint me, it would disappoint me in that it’s said that people are that stupid."

Go to page:
Go to: