Go to page:

A better country

jvp
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st June 2014
Forum Posts: 91

Some say if you want to live in a country that builds things, buy the things your country builds.

But I say if you want to live in a country that builds things, build the things your country needs.

What do you say?  How do we get a better country, what national issues are important to you?

poet Anonymous

I say this country's going to Hell either way, so I'm gonna go build a cabin in the woods, be happy, self sufficient, and wait for the apocalypse.

We might already be in it.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

I think both are needed--you need to support your own economy and buy what you build, but also build what is needed and necessary so that it's quality that you're buying, not quantity.

jvp
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st June 2014

I'm not sure about the collapse scenarios, but, there does seem to be a lot of them.  Between warming, drought, extreme storms, oil shortage, excessive national debt/commitments, there's no shortage of triggers...   I used to be a strong believe in collapse, but it seems the world had enough tough times before, and, collapse does get a little old after time.

A peaceful retreat in the woods sounds wonderful.  Will you be able to make it happen.  I need to live within driving distance of work, seems to rule it out for me...

jvp
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st June 2014

MadameLavender said:I think both are needed--you need to support your own economy and buy what you build, but also build what is needed and necessary so that it's quality that you're buying, not quantity.

OK, seems agreeable.  But, what do you think of national issues?

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

What sort of national issues?  Foreign policy, healthcare, education?  Any specific ones you had in mind, or just in general?

jvp
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st June 2014

ML, any category, something that you believe would lead to a significantly different future.  

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

I believe the answer lies in 'building' things for your country and then 'buying'. So that through your daily work thats is 9 to 5, is 'building' the country while the wages and money you earn is spent on buying. Building is taken very liberally here, working in an office is 'building' or rather maintaining an ongoing work.

However no country should have the audacity to think they can stand alone, after all it is not only materials that countries trade in, but also ideas and cultures.

I dislike the idea of the peaceful retreat, the inner peace that is detached from everything else, on the basis that if everyone did it then the unpeaceful world would be a rather empty place. Not that finding inner peace and a sanctum is wrong, in that case I should not throw stones from this ivory tower.

A better country starts with better people, not tomorrow but today, and in small steps. Such conviction however is often only found in tyrants and not universally.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

jvp said:ML, any category, something that you believe would lead to a significantly different future.  

Ok--my biggest pet peeve/issue is:  Taking care of our own country first.

And by that I mean:
1.   Quit outsourcing all our jobs to foreign countries

2.   Clean up our messes in the USA first before shoveling all our money to other countries to clean up their messes.

3.   How about providing for our own natural-born citizens first, before giving handouts to those here on Visas and/or illegal immigrants, i.e. college funding and such.  It's pretty bad when some people who live here can't even get into the college of their choice or pay for it because all the slots and funds are being given to foreigners.

4.  Revamp the welfare system to be used what it was intended for:  help until you get back on your feet, not to make a living and get a free ride off the public dole.  Set limits--any babies born to you AFTER you've gone on welfare don't get covered--too F-ing bad, you should have used birth control, and your public funds can only last so long and will be cancelled at some setpoint in the future either when you've gotten a job (once they stop outsourcing them...) or at a time-out point.

5.  Keep our money down here on Earth to pay for those in need in our own country--why do we care if there's life on Uranus?  All the money we funnel into the space program is just blowing smoke up "uranus".

6.  Foreigners and/or illegal aliens who commit crimes while in the USA:  automatic deportation back to where you came from.  We have enough of our own criminals, freeloading off the system.

There--I think that's all for now....

(disclaimer:  I have no problem with people from other countries, but they need to work to make their own countries work, too--not just us)

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

build what you need and let your neighbor borrow it
international commerce is not the problem
just don't kill the dude next store cuz he reads different books and then throw money at him after to appease the neighborhood watch.....

m_abbott1999
Madi
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 2nd Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 509

Gen-X is sending us down the drain.
Over-cautious with their children and too technologically advanced with all the stupid car gadgets and junk.

I think we need to rely more on ourselves and less on robots.
The fact that people don't know how to address an envelope is baffling.

night-star
Rhiannon
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 11th Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 154

We through out everything we got, and start fresh. But what do I know? Im just a kid.

poet Anonymous

double post

poet Anonymous

build a spacecraft and put all the antiAmerican rednecks on board, and blast it off to the next galaxy.. We won't have wasted our money on the project if the ship blows up during the mission.

jvp
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st June 2014

OK, I started this, so I'd like to flush this out some more...

Missy, escape would be nice, escape to somewhere pleasant is better.  But, we can't all escape.  So, what about the rest of us?

ML, you just listed some existing programs and want to replace / change to something else.  Seems that that's the path that we took to get here.  What will make the country better?  Not just continue the same old.

Johnrot, what are you saying?  Build, borrow, international trade, don't bomb people that are different...  You must thing the world is wonderful as is!

Madi, you sound like me talking to my kids.  Life was better N years ago because we did this/that.  Kids reply: "Life is much better now, better organized, more efficient, more choices, better choices, nothing in the past was better".  How do you respond to that?   So, you think the answer lies in the past?

Rhiannon, start fresh.  New day approach.  Well, isn't everyday a new day?  Sometimes, I'm amazed the system keeps running, not that dysfunctional.  2008 was a bit of a scare, a lot closed, but seems the routine is back.  You, like JR, seem to be very happy with the current system.  I'm in that group too, actually, I'm trying to figure out how to make myself happier within the current system...  If we started fresh, what would be different tomorrow?

HolyDove, so the govt should get rid of the people you don't like.  And that makes the country better?  Not sure about that one.  Interesting, the US was founded on freedom for all men, which was really only the white men from europe, so seems more than half the people got left out.  US has had 200 years trying to include more.  But, you want to get rid of a few of them?

Well, seems like the country and world is a wonderful place after all...   Those older people working at McDs may not have a lot of choices.  All those people running out of unemployment, or dropped out, not counted anymore.  Well, we can be happy the stock market is up up up...   I too am at loss, but seems like part of the solution is to engage more people in better paying jobs, or to reduce the emphasis on buying / selling.

What can we do tomorrow, that is different, new, and better than what we did before?

Go to page:
Go to: