Go to page:

Athiests, When Did You Decide?

goodest
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 22nd Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 3007

whats good ms carla....my computer was down so i wasnt able to get on like i used to & i really missed you all during that time....but i was just chilling at the speed of Life you know....hbu....how is 2012 treating you.....

SychophanticSlag
Dangerous Mind
United States 5awards
Joined 24th May 2011
Forum Posts: 1958

Meh. It could always be worse.lol

goodest
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 22nd Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 3007

but you are a survivor so youre gonna make it....even better than the destiny child song.....lol

Page_Writer
Mad Girl
Thought Provoker
United States 19awards
Joined 25th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 183

For most of my life I was alone, if God were real why didn't he give me something like a friend to be with. And when I did have friends, they were never there for me. Always willing to ditch me, the weird goth girl.

When my grandmother died, it brought such a dark cloud over the small family that I already had. It broke me so much, I figured that if God was not only willing to send my shitty friends he was willing to take my family away too. I figured why belief in him?

Then three years later, my grandfather died and he was the only thing close to a father I had. My own father isn't much, never was. He's a lousy drunk that doesn't no anything about me and never will. When my grand-dad died, I felt like I lost a grandfather, a dad and a best friend-- All at once.

And there when people started shoving the Bible down my throat. That is another things I hate. Freaking ignorant Christians that have the need to preach not The Bible but their version of The "Bible".

"I have nothing against God; it's his fan club that I can't stand."

poet Anonymous

We were subject to mandatory prayer and worship (singing hymns & reading psalms) in my primary school. I always had a degree of confusion about this strange practice of worshipping an unseen entity. My grandmother once asked me, after I'd told her about that day's school worship, "If god exists, why are there train crashes?". Obviously this is the same tired argument that beginner Atheists have been using for years, but it really struck a chord with eight-year-old Cthonian. Since then I've never held any belief in a higher power.

I believe that there is no god, no hell, no heaven, no angels, no demons. I try not to associate with the "atheist" label, trying instead to identify as someone with "no religion." I do enjoy pointing out to those that keep insisting that Atheism is a "religion", that the literal meaning of the word is "without gods/deities."

ARGreen
Lost Thinker
Joined 17th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 6

i'm not an atheist at all, i believe that in science there's so many arrows leading to a creator, but i do hate how people try and force religion on to others. i'm a christian and i even feel that thats not right. i think it truly must be their own choice and not some "Either this or hell" scenario, you know?

Raining_lithium
Strange Creature
Joined 6th Mar 2012
Forum Posts: 3

Brought up protestant, liberal upbringing nonetheless. for as long as I can remember going to church and praying just felt wrong, as nothing added up, and only served to make some aspects of my childhood, seem like an unintentional lie. So as I got older, read more, listened more, and got fewer and fewer satisfactory answers, that concreted my decision. I was okay with my understanding not being defined. As I used to say, "god is like someone I haven't met, and don't really care to meet, therefore like a fart in a bathtub on the other side of the planet, is of zero consequence."

ScottSF21
Thought Provoker
United Kingdom 1awards
Joined 9th Mar 2012
Forum Posts: 53

I've done it all on religion.I've been liberally Christian,Atheist and agnostic.I find it quite a difficult subect.Moreso than what atheist or theist typically accept it to be.

I was Christian from being a child till about 12, when I gave it up simply because I didn't see my beliefs of a benevolent interventionist god happening.Old problem of evil argument.Then I went to being a Meek atheist who didn't bash down religious.Read Dawkins and became an arrogant fuckhead.
Done alot more reading and thinking from both sides of the debate and left it at agnostic.I attended a Unitarian Universalist 'church' for a bit for discussion and to see if anyone could convince me.No one tried and no one has suceeded.I remain Agnostic.However I lean more towards thinking there's less possibility of god(s) existence than if I was fully agnostic and open to any idea of god-so I'm atheist in that sense.But I'm open to a couple of ideas of god.
Far as I can tell if god(s) do exist they have nothing to do with us so we have no reason to care- so if we're throwing out Wikipedia friendly labels I'm an Apatheist Agnostic Atheist.

BleedingInferno219
Kristyn Ashley.
Fire of Insight
United States 12awards
Joined 3rd Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 717

ARGreen said:i'm not an atheist at all, i believe that in science there's so many arrows leading to a creator, but i do hate how people try and force religion on to others. i'm a christian and i even feel that thats not right. i think it truly must be their own choice and not some "Either this or hell" scenario, you know?

I know what you mean, I'm a Christian and I try to Evangelize but if someone doesn't want it I won't force it down their resisting throats.

Duncan
Duncan Alexander
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 1awards
Joined 4th May 2010
Forum Posts: 2144

BleedingInferno219 said:
I know what you mean, I'm a Christian and I try to Evangelize but if someone doesn't want it I won't force it down their resisting throats.

It's like they say, [and I hope I don't offend anyone]. Religion is like a dick, it's all good and dandy having one until you start waving it around in public and shoving it down peoples throats. ;)

firedaughter
StayAwayFromTheNutcase
Fire of Insight
United States 17awards
Joined 14th Feb 2012
Forum Posts: 808

aghh.. I seen this one and said...what the hell, every one has a right to their own opinion...
where do I start... I lived with my mom for 4 years and during those four years
life was living hell.. Her boyfriend was many things to me and my sister......
no matter how many nights I sat up and prayed for everything to geet better,
guess what?.. it NEVER did.. so one day I decided to drop my bible and pick up my blade..
(for those who want to know a little bit more of my story, feel free to message me)

Daveontae
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 11th Mar 2012
Forum Posts: 1

never have and never will.......because what most people don't realize is,life is what you make it and believing in God is a very serious matter to me.What we see in this day and age is all made by "MAN" who have choice one thing we should've never had. Abusing God's power to make money the root of all evil. he made the trees that we tear down,he made the animals we love to keep,and made man from dirt and created woman through a single bone. I dont care what people say I shall continue to spread "HIS" love across "HIS" world.So got a problem with it tell him...... and p.s think on this...FOR GOD GAVE HIS "ONLY" BEGOTTEN SON FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN HIM AND WHO ALL BELIEVE IN HIM SHALL NOT PERISH BUT HAVE ETERNAL EVERLASTING LIFE.

poet Anonymous

I truly admire those with faith, and at times I have been quite jealous that some people I know can find real calm at times of great distress. I think the world would be a much more beautiful and peaceful place if those who do have faith, kept it within (where it seems to do the most good), gaining a powerful strength and sense of peace to have within themselves.

EVO
Strange Creature
United Kingdom
Joined 5th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 3

I'm athiest; I don't believe in life after death, I don't believe there is a reason for us being here and I don't believe there is any higher power.... but most importantly, I don't believe that anyone should NEED religion to tell them what is morally right or wrong. As a realist I'd say - use your common sense.

LeesAngel
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 7awards
Joined 6th Feb 2012
Forum Posts: 193

I can't say I've ever believed in God, slightly odd considerin my Nan and Mum both do, but I suppose I've just always had my Dads mind!!!!!!!!!! I personally wouldn't call myself an Athiest though, cuz there are certain things I do believe in, not necessarily from any particular reigion or anything. But the idea of God just never sat right with me- it just doesn't make sense to me!!!!!!!!!! But I like the idea of people that do believe in God, because it serves as comfort, guidance and support, and people need that in this life, it's just not the guidance that everyone chooses to follow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to page:
Go to: