Go to page:

the age old debate about

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14455

A kind of piggy back off The Madman's thread about focus and how it's been leaning towards competitions.

I've an idea for a competition. the competition would focus on debate and the art of articulation, getting your point across in a concise good mannered couple of paragraphs. (400 words)

I will furnish you with a statement and you will either approve and give reasons why or disapprove and explain why you disapprove or indeed sit on the fence and explain why

the problem I have is how the hell am I s'posed to mark it. would it best to put it to poll? and if I put it to poll then what would be being judged

anyhow it'd be nice to see if there's any interest in it before I go putting it together so if you've an interest then pop your name below and I'll have my secretary ring your secretary    

mbass33
matthew bass
Fire of Insight
Honduras 7awards
Joined 22nd Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 334

I am very interested

violet
Vi
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 6awards
Joined 13th Feb 2011
Forum Posts: 2523

Your name.

:)

lightbaron
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 19th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 2374

Im in big poppa

kriticool
Fire of Insight
32awards
Joined 1st Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 596

i'd like to how it goes

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

four is a pretty good start thanks guys n doll. I'll put my thinking cap on

onlywakingexists
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 76

Depending on the statement, we'd call this a short essay, I think. I'll try it oot.

exe
Lost Thinker
Joined 17th May 2014
Forum Posts: 38

I would like to be considered. this will be just like debate club in law school.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

I'll give it a go, depending on when you set it up;  I need another week before I can get back to creative/fun writing--almost done rewriting part of a course I'm teaching this fall, and still cleaning up the aftermath of putting Gram in a nursing home, but that should be done in a few days.

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

i'm down lepp.........................

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6690

Looks like you'll need at least one example of rambling half-precise arguments, so count me in. Besides if there aren't enough people to make up the nmbers then it looks like its all friend based and thats where the damned lies start to creep in.

On a side note, sounds like you have given up fighting them craic and have turned to joining them. Or at least muddying the competition waters with some unpoetic prosaic words.

jvp
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st June 2014
Forum Posts: 91

Sounds interesting, should generate some good reads...

poet Anonymous

Sounds a good idea. I also think poll would be the best approach.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

alright then, that'll do (well two more would be cool shoes)

so here's what I'm thinking. I'd like to split you up into groups of three.
for example:

Missy
Viddax
J. Rot

we'll go alphabetical. so to start the round off Jon will come out with a statement and Viddax and Missy would give their opinions. Jon will then make a note of scores he feels are fair for the two replies (and send them to me also)  and then address Viddax and Missy's opinions. Then Missy will start off with her statement and score Jon and Viddax on their replies etc. the scores for each round will be revealed when all three have had their turn of posting a statement

highest scorer from each round goes through to a final or semi final depending on the total amount of participants  

400 words is a lot so it'll be the limit rather than the expected. feel free to use quotes, analogies , metaphors etc but if you use a quote explain your belief in it.

goes without saying personal attacks will render the perp disqualified (so I won't say it)

does that sound fair enough to all?

ps.  about the scores, let's say between 1 and 5. I've full confidence in all y'alls integrity. if there's a thigh ..a bronzed slender long..

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6690

Alright Craic that sounds good, one thing though. Please remind me which way to face and what to do at the time as I am running rather stupid at the moment. Probably be a breeze as soon as it starts.

Go to page:
Go to: