Go to page:

I was wondering

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

Just had a quick look at the numbers involved for the different genres. if you click 'poems' at the top of the screen you'll see that erotica is the third most written at just over 18,000.

I think people write erotica for a variety of reasons. I think there has been an us and them mentality prevalent for some time now.

popular. Ideally getting noticed and read a lot on a poetry site would involve quality poetry coupled with giving plenty of thoughtful comments. on some level that is the case.

eg. if you click on latest poems then choose the 'most popular you'll see that there are two or three that dominate it all the time. most notably Rain C and Shadow. neither post on forums or spout right / left wing anti this or that poetry.

It struck me that this site is geared towards or at the very least facilitates or nurtures a need for popularity. take a look at your stats on your profile page and the inclusion of said 'most popular poems' link. I totally accept that not everyone buys into or is bothered too much about being popular. I would say that most poets here (including me) would be happy to have a larger reader base.

in short. for the most part here on DU poetry and popularity doesn't always walk hand in hand. personality has a big influence.

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

If your goal is popularity, as sad as that may be, that is your business and none of mine.

Whatever category butters your popcorn, bring your game.

And I personally write plenty of polemics that criticize people who abuse politics and religion for their own personal gain, if not for their supreme ignorance. If you can't do it without slurs and misinformation aimed at entire groupings of people, then you simply aren't doing it right. Aside from the fact that you are a village idiot.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

So it seems people are first and foremost in Love. And then somewhere Dark. And thirdly rather randy and writing Erotic poems.

The problem with Erotica and the consequent stigma is that Love and Dark can be seen as being personal first and public second, whereas Erotica is almost public first and personal second. Love and Dark can be seen as giving you a view into a person's heart/mind/soul and therefore has value to them, and if you do connect and like it then that is a bonus. Whereas for Erotica it almost tries too hard to connect with you, and for some people that is repulsive and simply boring. It is also that everyone can feel lust (Erotica), yet love and despression/despair (not all Drak poems but a fair few) are not so easy to grasp.

In other words Love and Dark poems fill a hole and give us what we need while Erotica gives us what we want. And whenever we get what we want on top of what we need, there will always be a question of denying our want.

Also, I am in this for the really long run, go ahead and have your prime time and spotlights, I like talking and chatting here so serve me up another glass please.

AscensionES
Aptilneilrionaltion
Dangerous Mind
Australia 9awards
Joined 22nd Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 1797

Lacing your 'erotica' with some god-forsaken subtlety would set you apart from the pack of hollow, empty, simplistic, repetitive churned out factory of the same horrendous shit that festers in that category.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

Atehequa said:Aside from the yearning teenage fantasies  as well as the horn dog scribbling featured in the erotic poetry section, will poems about Gawd, Gawd Jr.,(Jesus)guns,the very much supremely enlightened white race,Muslim bashing and other extremely right wing evangelical material get a poet more recognition here at DUP?

that's a great start. in general and for all its failings this site rewards interesting language.
but you gotta slum it in the forums to get people knowing your name

my mistake- didn't realise your poems were shite

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

Viddax said:In other words Love and Dark poems fill a hole and give us what we need while Erotica gives us what we want. And whenever we get what we want on top of what we need, there will always be a question of denying our want.

On the flip side... Some poets write because they want to be Loved, other just want to be consumed by the Dark... Erotica is all about filling [shallow] holes.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Atehequa said:Aside from the yearning teenage fantasies  as well as the horn dog scribbling featured in the erotic poetry section, will poems about Gawd, Gawd Jr.,(Jesus)guns,the very much supremely enlightened white race,Muslim bashing and other extremely right wing evangelical material get a poet more recognition here at DUP?

Don't write for recognition, write for the love of being creative, write to hone your craft, write because you bleed, write because you have a story to tell, write because it keeps you alive, write about real experiences, write because the shadows keep you awake at night... write about anything you want and if you do it well, people will feel your words and see the world with your eyes.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

lepperochan said:in short. for the most part here on DU poetry and popularity doesn't always walk hand in hand. personality has a big influence.

So what you're saying is popularity and recognition can be two totally different things?

The long version [in other words]... If you bust your ass in DU and read and read every single poet you follow, every poem that pops up in your updates, give your fellow poet a quick pat on the back and then be on your way to reply to the barrage of comments that boomerang back in your updates, congratulations you've graduated to DU popularity.

However, if you are less committed to following the popularity protocol 101 and you avoid the forums, if you lack confidence or experience in your craft, then you won't be popular in DUP. There are some real kick-ass poets in DUP that are lucky to get one or two comments, but if they are genuinely good they eventually get recognition, just not in the vast volume of ass kisses that other hard working popularity fiends get.

[My utmost respect to the DUP popularity machines for all your words of encouragement, without your constant support a lot of DUP poets wouldn't grow.]

Atehequa
Thought Provoker
Joined 10th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 261

Magnetron said:If your goal is popularity, as sad as that may be, that is your business and none of mine.

Aside from the fact that you are a village idiot.

Then perhaps it's better to mind your own business, boy.

I'd rather be the village idiot than in some high school-like clique, Junior.

poet Anonymous

Dear Mr. Case, when I read your post and saw these words:  "...write because you bleed..." I instantly knew why I write.  Thx., Pr

Go to page:
Go to: