Do you think addictions go hand and hand with intelligence?

46.51% • 20 votes • No
34.88% • 15 votes • Yes
18.60% • 8 votes • Maybe/other- i shall comment my reasoning.
Total votes: 43
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Do you think addictions go hand and hand with intelligence?

SychophanticSlag
Dangerous Mind
United States 5awards
Joined 24th May 2011
Forum Posts: 1958

lepperochan said:no, definitely not, addiction is so misunderstood by people it's frightening. intelligence has noting to do with addiction, stupid people get addicted just as much as bright people. I mean c'mon if people were so fkn intelligent why would they go getting addicted in the first place?

^^

For every one intelligent addict there's a thousand moronic addicts.

Indie
Miss Indie
Tyrant of Words
Australia 34awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 3209

Addiction has nothing to do with intelligence or vice versa. Intelligent and creative people may be at higher risk of trying drugs simply out of curiosity, but not every intelligent person that uses or has used drugs is an addict or has been an addict. Like depression and cancer, addiction doesn't discriminate about the type of person it afflicts. Intelligence isn't the be all and end all of the mind either, just because you're intelligent doesn't mean you're not stupid.

An interesting article: http://www.cracked.com/article_19174_5-unexpected-downsides-high-intelligence.html

DylanThomasPirateM
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 31st Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 15

" i feel sorry for people who've never been addicted to anything, because they have no idea what its like to desperately want something, NEED something; and get it. Over and over and over, until they're sick and have to go to rehab."
-Mark Maron

Mitochondrial
Will lou White
Thought Provoker
Australia 1awards
Joined 19th Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 190

I just googled "artists that lived in moderation" and legitimately nothing has come up.

Can someone tell me of any writers/poets/artists who are known to live a clean life and have been righteously compelling?

Kou_Indigo
Karam L. Parveen-Ashton
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2794

DylanThomasPirateM said:" i feel sorry for people who've never been addicted to anything, because they have no idea what its like to desperately want something, NEED something; and get it. Over and over and over, until they're sick and have to go to rehab."
-Mark Maron

Actually, you could say I'm addicted to love. I mean, I absolutely NEED to feel loved, whether it's my honey Lily or a certain sexy fellow I like to mess around with (and sometimes MESS WITH) here on DUP... I just totally, crazily have this monumental need to feel loved, worshipped, adored, and cared about. I think it's because I had a LOT of very lonely times in my life when I didn't have anybody at all who cared about me. They say loneliness can drive you crazy just as bad as any drug or drink ever could! And can make you addicted to any feelings that end that loneliness. Feelings like love, passion, and even friendship. It's funny because I never thought of those things in that light before, but now that I think of it yeah... totally makes sense. But you know, I'd still rather be addicted to love, attention, fame, whatever than something less pleasant. Goddess, you know I am starting to sound a LOT like Lady Gaga! But hey, everyone's got a little monster in them waiting to come out. Well... most everyone. Lol.

APERSON
Eris
Fire of Insight
United States 1awards
Joined 24th Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 1082

Addictions mostly bring experience more experience one has the more "educated" they are assuming they can understand. Idiots have addictions and brilliant minds also have them... I have noticed it's mostly on reasoning for such things I mean if you think about it, a teenager who wants to look "hot" or some other shallow excuse could easily become addicted another individual wanting something productive or meaningful could fall into the same pit as the other. Which of the two would seem to hold more "intelligence"? Also if this is referring to the actual development of the addiction that ,in my opinion, is primarily based on emotion. Emotion has little to do with intelligence.

Mitochondrial
Will lou White
Thought Provoker
Australia 1awards
Joined 19th Jan 2013

“People who are always taking care of their health are like misers, who are hoarding a treasure which they have never spirit enough to enjoy.”
― Laurence Sterne

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

"Here are some famous writers who were not alcoholics: Nathaniel Hawthorne, Mark Twain, Mary McCarthy, Upton Sinclair, Emily Dickinson, Henry Thoreau, Zane Gray, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Saul Bellow, William Golding, Robert Frost, Edith Wharton, Willa Cather, James Michener, Lillian Hellman, Tom Wolfe and Flannery O’Connor. Of course, there are so many more!"

took 30 seconds to find this;

http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2010/01/27/alcohol-and-writing/

Kou_Indigo
Karam L. Parveen-Ashton
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2794

APERSON said:Addictions mostly bring experience more experience one has the more "educated" they are assuming they can understand. Idiots have addictions and brilliant minds also have them... I have noticed it's mostly on reasoning for such things I mean if you think about it, a teenager who wants to look "hot" or some other shallow excuse could easily become addicted another individual wanting something productive or meaningful could fall into the same pit as the other. Which of the two would seem to hold more "intelligence"? Also if this is referring to the actual development of the addiction that ,in my opinion, is primarily based on emotion. Emotion has little to do with intelligence.

You are totally right here! I mean, there's this one guy here on DUP who I'm insanely attracted to, and he has even told me he finds me incredibly hot. When we talk... we aren't thinking at all, just feeling, and 90% of the time it's all lust. But I feel kind of addicted to his feelings for me. Maybe because the person I'm actually dating right now doesn't seem to care at all about my feelings, just how I make her feel. She's all about how in love with me she thinks she is... but she does nothing to make me fall in love with her except fawn on me. And fawning isn't what makes me feel passion for someone. I guess you could say, I'm not addicted to her like I am to him. Does that make any sense? Yet I talk to her every night, and half the time I ignore him. I think I don't want to make him feel awkward, but I also feel awkward because I'm crazy for him and we both know it, he and I. So I don't know where all this is headed, and I feel kind of dazed and confused by it all. So yeah, love IS a drug, and I'm bad off on it right now big time! Someone said to me once: "You've gone so long without anybody, but once you do fall in love again, you'll have to choose between two people." OMG! Was the person who told me that ever right. But it's not about choices here, it's about raw feelings, not thinking about any of it. I'll see who loves me more, who wants me the most, long-term, and not just for a fling. You know what's funny? Lilith, the person I'm with, she acts like she's addicted to how I make her feel... just like how I am with that guy I'm nuts over. So there's this whole cycle of addictions going on with this whole love triangle I'm stuck as the third part of. And I can't just quit cold turkey, you know? I'm too addicted to love. ;)

Mitochondrial
Will lou White
Thought Provoker
Australia 1awards
Joined 19th Jan 2013

lepperochan said:"Here are some famous writers who were not alcoholics: Nathaniel Hawthorne, Mark Twain, Mary McCarthy, Upton Sinclair, Emily Dickinson, Henry Thoreau, Zane Gray, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Saul Bellow, William Golding, Robert Frost, Edith Wharton, Willa Cather, James Michener, Lillian Hellman, Tom Wolfe and Flannery O’Connor. Of course, there are so many more!"

took 30 seconds to find this;

http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2010/01/27/alcohol-and-writing/

According to brainy quote and among others, mark twain drank night and day, emily dickinson was of the loose women variety. Upton Sinclair was hospitalised after writing the jungle in the 50s for alcohol poisoning. If you mean Pearl zane gray he was an alcoholic.  
I'm not checking them all because the only one that came up with so far i've checked with a sober lifestyle was henry thoreau, but thank you for putting that one out for me! :)

APERSON
Eris
Fire of Insight
United States 1awards
Joined 24th Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 1082

Kou_Indigo said:[quote-165096-APERSON]Addictions mostly bring experience more experience one has the more "educated" they are assuming they can understand. Idiots have addictions and brilliant minds also have them... I have noticed it's mostly on reasoning for such things I mean if you think about it, a teenager who wants to look "hot" or some other shallow excuse could easily become addicted another individual wanting something productive or meaningful could fall into the same pit as the other. Which of the two would seem to hold more "intelligence"? Also if this is referring to the actual development of the addiction that ,in my opinion, is primarily based on emotion. Emotion has little to do with intelligence.

You are totally right here! I mean, there's this one guy here on DUP who I'm insanely attracted to, and he has even told me he finds me incredibly hot. When we talk... we aren't thinking at all, just feeling, and 90% of the time it's all lust. But I feel kind of addicted to his feelings for me. Maybe because the person I'm actually dating right now doesn't seem to care at all about my feelings, just how I make her feel. She's all about how in love with me she thinks she is... but she does nothing to make me fall in love with her except fawn on me. And fawning isn't what makes me feel passion for someone. I guess you could say, I'm not addicted to her like I am to him. Does that make any sense? Yet I talk to her every night, and half the time I ignore him. I think I don't want to make him feel awkward, but I also feel awkward because I'm crazy for him and we both know it, he and I. So I don't know where all this is headed, and I feel kind of dazed and confused by it all. So yeah, love IS a drug, and I'm bad off on it right now big time! Someone said to me once: "You've gone so long without anybody, but once you do fall in love again, you'll have to choose between two people." OMG! Was the person who told me that ever right. But it's not about choices here, it's about raw feelings, not thinking about any of it. I'll see who loves me more, who wants me the most, long-term, and not just for a fling. You know what's funny? Lilith, the person I'm with, she acts like she's addicted to how I make her feel... just like how I am with that guy I'm nuts over. So there's this whole cycle of addictions going on with this whole love triangle I'm stuck as the third part of. And I can't just quit cold turkey, you know? I'm too addicted to love. ;)[/quote]

Alright that sounds awesome. I am more addicted to substance rather than people not many happy memories attached to the people I have experienced. I can understand the whole addicted to a certain person though, I sometimes am a leach myself. But yeah those feelings sound wonderful should just do whatever you want while they last. No need for confusion until you actually get a grasp of what is going on.

poet Anonymous

I surely dont think it does go hand in hand with addiction!
the fact that the people you mentioned had a drinking addiction was most likely related to other things.
Many people who build up addiction problems have something in them, it has been proven that many have what is called personality disorders. Or at least that they are more vulnerable to develop a personal disorder.

Its not DUE to someones intelligence that they develop an addiction. That would almost be the same as say that addiction is an intelligent thing. Mind you read the words carefully, I wrote ALMOST...

I work with people who have addiction problems and they come from all kinds of environments and have all kinds of backgrounds. There is always a reason for their addiction but that is an individual reason and its many different factors to consider in the whole picture. Its almost impossible to say "THIS is an example of addiction"
Because they are many and each of them is different

MaggieG
Dangerous Mind
United States 16awards
Joined 27th Nov 2012
Forum Posts: 1831

I didn't pick up my first cigarette at 11 because I was intelligent. I wanted to be like my sister. I didn't slam my first shot of Jack at 13 because I was intelligent. I wanted to be like my brothers. I didn't do my first hit of dope at 14 because I was intelligent. I wanted to be like my friends. I wanted to fit in. All three of these I just mentioned are social addictions. Rarely are they done alone, particularly in the beginning. A need to be part of a pack or group runs the gamete of all people. These things are also a way of self-medicating, covering up some other problem. How smart is that ? Now, the fact that I can not go a day without reading ? That might have something to do with my intelligence.

Ever been around a full blown junkie, or drunk ? Trust me... they are not intelligent.

MaggieG
Dangerous Mind
United States 16awards
Joined 27th Nov 2012
Forum Posts: 1831

Indie said:Addiction has nothing to do with intelligence or vice versa. Intelligent and creative people may be at higher risk of trying drugs simply out of curiosity, but not every intelligent person that uses or has used drugs is an addict or has been an addict. Like depression and cancer, addiction doesn't discriminate about the type of person it afflicts. dIntelligence isn't the be all and end all of the mind either, just because you're intelligent doesn't mean you're not stupid.

An interesting article: http://www.cracked.com/article_19174_5-unexpected-downsides-high-intelligence.html

AMEN !

Indie
Miss Indie
Tyrant of Words
Australia 34awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 3209

One of my best friends sometimes wonders why I'd want to be friends with her because she's not intelligent. That doesn't make her stupid, she's just not academic. In the time I've known her she's been a speed junkie and a stoner. I've also dated plenty of addicts in my time, being one myself, I think I'm unconsciously attracted to them. Sadly, the majority weren't what anyone would consider intelligent. Addicts tend to go to extremes in things, they're either all in or they're all out. I'm either completely obsessed with something or completely uninterested. I've had some people say all I've done is squander my life in ambitionless-ness, because I'm so flightly and can rarely stick at anything for long, because I get bored. I know plenty of driven people that aren't addicts at all, they can keep that pace and go after what they want without the rollercoaster road of being addicted to something, they just do what needs to be done without all the mental angst and emotional unstableness. Addiction is a way of not dealing with the world. It makes for an experience in suffering. To be a good artist you don't need to understand the deep suffering of addiction. Would I still be a writer if I wasn't an addict? Yes. Absolutely. I was a writer before I ever had the chance to become addicted to anything.

Go to page:
Go to: