Go to page:

Olympics be Abolish(GRAPHIC WARNING)

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I think the word "retard" may have been meant in slang terms (aimed at the likes in the pictures) maybe not.
If so, it was still a poor choice of word to use when the Paralympic games play such a big part in this.

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

Magdalena said:I think the word "retard" may have been meant in slang terms. maybe not.
You mean there's a 'non-slang' way to use it? It's a vile word which suggests the immaturity and stupidity of the user. In this context (the Paralympics) it is breathtakingly insulting. Maybe 'Angel of Blood' (the nickname says it all, really) impresses the other little boys in her class by being really shocking and writing rude words on the wall, but to the outside world she's just an idiot.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

Astyanax said:[quote-120993-Magdalena]I think the word "retard" may have been meant in slang terms. maybe not.
You mean there's a 'non-slang' way to use it? It's a vile word which suggests the immaturity and stupidity of the user. In this context (the Paralympics) it is breathtakingly insulting. Maybe 'Angel of Blood' (the nickname says it all, really) impresses the other little boys in his class by being really shocking and writing rude words on the wall, but to the outside world he's just an idiot.[/quote]

Ahh you quoted me as I was editing. There is no excuse for the word and I do not condone it.

'Angel Of Blood' is a she, not that it makes any difference.

Danii
Tyrant of Words
United States 5awards
Joined 27th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 5152

Well retardation is a technical term for it.
But people like Angel of Blood have bastard-ised the English Language and use terms/words in such a fowl way, that it has become an offensive slang.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

The pictures are shocking acts of brutality and child abuse, in one form or another and where I do not agree the games should be abolished I do agree the people involved in such things should be. IMO.

freddwzz
Naked Satirist
Fire of Insight
Singapore 6awards
Joined 5th May 2012
Forum Posts: 496

and here we are stroking our self-righteousness while them kids have an ass sitting on their back, parallel.
funny too the beef with using "retards", when paralympic consist of people with physical disability, not mental capability, anyway having a "work out" as a game is way full retard.

have you owned a game console?
do you buy games solely
of running, of swimming, of throwing balls?
ain't very imaginative

feel so much better
about making a point
close my computer
fuck the kids

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6694

What a wicked web has been spun.

Fine, remove the Olympics.

And at the same time remove all forms of competition. Kill anyone with more than one leg, and give prosthetic legs to those born with one leg or no legs and then kill them. Why bother with legs? Why bother with anything? When it seems there is nothing but Doom and Darkness, and convenient one-sided arguments and evidence.

A better topic should have been about pressurising China into following and applying Human Rights and Morals.

Besides when perusing your criteria for sports there are a few problems.
1. Strength.
Of What? Physical strength? Mental strength? Spiritual strength? Have the clergy race agsinst buddhist monks?
2. Technique.
Surely Technique would outclass Strength; an athelete who can curve a ball with half as much energy will surely be better.
3. Strategy.
Obviously only a few 'sports' need strategy. Its not like even everday things need planning or strategy. No wonder so many people fail to reach the highest grades, they just turn up and do any old thing!
4. Team Work.
Along the same lines of Strategy. Yet also that not everything needs a team, or is best done in a team. Sure, it would get more people with Gold medals but would they deserve it for just standing still as part of the 'team'?
5. Mentality.
Psychics? As well as judges obviously. Seeing as they would be the best people to check an athelete's mentality. Can't have anyone thinking about anything other than winning can we, might create some Warp-spawned monstrosity.
6. Personality.
Only accept nice people? Or very competitive people. Or have a whole range and let atheletes say that other atheletes won only because they have a different personality. When sprinting that final 100 metres it really matters if you are nice to people when shopping.
7. Character.
Like Personality and Mentality. Accept only atheletes who have been called a 'real character' at least once and have recoded proof. Goes without saying that any character re-rolls count as illegal.

Ah yes, that perfect game of football. Complete with racist sports fans, riots, grudges, overpayed players, corruption, and general monopoly that leads to the downfall of civilisation and humanity. (Other sports have these as well but in varying degrees).

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010

freddwzz said:funny too the beef with using "retards", when paralympic consist of people with physical disability, not mental capability,
Just as a point of information, the Paralympics does involve people with mental as well as physical disabilities, and I don't think it's 'self-righteous' to be angry when someone vilely insults a group of people who deserve praise and admiration rather than stereotyping of the crudest type.

And Magdalena, thanks for clarifying the gender of Angel of Blood. As you say, it makes no difference.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

@freddwzz

The true definition of retard is "To cause to move or proceed slowly, delay or impede" " slow the growth or development of.  A person of subnormal intelligence"

Offensive slang "a disparaging term for a mentally retarded person"

A derogatory term often thrown about flippantly by many people.

My mother was born disabled, one of her legs damaged and I know what she has been through from childhood into adulthood because of nasty "Human beings"

Just saying and now I have I shall bow out of this discussion.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

Was talking to a man in a wheelchair yesterday. He said "and what do you do"

I said "I'm a comedian"

He said "oh good I admire anyone that can do Stand up"

MrAlptraum
Mr A
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 17awards
Joined 24th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 1878

Magdalena said:I think the word "retard" may have been meant in slang terms (aimed at the likes in the pictures) maybe not.
If so, it was still a poor choice of word to use when the Paralympic games play such a big part in this.

Retard can also mean 'to slow down' or just 'slow down', but anyway, continue.

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010

MrAlptraum said:[quote-120993-Magdalena]I think the word "retard" may have been meant in slang terms (aimed at the likes in the pictures) maybe not.

Retard can also mean 'to slow down' or just 'slow down', but anyway, continue.
[/quote]
The verb, 'to retard', with the stress on the second syllable, means 'to slow down', but we all know that Angel of Blood was using the noun, 'retard', with the stress on the first syllablle. The verb and the noun do not mean the same thing. The verb is neutral, the noun is an extremely unpleasant insult.

Go to page:
Go to: