Page:

i'm sorry, but i need help

fieryangelsouljia
M6rr6g6n
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 30th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 263

I'm really hurt right now. My boyfriend gave me these beautiful 50 dollar headphones last christmas. They were his favorite headphones, the headphones that he would drown everything out with. He took those headphones with him everywhere and were his favorite treasures. He gave them to me because he didnt really use them anymore and because he knew they would be in loving, protective hands. He also gave them to me so that I may have them for comfort and to have them at my side to drown out the world when I needed it the most. My boyfriend and I are bonded together by our love for music and those headphones were more symbolic and sentimental than the pentacle around my neck, more symbolic than the cross on top of a church. I cherished those headphones. last week I was listening to music with them and doing summerschool work. My dad came in and got really pissed for some reason. I never said anything, i was just waiting for the computer to load and he didnt know they belonged to my boyfriend. He tore them from my head and smashed them on the ground before my eyes, immediately breaking them. I was so heartbroken and devastated. He went on like nothing happened and my mom was understanding, but she just didnt UNDERSTAND the value of those headphones. Yesterday I was talking to my boyfriend and we were talking about music and he talked about all the adventures and awesome things he did with those headphones and I almost broke down and told him what had happened to them. Should I tell him? What do I do if he asks to see them again or something? What if it puts a rift in our relationship? Im really scared right now, and i'm still so heartbroken by what happened to those headphones. please help.

JohnFeddeler
Tyrant of Words
United States 83awards
Joined 18th Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 325

I'm probably the 1st one to see this. I think anyone who responds will suggest that you tell him what happened. but don't go by me. watch your thread, you'll probably get better advice...

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 1awards
Joined 4th May 2010
Forum Posts: 2144

Personally I think you should tell him. Dishonesty is a killer and moving through things like this are just opportunities to grow. I know that when I started lying to my ex about not going to college and trying to keep up appearances that caused more of a rift then telling her. At least if I'd told her what was going on for me we might've had something real to talk about. We're all human and shit happens.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
jvp
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st June 2014
Forum Posts: 91

Don't worry, be happy.  If damaged headphones are going to destroy your relationship, it may be for the better.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

The headphones are a material item.  All material items can be replaced, but you as flesh and blood, cannot be replaced physically, if it were you that was destroyed.  Telling your boyfriend about the headphones will be a good show of where his priorities lie and where you stand with him.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6693

It was not you who destroyed the headphones so don't feel guilty about that. Do tell him as otherwise any lie will just be an unnecessary problem waiting to happen. Headphones are material but the worth of the memories are immaterial and priceless: value the memories and cherish them, share them, but let the material headphones go.

On a slightly bright side perhaps this is a chance to get a new set of headphones and build new memories together.

fieryangelsouljia
M6rr6g6n
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 30th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 263

alright. thank you all so much. I told him and he was very good about it. you're right. headphones are material. thanks

hlovesb28
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 29th June 2014
Forum Posts: 3

So glad to hear that he was not upset about the headphones.. Talk about memories or songs related to the headphones, and as other posters are saying, "just materialistic". Greater things await you two in your journey through life.

Juliet_Disguised
JaneDoe
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 68

If he really loves you he will understand that those headphones were only a symbolic item and that you two hold the memories you have with those headphones. If you're relationship is as strong as you say it is them he will look past it and be worried about wether or not you're okay. It'll be okay! :-)

EngrVV
D_Poetic Engineer
Dangerous Mind
United States 40awards
Joined 11th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 2483

Material things can be replaced but your love for each other is priceless...I'm glad you followed the advice of the DUP community who were unanimous with their thoughts.

m_L
Lost Thinker
United States 1awards
Joined 15th July 2014
Forum Posts: 25

Agreed with Lavender!

Page:
Go to: