Go to page:

I propose an unbiased competition

Austin_Rura
Austin Rura
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 6th Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 327

Great idea for a comp!.. however i would suggest writers publish there works before inboxing it to someone.

and Waterviolet ... whats the point of competition or poetry for that matter? if we all resort to personal popularity we may as well drop our quills and pick up bats and start swinging at each other right now as primitives. food for thought.

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

you don't have to be a good person to be a good poet.

quit worryin about everybody lookin at you.

just do it and see what happens

and i see newcomers and people who never participate in forums gettin trophies all the time so all you nahhhhsayers and negative fucks sound like sore ass bitches.

people who got the real crazy trophies around here wrote and entered in thousands and thousands of comps....

are you suppost to not like a certain style that someone is doin
jus because they were the only person doin it last month and still are?

eat a dick if you ain't catch on and see it.....

there is tons of good stuff here trophied, newcomer whateva............

enter comps....
they are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

competition breeds innovation.......

poet Anonymous

WOW!!
Sounds like some over valuing of "ones" own talent mixed with some serious paranoia!
This comp style has been done many times, but to suggest that it is all just a popularity contest and that those winning comps are not doing so based on talent or merit but on being liked, is simply absurd!

Spend more time writing and less time caring who likes it  

Why do the people with the most talent always criticize themselves and those with none always act so overlooked and self righteous?

There have been a few comps that are suspect over the years, but overall I is fair. AND newbies who nobody knows do win often! You may some of us have good rapport with one another but some of us have been here for years and have entered thousands of comps ..so don't act like friendly hellos are disguised favoritism

Pedantic

Waterviolet
Fire of Insight
Canada 4awards
Joined 14th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 628

Oh well there we have it the queen has spoken thanks
For your few pennys

poet Anonymous

The queen? Interesting.

Angel_Of_Darkness
Rune L
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 22nd Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 608

Think of green day.  Do you know your enemy? Your "enemy" is the host of the competition.  That's where the bias is. An art critic simply won't be impressed with a Nobel Peace prize, and  an activist will not be impressed by a forged Picasso. Unfortunately,  this means that nobody is in the wrong,  and therefore no involved party can fix the problem. Because the real problem, is that we don't have enough people hosting competitions. The more hosts we have, the better chance that the bias turns in the favor of the people who don't get nominated for winning as often,  because there has to be someone out there who is inspired by each individual's work, they simply aren't hosting the competition. There is your problem.

Krosgood
Violence
Thought Provoker
United States 12awards
Joined 21st Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 163

johnrot said:if you do something great it'll get noticed....

fuck the trinkets..........

Perfectly put!
What I want to achieve here is to have everything submitted being read.    

Krosgood
Violence
Thought Provoker
United States 12awards
Joined 21st Mar 2014

Austin_Rura said:Great idea for a comp!.. however i would suggest writers publish there works before inboxing it to someone.

That would defeat the purpose. It would be seen by the followers of that poet as it is published therefore alerting a vote. I have no respect for a plagiarist and would NEVER attempt to do so.  

Krosgood
Violence
Thought Provoker
United States 12awards
Joined 21st Mar 2014

I didn't mean to get the crowd all worked up. I wasn't trying to say that it happens a lot or often I just wanted some feedback on the idea. It seems that this has been done numerous times in the past so the idea sounds like a good one. My only problem now is which topic will draw in more writers. Any suggestions on a good general topic? Something we all have in common and something we could all relate to without being too bland.

souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 28th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 5085

Krosgood said:I didn't mean to get the crowd all worked up. I wasn't trying to say that it happens a lot or often I just wanted some feedback on the idea. It seems that this has been done numerous times in the past so the idea sounds like a good one. My only problem now is which topic will draw in more writers. Any suggestions on a good general topic? Something we all have in common and something we could all relate to without being too bland.

Hearts there Kros.!!!
its good to question isn't it?
looks to me like many styles of judging are given to you for digestion...jus angles from the Masses and Asses

Any suggestions on a good general topic?

That question is a constant Always

Krosgood
Violence
Thought Provoker
United States 12awards
Joined 21st Mar 2014

I totally understand that the competition win goes to whatever the host likes best. I want a crowd vote on this one. I want a majority rule based on poem alone. And FYI to anyone thinking I am complaining that I feel that I have deserved a win over another person. You're wrong. I'm just here to be read and any wins I have are because a competition has caught my attention and I enjoy the challenge. I have submitted two competitions and the only reason I have is ONE: to test the hosting water and 2: to challenge people to come out of their personal comfort zones and try something new. So, any ideas on a topic for my next comp?

Krosgood
Violence
Thought Provoker
United States 12awards
Joined 21st Mar 2014

souladareatease said:[quote-275301-Krosgood]I didn't mean to get the crowd all worked up. I wasn't trying to say that it happens a lot or often I just wanted some feedback on the idea. It seems that this has been done numerous times in the past so the idea sounds like a good one. My only problem now is which topic will draw in more writers. Any suggestions on a good general topic? Something we all have in common and something we could all relate to without being too bland.

Hearts there Kros.!!!
its good to question isn't it?
looks to me like many styles of judging are given to you for digestion...jus angles from the Masses and Asses

Any suggestions on a good general topic?

That question is a constant Always[/quote]

Thanks for understanding

poet Anonymous

Krosgood said:I totally understand that the competition win goes to whatever the host likes best. I want a crowd vote on this one. I want a majority rule based on poem alone. And FYI to anyone thinking I am complaining that I feel that I have deserved a win over another person. You're wrong. I'm just here to be read and any wins I have are because a competition has caught my attention and I enjoy the challenge. I have submitted two competitions and the only reason I have is ONE: to test the hosting water and 2: to challenge people to come out of their personal comfort zones and try something new. So, any ideas on a topic for my next comp?

How about a comp  challgeing authors to write about how he/she thinks the FBI might view their poetry, what you'd have to say to them and why you feel your poetry could change the world (if you feel it could).

Inspired by ALEXANDER CASE'S whisper on "Playground massacre" thread: "[I received an anonymous call from the Ecuadorian embassy in London... apparently ASIS has leaked that the NSA, CIA, FBI and FPI are all gathering intelligence from the DUP.]"

(Well, it's a better idea to write about than "What did you pull out of your ear today?" and get a bunch of bad ear rot (ICKa).

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

I'm an idea guy. I come up with ideas. Here's an idea.

No won gets a trophy because there is no winner.

You compete to challenge yourself. You compete to prove you can get the job done. You compete to exercise your noggin. You compete to exorcise your demons. You compete because it sounds like fun. You compete to outdo your friends. You compete to shut up the troll who volunteers more smack about your poetry than poetry of his own.

I've always hated deadlines, but sometimes a deadline is enough motivation. A locked topic does not accept late entries.

Gg78
Tyrant of Words
United States 26awards
Joined 5th Mar 2011
Forum Posts: 9051

Same story same place. Lol this has been discussed over and over. If you think it's rigged don't enter in, it's that simple!

Go to page:
Go to: