Go to page:

What is the strongest emotion?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

I'd have thought that in trying to correlate or compare an emotion to strength or levels of strength, then the first thing to do is have some sort of scale for strength.

does the emotion move you on the inside

does the emotion bring you to tears

does it move you physically to do something you'd not normally do

if the answers to the above are all yes, then what you have there is an emotion that's strong enough to move you mentally and physically. I'd imagine the level or scale of strength is subjective to the individual and depending on circumstances, so I'd say most emotions have the potential to be strongest until circumstance gives another a bit more bite

Eshai
Strange Creature
Joined 4th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 4

If speaking in universal terms, then yes I agree you'd need to have a defined scale. But we are all indeed different. So I also agree that the strength of any emotion is relative to the individual.

Here is my personal take on it:

When I speak of strength, what I am personally referring to is the ability to have power (control) over other people. Hatred enables this. Complete and utter contempt which motivates me to set the board just right to the absolute failure of others.

Love and kindness can do the same by making others feel obligated to me, or by making other people have a genuine desire to uplift me. People fight for love, and those they love, after all. However, for me, I risk falling into the same manipulative trap in which I would snare them, therefore I simply tend to avoid it all together. I equate my own love for a thing an emotional dependency, which is therefore weakness. Kindness fosters love, which potentially gives way to emotional dependency yet again, and is therefore weakness.

Even anger, so often linked to hatred, when uncontrolled, is mostly weakness as it reverts my mind and body to a primal state, unthinking and not calculating, which in the wrong circumstances creates foolish vulnerability I could ill afford.

cerulean_eyes
Strange Creature
Joined 13th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 3

It sure helps!

cerulean_eyes
Strange Creature
Joined 13th Apr 2014

anna_grin said:death is an emotion

1, 2, skip a few, 12
and you will feel so much better
good sleep is the foundation
i do not accept that my fate is not in my hands
when i so clearly control
-
wheni so clearly-

Atehequa
Thought Provoker
Joined 10th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 261

Ahhh, attempting to arrive at another conclusion by polling, voting or contesting.

All emotions are equally strong.

nymphetaminegirl
Lost Thinker
Joined 18th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 9

I think all emotions are tied to each other in way. I voted for anger but that is just the way I feel about this topic. I think as someone already said it depends on the person and the reason for feeling the emotion. I would have also included jealousy in the list.

mojado123
mojado-123.
Thought Provoker
Kenya 1awards
Joined 16th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 28

something that touches the heart is so emotional and that is love

dungendona
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 24th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 65

Love has two different sides,  It can warm you or bring you to your knees. The hardest for me is healing.

Benji
Leah Johnson
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 23rd Mar 2011
Forum Posts: 556

Anger.

Pathospassion
c.d.latin
Thought Provoker
United States 8awards
Joined 1st Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 172

Do you think that anger is a sincere emotion or just the timid motion of a fragile heart trying to beat away its pain?
- Andrea Gibson (Asking Too Much)

BoFantastic
Thought Provoker
7awards
Joined 24th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 333

love is not an emotion. so I have to say Anger is the strongest emotion. I've seen anger change people into monsters. I've seen kids lose their innocence when angry and the most intelligent people do the stupidest things because of anger. Learn to express anger without violence.

justsomeplainjane
Strange Creature
Joined 30th Apr 2014

i also believe that love is not an emotion. the feeling of anger can take over the body. some people can be so angry that they black out and don't remember what they have done, has happiness ever done that to someone? i don't believe so.

ummbryan420
expression.in.context
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 10th Nov 2012
Forum Posts: 99

justsomeplainjane said:i also believe that love is not an emotion. the feeling of anger can take over the body. some people can be so angry that they black out and don't remember what they have done, has happiness ever done that to someone? i don't believe so.
Awesome perspctive..
And not this just popes in my head tho, wouldn't is also make sense for a strong emotion to make to never able to forget something or stop thinking of it?..
I really like what you said though

RavenofSorrow
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 19th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 453

the strongest emotion is that which we bring to the center of our conciousness. Emotions are not things in and of itself. therefore there is no separation from the emotion and the one feeling the emotion. just like theres no separation of the dancer from the dance.

Shadowstalk3r
Strange Creature
Joined 1st May 2014

Love and hate

Go to page:
Go to: