Go to page:

Stolen Poetry Alert

barbieclone
Strange Creature
Joined 7th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 1

Hi

I know I'm new here but this is the quickest way to alert you all after having found a couple of poems from this site that are being posted by someone else and claiming them as his own.
I have been tracking this guy through stolen poetry from another poetry site that I have been a long time member of after he stole dozens of our communities work and re posted as his own. I have found 2 poems from here that he has stolen.

http://www.experienceproject.com/about/marklovescoffe

He posts his 'poems' under Stories (on the LHS menu, you may need to register for free)you have to go through them very carefully because he changes the titles sometimes.

eg:

http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Post-This-For-Badgirlbee/4729843 written here by tornado

http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/D-Love-To-Dominate-You/4668388 written here by Ryan Revis

I very much hope he hasn't done as much damage to your community as he has done to ours.

Cheers :)

forever_young
Thought Provoker
Canada
Joined 5th Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 16

When I first joined underground I submitted a poem under a different user name. My user name and it doesn't seem to exist anymore. But I am 99% sure my poem is being published under another du member's name. Can't seem to find my draft in my files; but when I do!!!!!

poet Anonymous

Cheers for coming by with the heads up. It happens everywhere, and here before on many occasions. Anything put online is up for theft, the person who proves first publishing (even on a site like this one), has legal ownership of the material if it is ever challenged. It sucks that people sink so low as to plagarize, but it is the way of things and it is a waste of energy to track all of them down and try to keep tabs

Kind of you to be concerned and take the time

poet Anonymous

:0 shocking?  Why will someone stole snuomes poetry?  Whats the benefit?  
Can't block that user if he/she is here?  
And changing title will not help cause the content will be same anyone so the real owner of the poem will recognize his /her work .

poet Anonymous

Wow! I wrote something worth stealing??? LOL!!! This person must be desperate! I will go see if I can cheer him up : )
Thank you for the heads up!

tornado

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16189

Pamelajohn said::0 shocking?  Why will someone stole snuomes poetry?  Whats the benefit?  
Can't block that user if he/she is here?  
And changing title will not help cause the content will be same anyone so the real owner of the poem will recognize his /her work .

If he/she is in DU...block him/her and if possible let the Mods know.

poet Anonymous

Sum peeple steel poeitree.  Sum peeple steel peeple's peace uv mind.  Dem peeple r assholes.  Ain't much moor tew say.

clewluss
SMOOKY
Thought Provoker
Joined 22nd Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 281

There is a land where it is not practical to attach the ownership of a name to a poem, partly for the protection of the poet herself, as well as the means of transmission, which is by mouth.  It is in an oppressed land where somebody fervently pulls you into a corner, and whispers in your face his poem, and you commit it to memory and of course it becomes YOU, the poem enters YOUR mind, YOUR neurons are firing to keep it alive. And so it evolves, entering and then leaving for you to tell another.  

The ability for one author to reach thousands of readers directly, has been made possible by mass production of books, and the internet.  With this new method, it is now possible to profit from the telling of your tale, and so it lends itself to ownership.

But ownership is just a social behavior.  An interesting change in social behavior resulting from publishing the first dictionary, was that the authors had to choose one way to spell a word, so it could be 'looked up'.
President Washington preferred to spell europe, urop, and I think he had a good choice. The attitude towards spelling, just a few short centuries past, was more like the creative cook in the kitchen - a dash of this, a scoop of that.
Unfortuneatly, things have gotten a bit formal, with almost everyone making sure their words, and the words of others are spelled 'correctly'  If somebodies work does not follow 'proper' spelling, it usually is criticized harshly.

The ownership of land, once was seen by the American Indian, as as ridiculous as owning the sun and the sky, laughingly signed an X on a piece of paper, selling the lands of New York to the white men.  The White men, had an entirely different culture, which required ownership, before they could proceed in wiping out mother nature.

Who knows, in a few more centuries, some cultural way may be found to own the air we breath, and the owner can dole out air to others for a fee.

The ancient writings dug up in Greece, had no copywrite.  The Book of Mormon, however, born in more modern times, is in fact copywrite protected.

We might weigh in on which method is more satisfying:

to see that a hundred people read your poem, and you got 3 likes, but you really dont know who read your poem, as opposed to telling  to one person, or to a group, and seeing them in person, and then, some time later, another person may come grab you, stare you in the eyes, and repeat a verse that you originated, having your heart warmed to hear it afresh, and alive.

Atakti
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 1st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 3273

Interesting perspective, Curtis. It sounds intriguing, and if anyone ever quoted my work to me verbally, I'd probably be in shock that anyone memorised my work...

Now for the boring mod bit: plagiarism is not tolerated on DU. Anyone posting work that is not their own will be banned. If it is only one incident, depending on circumstances, they may get a warning to allow for misunderstanding of how things work around here, but otherwise, it is bye bye forever.

As for people coming from outside the site to take work — it happens, and it's frustrating. Sometimes the admin of outside sites cooperate and remove the offending posts and sometimes they do not. Serious writers will eventually avoid those sites. Checking to see who stole your work will probably aggravate you, so I do not reccommend it. For those who want to document their creations, email a copy of it to yourself to get the date stamp. If you think you may want to publish your work in a book, perhaps consider not posting it at all, and get your feedback through private messaging.

Just write, and enjoy the process of creation. That is the most important part of it, really.

angeleyes322
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 13th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 5

I'm impressed by your attitude of such behavior. Yes, your poetry is worth stealing lol. Great work and great personality tornado!!

anthonyeastman
Damon Orion
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 13th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 12

Having my earlier work stolen before I know it sux but then again I feel impressed that they liked it so much that they wanted it for their own.
If you post a poem, prose, story or other work then you should expect to face this kind of theft, the theft of thoughts. So pHuck whoever it is cause this website and it's readers knows who wrote it first.

Still appreciate the heads up tho.

Comrade
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 3rd June 2014
Forum Posts: 16

Try using the 'advanced search' area and type in an exact phrase from your poem.

kriticool
Fire of Insight
32awards
Joined 1st Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 596

@Curtis.. really appreciate that "ah~so" moment.. agreed, that oral tradition is and has been STRONG on alotta "sets"    i'd put forward keepin it alive is even of more value and importance than retaining the superficiality of "hope"

anyway, i think it was flava flav or chuck who said, "can't copywrite NO beats"

smh

HadesRising
Tyrant of Words
United States 34awards
Joined 8th June 2013
Forum Posts: 1616

This again. Makes you wonder why someone would bother stealing poems. Does someone suck so bad they have to steal another's? Is this to try to show that you write? Well, sorry if this offends, all it does is prove yourself that you suck. Being a good Poet is like being a good musician. You have to practice as often as you can until you get. Unless you just want to be lazy and rip someone off

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

Has anybody seen my socks?

Go to page:
Go to: