Fire of Insight
Singapore 6awards
Joined 5th May 2012
Forum Posts: 496

http://tealeafnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/OnceChampions.001.png
http://tealeafnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/OnceChampions.002.png
http://tealeafnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/OnceChampions.004.png
http://tealeafnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/OnceChampions.005.png
http://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120802/640/how_they_train_olympic_champions_in_china_640_28.jpg
http://img.izismile.com/img/img5/20120802/640/how_they_train_olympic_champions_in_china_640_52.jpg

more here http://izismile.com/2012/08/02/how_they_train_olympic_champions_in_china_56_pics.html

i know china is an extreme country but seriously all these olympic hyped-up event eg running/ ball/javelin throwing blah blah- the viewer/sponsorship rates are ridiculous outside of olympic.
and they aren't even sports, they're like exercise forced to be a game.
a sport should be something that have these elements(strength,technique,strategy,team work,mentality,personality,character) best example-football.

poet Anonymous

Thank you for bringing this to light.  Children are taken away for their parents and live in a training camp.  Once the athletes get sick...one got diabetes...she lived in abysmal poverty with her mother.  One of the current Olympic Gold Medallists was only told AFTER SHE WON that in the past 5 years when she did not see or have contact with her family....her grandparents and mother had died.  They did not tell her because they did not want to undermine her performance.

Indie
Miss Indie
Tyrant of Words
Australia 34awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 3209

And the Olympics should be abolished because of one countries lack of human rights regarding their athletes?

Danii
Tyrant of Words
United States 5awards
Joined 27th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 5152

When the olympics started. A long time ago. They used to get beaten for mistakes they made. It was taken very seriously.

poet Anonymous

Indie said:And the Olympics should be abolished because of one countries lack of human rights regarding their athletes?

+1.

freddwzz
Naked Satirist
Fire of Insight
Singapore 6awards
Joined 5th May 2012

Indie said:And the Olympics should be abolished because of one countries lack of human rights regarding their athletes?

korea, russia whatever just because my lack of effort in finding pics doesn't mean its solely china.
and thats not the case im presenting but this

"these olympic hyped-up event eg running/ ball/javelin throwing blah blah- the viewer/sponsorship rates are ridiculous outside of olympic.
and they aren't even sports, they're like exercise forced to be a game.
a sport should be something that have these elements(strength,technique,strategy,team work) best example-football. "

fan of solely swimming, running, javelin/ball throwing eg..eg..? really?

Indie
Miss Indie
Tyrant of Words
Australia 34awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011

whatever you're a fan of/not a fan of is irrelevant. The Olympics are a symbol of global unity. Unfortunately not all countries adhere to basic human rights, that doesn't mean that the Olympics should be abolished, though it does mean that there needs to be better rules in place so that countries that commit these crimes are unable to participate, and that if they want to compete they have to comply with a set of standards that are humane.

freddwzz
Naked Satirist
Fire of Insight
Singapore 6awards
Joined 5th May 2012

Indie said:whatever you're a fan of/not a fan of is irrelevant. The Olympics are a symbol of global unity. Unfortunately not all countries adhere to basic human rights, that doesn't mean that the Olympics should be abolished, though it does mean that there needs to be better rules in place so that countries that commit these crimes are unable to participate, and that if they want to compete they have to comply with a set of standards that are humane.

whatever you're a fan of/not a fan of is irrelevant
its irrelevant only if you're only seeing me as singular.

its relevant to the competitors if there ain't any viewership there won't be an event for the "work-out"
and by spectating that event, more childrens are trained for that.if there are lots of fans they will get more sponsorship thus getting better benefits.

Football World Cup is a symbol of global unity as well and its a real sport with great benefits with worldwide constant viewership even after the Cup unlike "running" what are the runners gonna do after olympic? more develop countries maybe they do some advertisements, sure but for many other countries they have nothing left, athletes that spent their whole life learning only how to run/swim/throw ball, HAH let shit fall unto them.

braggman
Steve Bragg
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 27th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 1850

So how is it that you are going to banish the love of sports from humanity again? Unfortunately it really is irrelevant. Human rights are something you can fight for productively. People can get behind that idea. It is popular, but still is hard to do. Abandoning the desire to consume mindless games will never catch on. There is no motivation for it to be. Unless we wre facing some impending doom like an attack from outer space, it looks like mindless games of chasing the ball will always be big business.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

I reckon banning China from taking part might be a good start. I mean why should China change their stance on human rights if no sanctions are being enforced against them. is it really in the spirit of the games to have athletes treated in such a way.

There's been plenty of games boycotted by some countries because some countries took exception of the way the host nation went about their internal/external business.

The Beijing Olympics however was a great success...

Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 1awards
Joined 4th May 2010
Forum Posts: 2144

I think it would probably be very hard to ban one of the worlds major super-powers.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

why?

I ask because I don't know how the Olympics is run or officiated. I figured there was some kind of governing body.

Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 1awards
Joined 4th May 2010
Forum Posts: 2144

I just said that because to my mind countries only segregate a country if the loss of trade and the such with them can be afforded. You know, pro's and con's. That, in my opinion is why china gets away with so much shit.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

well yeah i agree with you there. classic example of one rule for the fat cat. it's not really in the spirit of the Olympics though.  the old Greek Olympics or the kind of Olympics being talked about in comments above.

bit of a sham I think.  

Indie
Miss Indie
Tyrant of Words
Australia 34awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011

freddwzz said:[quote-120412-Indie]whatever you're a fan of/not a fan of is irrelevant. The Olympics are a symbol of global unity. Unfortunately not all countries adhere to basic human rights, that doesn't mean that the Olympics should be abolished, though it does mean that there needs to be better rules in place so that countries that commit these crimes are unable to participate, and that if they want to compete they have to comply with a set of standards that are humane.

whatever you're a fan of/not a fan of is irrelevant
its irrelevant only if you're only seeing me as singular.

its relevant to the competitors if there ain't any viewership there won't be an event for the "work-out"
and by spectating that event, more childrens are trained for that.if there are lots of fans they will get more sponsorship thus getting better benefits.

Football World Cup is a symbol of global unity as well and its a real sport with great benefits with worldwide constant viewership even after the Cup unlike "running" what are the runners gonna do after olympic? more develop countries maybe they do some advertisements, sure but for many other countries they have nothing left, athletes that spent their whole life learning only how to run/swim/throw ball, HAH let shit fall unto them.[/quote]
Where are your facts based Fred? You're being very arrogant and narrow minded. Not everyone likes football or team sports. I personally think football is rather homoerotic, and I don't want to watch grown men running around in short shorts chasing a ball.

I rarely sport at all. I barely watch TV, doesn't mean I think sport or TV should be banned because I might not like either.

I actually like watching marathon running and things like the triathlon, if they're on when I happen to be around a TV. So despite my apathy towards world sports, those events do have my half arsed viewership, but viewership nonetheless.

For some people sports in a passion, like writing is to some of us. The money doesn't matter, they are living for what they love. And in saying that we all have lives (and some of us jobs) outside our passions.

Go to page:
Go to: