TLIFD
Rope
Thought Provoker
2awards
Joined 17th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 232

Sup all metal heads lets talk metal.
so to heat this baby up.
Do you consider bands like Metalica ,Venom ,Iron Madian metal?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

Yeah, I guess. I mean, I don't know what you'd like to call them if not metal.

poet Anonymous

Do I consider Metallica metal. Pfft.
... That's like asking if the Pope is catholic.

mjs211
MikeTheEngineer
Dangerous Mind
United States 20awards
Joined 22nd Aug 2010
Forum Posts: 1572

Metallica helped define and inform wide swaths of modern metal. This is a silly question. If a band predates the subcategorization ad infinitum that modern metal fans insist on using to describe their individual bands, they're just "metal."

Incidentally, the two most annoying music fandom trends to me are (1) the entire subcategorization fetish that exists mainly within the metal community, and (2) the catch-all "alternative" genre.

For the former, the word "genre" should describe a wide group of loosely associated bands, and then use goddamn adjectives to describe the individual bands' sounds to someone like an adult. Any coked-out reject with a guitar and a finger twitch can be described as the best band in a genre consisting of that one band, when you add twelve qualifiers to the name of the genre.

For the latter, music is continually reinventing itself. Of course there are always going to be bands with an unorthodox style. They're not an alternative to anything but the same stale sounds of the older bands. Most music dubbed "alternative" should just be categorized as "rock" or "metal" with at most one qualifier in front of it. "Alternative" is a lazy genre classification for those unable to make a(n ultimately meaningless) decision about what genre to classify a band as, or for fans who like to feel different but the band is too mainstream to be considered indie or underground.

Most of this wasn't directed at you, by the way, just a general rant I've been meaning to let out.

TLIFD
Rope
Thought Provoker
2awards
Joined 17th Dec 2011

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

awww girl get off the fence ,and pick a side

TLIFD
Rope
Thought Provoker
2awards
Joined 17th Dec 2011

Lost_Angel said:Yeah, I guess. I mean, I don't know what you'd like to call them if not metal.

classic rock, lol

TLIFD
Rope
Thought Provoker
2awards
Joined 17th Dec 2011

mjs211 said:Metallica helped define and inform wide swaths of modern metal. This is a silly question. If a band predates the subcategorization ad infinitum that modern metal fans insist on using to describe their individual bands, they're just "metal."

Incidentally, the two most annoying music fandom trends to me are (1) the entire subcategorization fetish that exists mainly within the metal community, and (2) the catch-all "alternative" genre.

For the former, the word "genre" should describe a wide group of loosely associated bands, and then use goddamn adjectives to describe the individual bands' sounds to someone like an adult. Any coked-out reject with a guitar and a finger twitch can be described as the best band in a genre consisting of that one band, when you add twelve qualifiers to the name of the genre.

For the latter, music is continually reinventing itself. Of course there are always going to be bands with an unorthodox style. They're not an alternative to anything but the same stale sounds of the older bands. Most music dubbed "alternative" should just be categorized as "rock" or "metal" with at most one qualifier in front of it. "Alternative" is a lazy genre classification for those unable to make a(n ultimately meaningless) decision about what genre to classify a band as, or for fans who like to feel different but the band is too mainstream to be considered indie or underground.

Most of this wasn't directed at you, by the way, just a general rant I've been meaning to let out.

1. their are a lot of subcategory's in metal.
2. it sounds as if you are into bands like pink floyd and the like.

(the truth is if metilica had to be a modern day band i highly doubt this band would make it into metal the genera)  

lol
its okay man let it all out

TLIFD
Rope
Thought Provoker
2awards
Joined 17th Dec 2011

Note you can still answer previous questions that has been asked.
The show must move on.
What are your opinions of the screamo movement in metal?  

mjs211
MikeTheEngineer
Dangerous Mind
United States 20awards
Joined 22nd Aug 2010
Forum Posts: 1572

TLIFD said:1. their are a lot of subcategory's in metal.

(the truth is if metilica had to be a modern day band i highly doubt this band would make it into metal the genera)  

lol

Categorization is an abstract concept. There are exactly as many subgenres as you want there to be.

HadesRising
Tyrant of Words
United States 34awards
Joined 8th June 2013
Forum Posts: 1616

Ahhh Metallica and metal. Do I consider them a metal band? No, not anymore. I have no respect for them, other than some their older music. Venom and Maiden, yes, they are respectable to me.

HarleyQuinn
Riah
Thought Provoker
South Africa 4awards
Joined 2nd Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 98

Of course they're metal, they're the founding fathers of the genre we have today.

HarleyQuinn
Riah
Thought Provoker
South Africa 4awards
Joined 2nd Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 98

TLIFD said:[quote-257114-mjs211]Metallica helped define and inform wide swaths of modern metal. This is a silly question. If a band predates the subcategorization ad infinitum that modern metal fans insist on using to describe their individual bands, they're just "metal."

1. their are a lot of subcategory's in metal.

lol
[/quote] maybe you're right, maybe metallica would never make it in todays industry, but we have to give them credit. They built up an entire generation of metalheads. For a while they were the spokesmen of the genre and they did it pretty fucking impressively if I say so myself.

TLIFD
Rope
Thought Provoker
2awards
Joined 17th Dec 2011

Just a side topic.
ANY TENICOUS D LOVERS.

HarleyQuinn
Riah
Thought Provoker
South Africa 4awards