Go to page:

Methods & Powerful Songs

poet Anonymous

Hello DU Family Members,

I don't how you all write. Some may need to be in a certain place at a certain time with certain music. Some of you may write first in a journal and then type it. Some may not write in a journal at all. We all have different environments that need to be a certain way for us to write successfully. For me, I need a computer (as I hate my penmanship) and a powerful, dark and/or in-depth song with powerful lyrics to get me in the poetic/writing mood. So I have two questions for my fellow DU relatives:

1. Where do you write (does it need to be a certain place?) and what do you use--journal first or right to the computer? Do you listen to music or you need silence? Do you need to be in a certain emotional state or you can write about anything and everything no matter your mood?

2. Also, I need your help. So many threads have been posted about music and I trust your judgement. I need to find new powerful/dark/deep songs to  get me into the writing mood (and if I am in the mood already, I need songs to keep me there). Also...if I want to write an erotic poem, I listen to sexy songs like "Undercover Agent For The Blues" (Tina Turner)...essentially songs that would make one just completely zone out.

Examples of powerful songs that I listen to are:

1. Seven Devils (Florence & The Machine)

2. Bones (Josh Record)

3. Hollow Drum (Laura Welsh)

4. Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley)

5. Wolf's Law (The Joy Formidable)

poet Anonymous

Interesting you should mention Number 2, I grew up with one of the members. Our parents still talk actually.

I write primarily on a spare of the moment and can write pretty much anywhere. I tend to do some of my best writing when I'm on the bus or on the train. Usually I scribble things down on my phone, then construct them into something tangible later on.

For me, my best writing always occurs when I'm listening to music. Constantly on my playlist:
* Matthew Good - 'Avalanche' and 'hospital music' albums
* Morissey / The Smiths
* Beethoven
* Florence & the machine
* Dimmu Borgir
* Dream Theater
* Opeth
* Muse

poet Anonymous

Thanks Missy, I will take your musical suggestions :)

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

For me, whatever I write, writes itself, and I'm just the vessel by which it comes out into print. Most of the time I see or hear a phrase or title in my head, and I'll jot it down on a small notepad, I keep with me all the time, to catch things as they come.  I might walk around with my "list" for a week or more, until the rest forms itself.  That's how I write a lot of competition entries here--I'll get something for my notes, then a comp will pop up, and it's like the title was there, waiting for the competition to arise, then I'll pull out the rest.  

I also find that if I have a road map to follow, or set of instructions, the writing flows better--that's why I like the comps, because they give direction on what to write.  

As far as music, I have to have absolute silence when I write or whatever's in there, goes away.  Sometimes, too, it comes out late at night when I'm at work, but the white noise of the machines in the lab make a steady-ness for me to follow along with.  If I'm feeling writer's block, I'll usually go walk around in a cemetery, or along railroad tracks--quiet places where the rest of the world goes away and I can "hear" my thoughts.  Sometimes, too, I'll get in my truck and go for a ride with all the windows down, no matter what the weather, just to have the wind to focus on.

Also on the topic of music, I do write songs from time to time, and when I hear a melody in my head, I'll sing it into my phone to catch it and wait for the rest to form around it. That aspect of my writing, I feel, is for down the road, though--later in life.  What I do now is sort of training me for whatever may be coming along, as far as songwriting.

poet Anonymous

TLIFD
Rope
Thought Provoker
2awards
Joined 17th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 232

Miss_Sub said:Interesting you should mention Number 2, I grew up with one of the members. Our parents still talk actually.

I write primarily on a spare of the moment and can write pretty much anywhere. I tend to do some of my best writing when I'm on the bus or on the train. Usually I scribble things down on my phone, then construct them into something tangible later on.

For me, my best writing always occurs when I'm listening to music. Constantly on my playlist:
* Matthew Good - 'Avalanche' and 'hospital music' albums
* Morissey / The Smiths
* Beethoven
* Florence & the machine
* Dimmu Borgir
* Dream Theater
* Opeth
* Muse

"Dimmu Borgir","Dream Theater","Opeth".Enjoy this high five

Jakki
Lost Thinker
Australia
Joined 20th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 13

Powerful music is relatable. You have to capture a feeling or situation that people can put themselves in or have felt before. It's a tricky act to balance between relatable and cliche, but then you also have the other edge of that sword where heavily metaphoric lyrics tend to go over the top of most audiences' heads, which is a shame because that audience includes A&R reps at any label you get your demo's into.

The second part of a powerful song is you need a track that conveys the same message as the lyrics, which is seriously difficult to wing if you've never studied or composed music yourself. There are a lot of fantastic songs that have a mediocre or uninspiring lyrics and vice versa, the trick is matching the two.

Common themes in most of them are orchestral arrangements, you can thank 21st century producers for that - professional production will generally mean your track matches score with lyric. So brush up on your ProTools, you'll need it if you're aiming for Bittersweet Symphony

TLIFD
Rope
Thought Provoker
2awards
Joined 17th Dec 2011

MadameLavender said:For me, whatever I write, writes itself, and I'm just the vessel by which it comes out into print. Most of the time I see or hear a phrase or title in my head, and I'll jot it down on a small notepad, I keep with me all the time, to catch things as they come.  I might walk around with my "list" for a week or more, until the rest forms itself.  That's how I write a lot of competition entries here--I'll get something for my notes, then a comp will pop up, and it's like the title was there, waiting for the competition to arise, then I'll pull out the rest.  

I also find that if I have a road map to follow, or set of instructions, the writing flows better--that's why I like the comps, because they give direction on what to write.  

As far as music, I have to have absolute silence when I write or whatever's in there, goes away.  Sometimes, too, it comes out late at night when I'm at work, but the white noise of the machines in the lab make a steady-ness for me to follow along with.  If I'm feeling writer's block, I'll usually go walk around in a cemetery, or along railroad tracks--quiet places where the rest of the world goes away and I can "hear" my thoughts.  Sometimes, too, I'll get in my truck and go for a ride with all the windows down, no matter what the weather, just to have the wind to focus on.

Also on the topic of music, I do write songs from time to time, and when I hear a melody in my head, I'll sing it into my phone to catch it and wait for the rest to form around it. That aspect of my writing, I feel, is for down the road, though--later in life.  What I do now is sort of training me for whatever may be coming along, as far as songwriting.

can i title you the poster lady of Dup?

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

^^ As long as you don't draw a bulls-eye on that poster....

:D

TLIFD
Rope
Thought Provoker
2awards
Joined 17th Dec 2011

emotion : mainly morbidity , anger when it comes to erotica its mainly an epic time.
Music screamo metal obliviously melodic ,I feel as if I am filling the words in.
I try and get a picture vision in my head.

When you say "powerful songs",to me that means my favorite songs.
band name then song name.

cradle of filth - bathory aria (if you haven't heard then just trust ,won't let you down)
Frost like ashes :Notions of insanity
DIMMU BORGIR - Sorgens Kammer - Del II
DIMMU BORGIR - Gateways
Wykid wytch - Memories of a dying whore
origin - Finite
Agrypine -( "Aetas_Cineris" album name) will get you in a morbid state))
System Of A Down - war?
Tvangeste-("Damnation_Of_Regiomontum"- album name)
Inquisition - Empire of Luciferian Race (back in my satanic days lol)

if you gave these the time haha inspiration has already taken you refuge.

TLIFD
Rope
Thought Provoker
2awards
Joined 17th Dec 2011

MadameLavender said:^^ As long as you don't draw a bulls-eye on that poster....

:D

poet Anonymous

TLIFD said:emotion : mainly morbidity , anger when it comes to erotica its mainly an epic time.
Music screamo metal obliviously melodic ,I feel as if I am filling the words in.
I try and get a picture vision in my head.

When you say "powerful songs",to me that means my favorite songs.
band name then song name.

cradle of filth - bathory aria (if you haven't heard then just trust ,won't let you down)
Frost like ashes :Notions of insanity
DIMMU BORGIR - Sorgens Kammer - Del II
DIMMU BORGIR - Gateways
Wykid wytch - Memories of a dying whore
origin - Finite
Agrypine -( "Aetas_Cineris" album name) will get you in a morbid state))
System Of A Down - war?
Tvangeste-("Damnation_Of_Regiomontum"- album name)
Inquisition - Empire of Luciferian Race (back in my satanic days lol)

if you gave these the time haha inspiration has already taken you refuge.

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

And ML, interesting perspective about writing and comps!

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

Usually write at home. Start by scribbling on a piece of paper. SILENCE ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. Any song lyrics or speech radio, especially what you call 'powerful songs', are bound to be a distraction. They interfere with thought-flow and vocabulary-choice.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

SW--try some Patti Smith; she's a great talent as far as both written work and music. Listen to her latest album "Banga" all the way through--really nice combo of a mix of song and spoken word music/poetry and I think it's her best yet. That CD always inspires me to write after I listen to it while driving.

poet Anonymous

MadameLavender said:SW--try some Patti Smith; she's a great talent as far as both written work and music. Listen to her latest album "Banga" all the way through--really nice combo of a mix of song and spoken word music/poetry and I think it's her best yet. That CD always inspires me to write after I listen to it while driving.

Thanks ML for the suggestion,

and Ceejay, I see your view, silence is also sometimes a good fit for me.

Go to page:
Go to: