Go to page:

Age is Just a Number?

Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 1awards
Joined 4th May 2010
Forum Posts: 2144

I think age is a stereo-type and to an extent stereo-types can be good. For instance stereo-types such as dark alleys are not good for your health and gang bangers are violent can save your life.

Danii
Tyrant of Words
United States 5awards
Joined 27th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 5152

it all depends i guess

Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 1awards
Joined 4th May 2010

I saw something saying guys guys shouldn't date girls younger than half their age plus seven. Thinking about, that's -*about*- the generally accepted age by the public.

xG33KxxThexxFreakx
MakeMeStop
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 6th June 2011
Forum Posts: 84

mjs211 said:It depends on the age more than the age difference. A three-year gap between 14 and 17 is monumental and borderline pedophilia (despite how grown up 14-year-olds think they are), whereas a ten-year gap between 25 and 35 is not much at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong and idk if anyone else responded to this the way I will but, wouldn't it only be pedophilia if the 17 year old was attracted to prepubescent children?Which would be 10(or 12) and bellow right? Also, I believe the 17 year old would have to entice the 14 year old into the relationship, saying they would benefit from it. I think 14:17 would be statutory rape if it was a normal relationship.

But anyone correct me if I'm wrong, I need to know this information correctly for my abnormal psych final

Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 1awards
Joined 4th May 2010

xG33KxxThexxFreakx said:[quote-65620-mjs211]It depends on the age more than the age difference. A three-year gap between 14 and 17 is monumental and borderline pedophilia (despite how grown up 14-year-olds think they are), whereas a ten-year gap between 25 and 35 is not much at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong and idk if anyone else responded to this the way I will but, wouldn't it only be pedophilia if the 17 year old was attracted to prepubescent children?Which would be 10(or 12) and bellow right? Also, I believe the 17 year old would have to entice the 14 year old into the relationship, saying they would benefit from it. I think 14:17 would be statutory rape if it was a normal relationship.

But anyone correct me if I'm wrong, I need to know this information correctly for my abnormal psych final [/quote]
That's why he said "borderline pedophilia". It's below 12.

uniqueshaky
Thought Provoker
Wales 2awards
Joined 24th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 196

I don't think it really matters as long as the age gap isn't ridiculously huge..

Starlight_angel
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 25th Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 1240

This subject is close to my heart. I was the 14 year old with the 19 year old, the 15 with the 20 (when I lost my virginity), the 18 with the 23...
The largest age gap I was in was 16 and 25. I can't help now but feel that guy was sick.
I was mature for my age, physically, mentally, and emotionally. At 18 I believed there was no age gap. It wasn't until around 20 that I saw all the ways it had damaged me.
I don't think you can tell a mature 18 year old that they still have things to discover. I know no one could have told me that. There are chemical things going on that no amount of maturity can over ride.
The five year age gap between my husband and I didn't work until 20 and 25.
Is age just a number? Sure! We should still allow ourselves to be the age we are and time to reach the mature point of knowing we don't know everything.

LadyLoss
Thought Provoker
United Kingdom
Joined 2nd Mar 2012
Forum Posts: 37

If you need to know about the differing definitions of paedophilia, look at www.academia.edu, and look at Kieran McCartan's papers on there. He's done a lot of research into the different types of it, I've been studying it for Sociology

And I am still firmly of the opinion that it is all down to the person. My grandparents have a 20 year age gap, and they've been together 25 years. It's down to the individual, whatever makes a person happy

opheliac
Dangerous Mind
9awards
Joined 29th Aug 2009
Forum Posts: 2122

well said starlight. my sister married at 22 with a guy 7 years older than her. They are happily married and when you see them together
you won't even realise that they have such a big age gap. Bless them

Fading2Black
DenimFeather
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 14th May 2012
Forum Posts: 18

If you ask me depends on the mentality of the younger or older person. Age is what it is...it's a number. It should not define anything other than that.

marcella1
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 30th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 417

No it's not.  It's a state of mind.

MsRockyJackson
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 1st July 2014
Forum Posts: 318

Yeah I think age is nothing but a number well depending on how big the age gap is like for example I believe if someone is 18 and the other is 28 then that's fine, but if someone is 17 and the other is 12 or if someone is 22 and the other is 79 then that's a problem.
I have no problem with women who date men who are legally date able, but younger nor do I have a problem with men who do the same thing. I think if you're mature enough and smart enough and you're truly serious about them then you have the right to fall in love with whoever you want no matter the age, race, size, gender etc. I've been with and fallen for people who weren't my age and despite certain age gaps I've learned a lot from it and can say love shouldn't be based on age, but how mature you are in a relationship. you can make it work even if you are younger or older than your lover you just need to have common sense and be able to handle the relationship other wise it's just some fling

Aten
Paean of Deviance
Lost Thinker
1awards
Joined 25th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 61

MsRockyJackson said: if someone is 22 and the other is 79 then that's a problem.

How is this a problem?

MsRockyJackson
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 1st July 2014
Forum Posts: 318

Well I mean by the fact that there may be a chance that they wouldn't have anything in common since they come from different generations and there could be a chance that a 22 year old wouldn't feel anything serious about the 70 year old. I didn't mean by it being a problem legally of course.

Aten
Paean of Deviance
Lost Thinker
1awards
Joined 25th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 61

That's very subjective.
The fact that the 22 year old and septuagenarian have made themselves a couple should imply that they have already acknowledged and accepted whatever things they may not have in common, given that they are both mentally sound, of course.

Go to page:
Go to: