Go to page:

Athiests, When Did You Decide?

poet Anonymous

There is nothing but struggle and misery, endure or submit. I was religious once.. my petty faith was the only thing that felt real, when it was really the lie that sustained me, but I discarded it and became who I truly am, there is no God, only life, struggle, death, endure, or submit.

Only the strong will prosper, only the strong will conquer.

Starlight_angel
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 25th Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 1240

"Give up on God" is quite the statement. An atheist would phrase it as coming to their senses, and it would imply also that they ever believed in God to begin with.

I know someone who went to their church for help. She was constantly raped in front of her children by her husband (don't argue logistics, marriage does not mean you forfeit choice). The church leader told her to "go back home and be a good wife". !!!!! There are laws now that when you go to a church with reports of abuse, you are to refer them to someone professional, or a hotline, SOMETHING! When I questioned someone in the church about how something like this could happen, I was told that, at the time, it was the church's policy to never ever encourage divorce for any reason. Really!?
HOW can a people who are supposed to be IN TOUCH with GOD not even stop and pray and say, "hey, God, I know what you said, but in this case don't you think there may be an exception?" God is supposed to know us and the trials we are going through. He would have known the other things going on in that family and certainly would have advised the clergy to tell her to get the hell out!
I remember clearly sitting in the car with her and telling her that surely she had to know that the religion our family has carried through generations was right. She answered, "no, actually, I don't," and told me this story.
It was later found out that her husband was sexually abusing his children as well. Then the tapes were found of him recording his sister-in-law (underage teen) taking a shower. With intent to distribute. His brother-in-law found him on a date with another woman. This guy is a real gem, let me tell you. The list goes on!
And it still blows my mind! Not one moment of pause to consider, not one prayer to ask guidance, just go home and be a good wife, go to church, all problems will be solved and happiness will be yours. Bullshit!
You can still argue that it could be the clergy, or the church, or maybe some other excuse, but the thing I continually hear thrown back is that God doesn't give anyone more than they can handle.
Well, God didn't give her any of that shit, her asshole husband did!  He has free will, and made choices that affected them all and not once ounce of faith or obedience saved them from it. Oh! And on top of ALL that, she ended up with MS. There is nothing anyone can say either that can convince me that her life was part of God's plan.  

Now let's get to Jesus condemning a fig tree... lol

SimpleSound
Marlee
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 22nd June 2012
Forum Posts: 111

I grew up in a christian house and we went to church every Sunday. And at about 10 I realizing how corrupt the religion is. So I gave him up like I did Santa Claus, I thought about it.

Also, this documentary by Bill Maher can really show you the corrupt ways of religious people.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f8fMmMhwRg

I'm not a huge Bill Maher fan but this is still excellent..    

PierreTheMad
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 7th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 2808

Starlight_angel said:"Give up on God" is quite the statement. An atheist would phrase it as coming to their senses, and it would imply also that they ever believed in God to begin with.

I know someone who went to their church for help. She was constantly raped in front of her children by her husband (don't argue logistics, marriage does not mean you forfeit choice). The church leader told her to "go back home and be a good wife". !!!!! There are laws now that when you go to a church with reports of abuse, you are to refer them to someone professional, or a hotline, SOMETHING! When I questioned someone in the church about how something like this could happen, I was told that, at the time, it was the church's policy to never ever encourage divorce for any reason. Really!?
HOW can a people who are supposed to be IN TOUCH with GOD not even stop and pray and say, "hey, God, I know what you said, but in this case don't you think there may be an exception?" God is supposed to know us and the trials we are going through. He would have known the other things going on in that family and certainly would have advised the clergy to tell her to get the hell out!
I remember clearly sitting in the car with her and telling her that surely she had to know that the religion our family has carried through generations was right. She answered, "no, actually, I don't," and told me this story.
It was later found out that her husband was sexually abusing his children as well. Then the tapes were found of him recording his sister-in-law (underage teen) taking a shower. With intent to distribute. His brother-in-law found him on a date with another woman. This guy is a real gem, let me tell you. The list goes on!
And it still blows my mind! Not one moment of pause to consider, not one prayer to ask guidance, just go home and be a good wife, go to church, all problems will be solved and happiness will be yours. Bullshit!
You can still argue that it could be the clergy, or the church, or maybe some other excuse, but the thing I continually hear thrown back is that God doesn't give anyone more than they can handle.
Well, God didn't give her any of that shit, her asshole husband did!  He has free will, and made choices that affected them all and not once ounce of faith or obedience saved them from it. Oh! And on top of ALL that, she ended up with MS. There is nothing anyone can say either that can convince me that her life was part of God's plan.

And Christians would just say that evil is man's fault, not God's.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Dante-Anon
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 10th July 2012
Forum Posts: 5

I "gave up on god" when I was 9. At least,that's when I became agnostic. As a 9 year old I was still afraid of the possibility of there not being an afterlife, I still needed a "god" in my life. A year later I was starting to ask questions so I talked to one of my atheist friends and she didn't try to convert me but she explained what it was and I decided that I was an atheist. I read into it more, listened to podcasts, watched debates etc. and now I'm the religious debater of the school. Finally came out of my intellectual cocoon.

MrAlptraum
Mr A
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 17awards
Joined 24th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 1878

The title of the thread needs a re-word. Atheism is a decision.

To believe in some deity is beyond me. I think it's an act of desperation to succumb to the narrow restraints of any religion. Desperation or lacking the comprehension of human biology, evolution and physics all quite factual and leaning very far from the idea of a god, especially now.

Gods and religions were all thought up in times of a flat world and monsters at sea. We still follow religions because of all the weight and politics that's relying from it's head figures. Smoke and mirrors, but I'm not atheist. I'm not willing to pigeon-hole myself. Just agnostic.

freddwzz
Naked Satirist
Fire of Insight
Singapore 6awards
Joined 5th May 2012
Forum Posts: 496

i became an atheist just to make people angry imma troll yea science! im your god, disprove this!
then the trolling grows alittle boring and i became agnostic.

Gg78
Tyrant of Words
United States 26awards
Joined 5th Mar 2011
Forum Posts: 9051

I never did. Thanks for asking. I'm about to start a thread that says, when did you first get touched by god! How's that sound
So many I'm sick of religious talk. I'm sick of people throwing their beliefs of god at me. But this is ok. Hypercritical much?

Starlight_angel
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 25th Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 1240

I don't know about everyone else, but I have no problem with people talking about their beliefs either way.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

7th grade, lunch hour ...I was talking to a friend who had a rough home life, she said she didn't believe in god because he had never answered any of her prayers...up until then I didn't realize not believing in god was a thing, as religion was never discussed(...or really even mentioned) in my family.

Im glad I grew up unscarred by it.

poet Anonymous

SimpleSound said:

Also, this documentary by Bill Maher can really show you the corrupt ways of religious people.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f8fMmMhwRg

I'm not a huge Bill Maher fan but this is still excellent..    

my favorite part:
https://youtu.be/FFspMFYntME?t=5353

also:
https://youtu.be/FFspMFYntME?t=2253

blocat
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 1st Nov 2012
Forum Posts: 241

Yup Know where you're coming from. I was told "A good catholic wound't ask those kind of questions' Hence forth I called myself a "Cured catholic"

blocat
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 1st Nov 2012
Forum Posts: 241

So this god who can create a whole fuckin' universe requires our  worship yeah?
Yes he does
Well what the fuck does he/she do with it store it in a cupboard?
It's to test your faith to see if you love him
He's omnipotent so he already knows pal.
There is only one god and one true faith and it's mine.
Really? so this omnipotent god who created every damn thing around who made multiples of everything restricted the path to him/her to only one? you'd get a kinda bottleneck no?
We're his chosen ones!
No shit! Just like every other fucker eh? I'm right ergo every other twat is wrong? A bit simplistic what?
It's the truth, it says so in my holy book
And who wrote this holy book your god? Or was it people like yourself proclaiming truths that suited them from the towering heights of their prejudice and desire to control?
It's a matter of faith The unfaithful will burn in hell
Remind me what faith is again? Is it believe without credible evidence?
It' tells me in my holy book
Oh that horse shit again written by men. Well excuse me I gottta go and join the queue for hell the sex is pretty good there so I hear. but you'll have to take my word for it.

Go to page:
Go to: