Go to page:

I propose an unbiased competition

poet Anonymous

souladareatease said:Many "old salts" use a point system they fancy (variations differ)

each judge individually critiques x amount of points per poem (entry)
example
Creativity-4
Fluidity-3
X-factor-5

whatever Your criteria terms are ...each judge goes through every entry with their points...sends them to the host and the host gathers the points from all judges (usually 3 or more judges)... voila -tally winner by diverse minds

that's just one example how many are done
in my mind- quite fair considering this is from a few people judging independently.
You guys treat these trophies like fast food lol
seems the ones who have the most trophies tend to enter comps like crazy...some take breaks for a while, so You might just be seeing their names as they make their rounds again.

Engr. V cited a point system a couple months ago on a thread (but I don't remember which-so hit him up too)

Oh...
I play comps...once in a while...I think I have 3 trophies...maybe 4 (that's over the course of a few years)
most of mine are critique

Soul, the suggestion by EngrVV is under this comp thread.
http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/7033/30/

poet Anonymous

I've been hosting comps since December and I started with a very conscious effort in mind to make it as unbias and fair as possible, after witnessing so many botched comps, by trolls, favorites and some clueless hosts who dont know the first thing on how to read properly much else read poetry.

One of the things that I do in my comps is that i look carefully around the Du community for members who are not part of circles or the mainstream and normally i choose 2 'unknowns' and one who is a well known member so that the scale is balanced.
Just recently i used the point system and quite honestly i didn't like it at all, to just base it on numbers solely, misses the soul of the poems submitted.  Leaving me clueless on why a judge gave such high number or low number to a particular poem.

In my opinion, the number system relieves the host of any responsibility, relying solely on the judges discretion that it's being played out fair.  As hosts, we have a responsibility to the members who are taking the time to write in our comps and submitting that at the end we do question and feel comfortable with the outcome, being fully involved in every step.

What i've done in the past and will continue to do so, is to ask my judges for a short critique, what they read, what they grasped, did the poem adhere to the subject and what exactly did they like about the poem.  Poetry is not just about making a statement, it's about grasping our hearts and imagination.
The answers i receive back are not only enlightening but also it tells me of the judge, whether they have the knowledge of what i'm looking for.

Back to op, I think it's a great idea just make sure that they don't post those poems in their profiles before the comp closes (googled search easily tracks the source) but i do have to agree with the warnings given that some of us who have been around a while we do recognize the authors by their style ;)

souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 28th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 5085

[/quote]

Soul, the suggestion by EngrVV is under this comp thread.
http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/7033/30/[/quote]

Good lookin' out Vee

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16209

I have hosted competitions several times here. I have been accused of being biased in my awards. I have always tried to be as unbiased as possible by consulting friends not of DU to read or give me an idea of who should win.
One also have to remember that its the host's prerogative to choose who he/she fit to win.

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

I don't think you can remove the bias no matter what system you use. Each category of points can be manipulated by the judge. I have ten trophies but I have entered many comps I got nothing for. And you get no credit in the trophy count for finishing second or third. I have no idea if anyones bias has helped me win comps or hurt my chances. I just enter them if the comp inspires a poem or if I already have one that fits the bill. Last week I entered one with an old poem that inspired me to add another stanza that improved the ending of the poem a lot. I was just glad for that as I never liked the way the poem came to an abrupt ending.

I often wonder if people pick their friends to win comps, but really, what does it matter? It's not like we are getting paid here and if it brings more attention to my poems to have them read in a comp, that's fine. Sometimes that is how I discover a new poet to follow. If someone enters a comp and I happen to see it, and like it, I go check out their library and add them so I can read more when I have more time.

I think there is always going to be some level of favoritism in comps so I try to never take it personally, otherwise I would never enter a competition. If I did take it personally, my heart would have stopped at least a dozen times when I felt like the poem I entered was the best one and didn't even finish in the top three.

Maybe we should force the comp starters to take lie detector tests after they make their choices for trophies. hahahahahahahaheeee!
jj

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16209

souladareatease said:Many "old salts" use a point system they fancy (variations differ)

each judge individually critiques x amount of points per poem (entry)
example
Creativity-4
Fluidity-3
X-factor-5

whatever Your criteria terms are ...each judge goes through every entry with their points...sends them to the host and the host gathers the points from all judges (usually 3 or more judges)... voila -tally winner by diverse minds

that's just one example how many are done
in my mind- quite fair considering this is from a few people judging independently.
You guys treat these trophies like fast food lol
seems the ones who have the most trophies tend to enter comps like crazy...some take breaks for a while, so You might just be seeing their names as they make their rounds again.

Engr. V cited a point system a couple months ago on a thread (but I don't remember which-so hit him up too)

Oh...
I play comps...once in a while...I think I have 3 trophies...maybe 4 (that's over the course of a few years)
most of mine are critique

As for your remark on those having the most trophies making the rounds...personally I write for a competition because I get inspired by the title. If I win the comp its a bonus. If I don't I got read so a win situation either way. My opinion merely.

souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 28th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 5085

[/quote]

As for your remark on those having the most trophies making the rounds...personally I write for a competition because I get inspired by the title. If I win the comp its a bonus. If I don't I got read so a win situation either way. My opinion merely.[/quote]

Indeed-as mostly that's why any enter a comp.
It wasn't a slight by any means.
Simply saying...effort in =trophies
And far as trophies deemed unworthy by others viewing a Write....that's "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" deal
By the Judge and critiques.

My main point was...those with many trophies have put in their work for it.
comps ran by people who have been here awhile -run good comps.

(I'll quit eating up Your thread Kros.

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

if you do something great it'll get noticed....

fuck the trinkets..........

Waterviolet
Fire of Insight
Canada 4awards
Joined 14th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 628

Who needs a little pic of a trophy what does that proove maybe that u have some friends here is all lol
If u hate someyone here are u going to give them a win ??? Ya fuckin rite
I dont think anywone here is capable of that

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012

are you capable of that mam?

Waterviolet
Fire of Insight
Canada 4awards
Joined 14th Mar 2014

Hell no but atleast i can admit it and i dont go around giving
My friends trophys eather so suck on that chief

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012

i didn't mean any offense mam...

was just curious if you included yourself in that statement......

Waterviolet
Fire of Insight
Canada 4awards
Joined 14th Mar 2014

Sorry i just come off as confrontational
No need to apolagise when u dont mean it

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012

i didn't apologize....

HadesRising
Tyrant of Words
United States 34awards
Joined 8th June 2013
Forum Posts: 1617

Grace said:I have hosted competitions several times here. I have been accused of being biased in my awards. I have always tried to be as unbiased as possible by consulting friends not of DU to read or give me an idea of who should win.
One also have to remember that its the host's prerogative to choose who he/she fit to win.
same here, at times my wife helps me decide. But to be honest, not many new people take part in my comps, but usually the same old hands contribute so it's hard to award trophies without seeming bias

Go to page:
Go to: