Do you think addictions go hand and hand with intelligence?

46.51% • 20 votes • No
34.88% • 15 votes • Yes
18.60% • 8 votes • Maybe/other- i shall comment my reasoning.
Total votes: 43
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Do you think addictions go hand and hand with intelligence?

fake_reality
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 12th June 2012
Forum Posts: 1028

Squib and gemimi
great points

dkzksaxxas_DanielX
DadaDoggyDannyKozakSaxfn
Tyrant of Words
United States 32awards
Joined 10th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 209

Necrophiliac Vegan
was
a name i noticed on DUP 'on line now' column on the left....i've not researched this 'person' any further. i'Know Nothing (quite well)

poet Anonymous

Gemini said:I'm going to chime in here. Many of you may disagree with me and that's just fine. I first want to say that I don't mean to offend anyone with my statements so if I do, I apologize in advance. My theories here may be general speak and there are, of course, exceptions to these generalizations. The rest is personal experience. Also, so that you understand where my point of view and possible bias comes from, I am a heroin addict who has been in recovery for 16 months.

First, there is a huge difference between creativity and intelligence.

In regard to what could be considered artistic creativity, I don't see there being a difference in quality between addicts and non-addicts. When it comes to creativity in everyday life, I find the addict far more superior. We have to be. Being a junkie requires ongoing stealing, scheeming, scaming, manipulating people and situations, etc. Feeding our addictions (which is the primary purpose in our lives) is contingent upon developing this creative skill Non-sddicts don't have as much need for these skills and even if they do it is not to the extreme that an addict requires them.

In my opinion, there are two types of intelligence. Book smart and Street smart. Book smart has to do with things like IQ testing. Some studies by local addiction treatment centers (in Chicago) recently have shown some interesting results. The average IQ in an adult human is 100. These studies have shown that it's about 15 points higher for addicts (115). I don't know how many subjects were tested so I don't know if it is valid research but I do believe it. The things that surprised me most were that these tests were taken within the first couple weeks of sobriety whilst the brain is still very foggy. Also, we have done damage to our brains that non-addicts have not. IQ tests are begining to be considered obsolete though so let's look at 'Street Smarts." Addicts, in general, obviously have more because of the lives we've lived. This is developed though and has little to do with genetics (which is a whole other topic in regard to addictions.) For example, 15 years ago I could go into the ghettos to cop dope and get ripped off because I couldn't tell the difference between a black man standing on a corner selling smack and a black man on the corner about to rip me off or an undercover cop from a citizen. Experience has raised my street IQ making me, in a sense, more intelligent than my pre-addict days.

Therefore, this brief summary explains why my theory is that, generally speaking, the addict is more intellligent than the non-addict. Like I said, I may be bias but my IQ of 133 should give some validity to my intelligence on the topic.

I hope all of that made sense and applied somewhat, at least. If not, I blame it on brain damage.

This is an interesting post you have written, Gemini
I see what you mean about drug addicts developing a sense to improvise in sudden situations...
Many people I have met who are drug addicts have a great amount of knowledge of life, they can handle tough situations.
There are times that Ive gotten some great advice about life from a drug addict...

However, I wouldnt say one is more intelligent than the other.
Its more the opposite thing, that young people, teens with a high Iq are more likely to devellop an addiction problem

poet Anonymous

[quote-166341-Gemini]I'm going to chime in here. Many of you may disagree with me and that's just fine. I first want to say that I don't mean to offend anyone with my statements so if I do, I apologize in advance. My theories here may be general speak and there are, of course, exceptions to these generalizations. The rest is personal experience. Also, so that you understand where my point of view and possible bias comes from, I am a heroin addict who has been in recovery for 16 months.

First, there is a huge difference between creativity and intelligence.

In regard to what could be considered artistic creativity, I don't see there being a difference in quality between addicts and non-addicts. When it comes to creativity in everyday life, I find the addict far more superior. We have to be. Being a junkie requires ongoing stealing, scheeming, scaming, manipulating people and situations, etc. Feeding our addictions (which is the primary purpose in our lives) is contingent upon developing this creative skill Non-sddicts don't have as much need for these skills and even if they do it is not to the extreme that an addict requires them.

In my opinion, there are two types of intelligence. Book smart and Street smart. Book smart has to do with things like IQ testing. Some studies by local addiction treatment centers (in Chicago) recently have shown some interesting results. The average IQ in an adult human is 100. These studies have shown that it's about 15 points higher for addicts (115). I don't know how many subjects were tested so I don't know if it is valid research but I do believe it. The things that surprised me most were that these tests were taken within the first couple weeks of sobriety whilst the brain is still very foggy. Also, we have done damage to our brains that non-addicts have not. IQ tests are begining to be considered obsolete though so let's look at 'Street Smarts." Addicts, in general, obviously have more because of the lives we've lived. This is developed though and has little to do with genetics (which is a whole other topic in regard to addictions.) For example, 15 years ago I could go into the ghettos to cop dope and get ripped off because I couldn't tell the difference between a black man standing on a corner selling smack and a black man on the corner about to rip me off or an undercover cop from a citizen. Experience has raised my street IQ making me, in a sense, more intelligent than my pre-addict days.

Therefore, this brief summary explains why my theory is that, generally speaking, the addict is more intellligent than the non-addict. Like I said, I may be bias but my IQ of 133 should give some validity to my intelligence on the topic.

I hope all of that made sense and applied somewhat, at least. If not, I blame it on brain damage.

--------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is an interesting post you have written, Gemini
I see what you mean about drug addicts developing a sense to improvise in sudden situations...
Many people I have met who are drug addicts have a great amount of knowledge of life, they can handle tough situations.
There are times that Ive gotten some great advice about life from some of them.

However, I wouldnt say one is more intelligent than the other.
Its more the opposite thing, that young people, teens with a high Iq are more likely to devellop an addiction problem

Good luck in your recovery!

dkzksaxxas_DanielX
DadaDoggyDannyKozakSaxfn
Tyrant of Words
United States 32awards
Joined 10th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 209

here i go again- pleas command me 'shut-up'....while yr at it, ban me from Forum-ing ever again

25 yrs in psychiatric 'business'--------
final 10 of those years in "recovery" end of aforementioned psych-biz-----
former sig-other of 5yrs 'board certified' addictions physician(MD)----

myself, 25yrs clean/sober---after dopin'since 14yrs'old, & later becoming a wonderful drunkard-----------

all this opining about is it this or that, especially whether being prone chonic drunkeness/addiction makes one smarter or dumber, or 'more creative' is just ego-jousting crap...even when the thfckn eXperts debate such issues.  A waste of mental,physical,psychic,spiritual energies.  All 'conclusions' regarding this stuff is as significant as 'winning' in sports.....wee need t'stop 'believing' what wee 'think', turning our illusions into ego-centric Delusions.
Ha.  There's somethin to chew on,(&make more o'pinions)

David_gessner
Thought Provoker
United States 1awards
Joined 8th Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 27

I have met too many addicts that would never be described as intelligent by even a child to say that all addicts are smart.
I do give some credit to the statement about intelligent people using from boredom.
My uncles iq and mine are both in the 130-140 range and we are also both addicts.
I know boredom is part of the reason I get high, and it would seem that the only time I can write is when depressed, the worse the depression the better the writing.
because of this believe what was said about discontent being a nessecary part of a writer. for myself it holds some truth anyway.
all my favorite artists are addicts or alkis or both like me.
Im a weird addict though, i only suffer from my use if I take drugs to kill pain.
If Im not depressed than I can run forever and feel alright.
Im still an addict though, I think about it all the time, and if possible do it daily.

poet Anonymous

"Psychiatrist Kay Redfield Jamison, herself a person with bipolar disorder or manic depression, notes in her book Touched with Fire that the majority of people suffering from mood disorder "do not possess extraordinary imagination, and most accomplished artists do not suffer from recurring mood swings."

She writes, "To assume, then, that such diseases usually promote artistic talent wrongly reinforces simplistic notions of the 'mad genius.' But, it seems that these diseases can sometimes enhance or otherwise contribute to creativity in some people. Biographical studies of earlier generations of artists and writers also show consistently high rates of suicide, depression and manic-depression."

According to the website Famous (Living) People Who Have Experienced Depression, women in the arts who have declared publicly they have had some form of the mood disorder include Sheryl Crow; Ellen DeGeneres; Patty Duke; Connie Francis; Mariette Hartley; Margot Kidder; Kristy McNichol; Kate Millett; Sinead O'Connor; Marie Osmond; Dolly Parton; Bonnie Raitt; Jeannie C. Riley; Roseanne and Lili Taylor."

SOURCE:   http://psychcentral.com/library/depression_creativity.htm

I think the question should have been
DO YOU THINK ADDICTIONS GO HAND IN HAND WITH CREATIVITY....

What is intelligence?

"Intelligence has been defined in many different ways including, but not limited to, abstract thought, understanding, self-awareness, communication, reasoning, learning, having emotional knowledge, retaining, planning, and problem solving.
Intelligence is most widely studied in humans, but has also been observed in animals and in plants. Artificial intelligence is the simulation of intelligence in machines.
Within the discipline of psychology, various approaches to human intelligence have been adopted. The psychometric approach is especially familiar to the general public, as well as being the most researched and by far the most widely used in practical settings.[1]"

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence

SUMMARY: We do not yet agree on just what intelligence is.
Many "creative" people have had mental illnesses.
Mental illness is often associated with substance abuse.
So this may make it LOOK like creative people get addicted.
Some of the worst addicts are Physicians (noted by someone in this thread) as they have ACCESS to these drugs.  Physicians may have a HIGH IQ....but if you have ever dealt with some of them you will notice that their EQ is low....

EQ = EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE
http://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Intelligence-Matter-More-Than/dp/055338371X

misscellany
-------------
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom 1awards
Joined 25th Nov 2012
Forum Posts: 92

the taq-A1 allele.

MaggieG
Dangerous Mind
United States 16awards
Joined 27th Nov 2012
Forum Posts: 1831

somelikeithot said:"Psychiatrist Kay Redfield Jamison, herself a person with bipolar disorder or manic depression, notes in her book Touched with Fire that the majority of people suffering from mood disorder "do not possess extraordinary imagination, and most accomplished artists do not suffer from recurring mood swings."

She writes, "To assume, then, that such diseases usually promote artistic talent wrongly reinforces simplistic notions of the 'mad genius.' But, it seems that these diseases can sometimes enhance or otherwise contribute to creativity in some people. Biographical studies of earlier generations of artists and writers also show consistently high rates of suicide, depression and manic-depression."

According to the website Famous (Living) People Who Have Experienced Depression, women in the arts who have declared publicly they have had some form of the mood disorder include Sheryl Crow; Ellen DeGeneres; Patty Duke; Connie Francis; Mariette Hartley; Margot Kidder; Kristy McNichol; Kate Millett; Sinead O'Connor; Marie Osmond; Dolly Parton; Bonnie Raitt; Jeannie C. Riley; Roseanne and Lili Taylor."

SOURCE:   http://psychcentral.com/library/depression_creativity.htm

I think the question should have been
DO YOU THINK ADDICTIONS GO HAND IN HAND WITH CREATIVITY....

What is intelligence?

"Intelligence has been defined in many different ways including, but not limited to, abstract thought, understanding, self-awareness, communication, reasoning, learning, having emotional knowledge, retaining, planning, and problem solving.
Intelligence is most widely studied in humans, but has also been observed in animals and in plants. Artificial intelligence is the simulation of intelligence in machines.
Within the discipline of psychology, various approaches to human intelligence have been adopted. The psychometric approach is especially familiar to the general public, as well as being the most researched and by far the most widely used in practical settings.[1]"

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence

SUMMARY: We do not yet agree on just what intelligence is.
Many "creative" people have had mental illnesses.
Mental illness is often associated with substance abuse.
So this may make it LOOK like creative people get addicted.
Some of the worst addicts are Physicians (noted by someone in this thread) as they have ACCESS to these drugs.  Physicians may have a HIGH IQ....but if you have ever dealt with some of them you will notice that their EQ is low....

EQ = EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE
http://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Intelligence-Matter-More-Than/dp/055338371X

Kitty -

I just love you !  :)

Your mind is like a steam engine, hard moving, focused, and wonderfully directional

poet Anonymous

Maggie:
------------------------------------------------------
Kitty -

I just love you !  :)

Your mind is like a steam engine, hard moving, focused, and wonderfully directional
--------------------------------------------------------------

What a wonderful complement.
Your mind is razor sharp too
I have seen you think on paper and you get to the heart
of the matter very quickly....
With mutual admiration
Hugs and love
Kitty

poet Anonymous

misscellany said:the taq-A1 allele.

Do tell more....

MilkyJoe
Milky
Fire of Insight
New Zealand
Joined 19th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 908

somelikeithot said:[quote-169487-misscellany]the taq-A1 allele.

Do tell more....[/quote]

Hes saying addictive tendencies are genetic.

jaspersilence
Fire of Insight
United States 7awards
Joined 12th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 708

It's proven that gifted people are prone to more mental disorders.I believe this could bring out attempts to self medicate,more often...

poet Anonymous

At least half of a person's susceptibility to drug addiction can be linked to genetic factors. Presenters at an April 8 congressional hearing outlined new research on the genetic basis for addiction and recommended ways to incorporate those findings into treatment. The hearing was organized by APA's Science Government Relations Office.
Researchers first need to overcome public misunderstanding and distrust regarding genetic testing. That means physicians and the public need to better understand the interactions between genetics and addiction, said Alexandra Shields, PhD, director of the Harvard University/Massachusetts General Hospital Center on Genomics, Vulnerable Populations and Health Disparities. According to a national survey, only 5 percent of primary-care physicians feel confident in their ability to interpret genetic tests, and only 4 percent would feel confident suggesting treatment based on genetics.
There are very good reasons for physicians to pay attention to the impact advances in genetic testing are likely to have on their ability to treat patients, said Nora Volkow, MD, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse. "Understanding the complex interactions between the factors involved in drug abuse and addiction is critical to their effective prevention and treatment," she said. With new data quickly piling up, physicians might soon be able to incorporate genetic tests in their practice, allowing them to better match specific treatments to individuals.
For example, Volkow explained that the number of a certain type of dopamine receptor, known as D2, might someday be used to predict whether someone will become addicted to alcohol, cocaine and heroin. Brain imaging suggests that people with fewer D2 receptors are more likely to become addicted than those with many of the receptors--and how many of these receptors people have is, in part, genetically determined. Of course, environmental factors also play a role, so propensity isn't destiny, Volkow added. First a person has to experiment with drugs, then he or she has to repeatedly use them. At that point, genetic vulnerability helps determine who winds up addicted.
When it comes to tobacco, genetics account for about 75 percent of a person's inclination to begin smoking, said University of Pennsylvania psychologist Caryn Lerman, PhD. Genes also account for 60 percent of the tendency to become addicted and 54 percent of one's ability to quit.
Because not all smokers are created equal, it's possible to look at genetic factors to determine the best way to quit. The genetically determined speed at which the body can metabolize nicotine, for example, makes a difference as to whether a nicotine patch or a nicotine nasal spray will work better long term.
"A better understanding of biology will help us to personalize treatment to individual smokers," Lerman said.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2008/06/genes-addict.aspx

Leaton
Half Cab Heel
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 30th Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 136

Most genius minds are tortured. Most tortured minds seek solace in substance abuse. And it's no coincidence that all my favorite musicians were heroin addicts. Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, Hendrix, Jim Morrison...

Go to page:
Go to: