Go to page:

Bodily Harm

anonymouslyhere
Pariah Shadow
Dangerous Mind
United States 5awards
Joined 31st Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 1633

Lost_Angel said:[quote-257399-anonymouslyhere]its very hard! have you managed to stop? if you do not my asking

No :P[/quote]

that sucks :/ its hard

Moonlite_nthe_Dark
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 8th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 18

The physical pain helps take the person's mind off things mentally. I've never sliced my skin a few times I thought of it. Sometimes things become too much I'd feel like everything was out of control, that there was nothing to hold on to my thoughts would be racing I couldn't focus on none of them. Instead i'd dig my nails into my arms and hand, i'd claw at my arms focusing on that instead of my thoughts.

RaverBee
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 21st Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 12

I dabbled with self harming when I was a teenager (some 15 years ago). I was going through the blindingly angry stage of puberty, and I did enjoy it at the time but not enough to keep me doing it. I didn't do it for attention because nobody knew about it. I did it because it felt cathartic. Again though, the rewards were not enough to keep me wanting to do it.

Recently I have needed a similar conduit for my frustration and aggression and I have found it in physical exercise. A proper good workout hurts like crazy but it drains every last drop of tension and anger from my body. Im not suggesting that my method is for everyone but just to highlight that there are other ways.

APERSON
Eris
Fire of Insight
United States 1awards
Joined 24th Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 1082

snugglebuck said:At the risk of sounding insensitive, which I'm not, 'is body mortification a way to release pain, or can it be, at times a way to seek attention?"  

I'm not passing judgment. I've seriously asked myself this question, and I've as of yet been able to come up with an answer.

Also, by wondering, if this is an attentions seeking mechanism, I'm not implying that it shouldn't be taken seriously.  As we all need attention from friends, family, and 'yes'; lovers.

"Could this be an act of loneliness?"  Your thoughts please.

Just saying this because it kind of annoys me, I know I personally injured myself because I was pissed off...
sounds completely idiotic but in all honesty it was punch holes in my wall, burn cigarettes on my arm, chop that same arm up, and finally drink all the whiskey I could find and pass out...
it wasn't some loneliness or some self hatred... I just was so fucking angry...I did not want attention,(the attention from my landlord was worse enough......)now I can't even get a job, I seriously doubt most people do it for attention, it's more of a damn I'm really emotionally fucked up right now... and honestly who thinks of a tomorrow when each and everyday is just awful?... might just be me but I spent most of my time in my nice fantasy world. Now I'm like, damn, mothers don't even want me to babysit, and schools tell me to cover up...My body is too disgusting for children to see, kind of awful, I want kids!...

... guess you could say for me it was a sort of "fuck off" to the world...

poet Anonymous

test

onlywakingexists
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 76

Wish I had an emo friend at the height of my cocaine habit.

BradyGidge
Strange Creature
Canada
Joined 24th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 4

SO well said, it is much easier to start than to stop, and even harder to control. I started doing it years ago and although I haven't in 2014, even now I still get urges to when I'm hurting.

AuthorofDarkness
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 18th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 5

Been there done that, it's not a pretty thing. But it a fascinating this in some other ways, it can be very symbolic, for example:

I was raised in a religiously oppressive environment where I couldn't express my dislike, or differing beliefs and so I turned to self injury. I carved an upside cross on each arm and carved the word HELL into my arms. Another girl I know with a similar background also carves crosses into herself.

It can be a way of self expression, but it's not a good one....

poet Anonymous

More like self-Deprecation.

ShadowsandWind
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 10th Aug 2010
Forum Posts: 86

some people hurt themselves out of hunger. if youre hungry go eat some garlic and a fucking steak. if its out of veneration why are you talking about it?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

I knew a cutter once, long time ago. didn't know 'til I walked in and saw her arms cut. [I probably should have known, all she ever listened to was Dido, and when  white flag came on ..well, let's just say if she'd have took up miming for a living] anyhow I'll not lie, my first thoughts were to lighten the occasion by saying "well, if that's your idea of shaving, you might want switch to wax" ..but I thought better of it.  

night-star
Rhiannon
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 11th Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 154

I cut. It's a form of release and control.  When you cut you release all the bad feelings  and gain control over life.  It  clears my head  and makes me feel better. I find that most people don't understand why others cut. They think it is for attention and things like that. But for a true cutter it is about an emotional realese. It makes you feel better. The sting of a knife against my skin is the most wonderful sensation I have ever experienced. I love it. My knife is a safe haven for me. When things get bad it is my best friend. The pain is my savior.

Jakki
Lost Thinker
Australia
Joined 20th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 13

A song/poem by Sage Francis called Inherited Scars tackles the topic better than a million angsty teens ever could. Give him a listen

Satyr
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 20th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 59

The last time I cut myself, I went to the hospital. Ambulance rides are NOT as fun as I was led to believe. Turns out that since I had a history with self-mutilation and suicide, I had to be committed. I was on a psych ward for 24 days through Christmas in 2009. I'm 24 now. This was almost five years ago. Never again will I revert back to that state ov mind, but I'll never forget the pure bliss I felt when I broke through my skin.

"I'll never know if it was worth the pain, but I still loved it more than anything in the world. It was my life." - Kali Sikaran

That quote will stay with me for the rest ov my life when I think back on the errors I've made against myself. And it holds truth to my past. I believe it holds truth to everybody's past when cutting is involved. We wouldn't have done it if we didn't enjoy it.

anonymouslyhere
Pariah Shadow
Dangerous Mind
United States 5awards
Joined 31st Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 1633

Jakki said:A song/poem by Sage Francis called Inherited Scars tackles the topic better than a million angsty teens ever could. Give him a listen
well, you were right! can't believe I hadn't ever heard of him or the song

Go to page:
Go to: