Poetry competition CLOSED 23rd August 2015 4:40pm
WINNER
Anonymous
trophy
RUNNERS-UP: lepperochan and case28

Go to page:

Best of the best ... Part II (most commented)

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015
Forum Posts: 2047

You hear me

Hear me!  
I have wounds that go miles deep.
My scars though are thick.
So i do not ooze.
To deny me your words, because i am sunny.  
Ouches and leaves a mark.
You know, that is fought for light?  
But tell me, i am not good enough  
Deep enough
For your pain
Hurts me hard!  
I bleed
Cherry red
But i will scratch and claw my way back to smiling.  
Scar over.
And another day proudly wear the sun.
Written by calamitygin (Jennifer Michael McCurry)

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Sorry cg but this competition is closed to entries.  I'm just waiting for all the participants to PM their choice for top three poems.

calamitygin said:You hear me

Hear me!  
I have wounds that go miles deep.
My scars though are thick.
So i do not ooze.
To deny me your words, because i am sunny.  
Ouches and leaves a mark.
You know, that is fought for light?  
But tell me, i am not good enough  
Deep enough
For your pain
Hurts me hard!  
I bleed
Cherry red
But i will scratch and claw my way back to smiling.  
Scar over.
And another day proudly wear the sun.
Written by calamitygin (Jennifer Michael McCurry)

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

I'm waiting on the votes of five of your fellow poets on this ... Thank you for your patience.

I'll close out the voting by Sunday evening, then tally the scores and post them.  I'll post the scores of all poems receiving votes as well as comments.

Have a great weekend everyone!

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

FEEDBACK (scores and final results within the hour)

1. Unfaithful
2. Black coffee
3. Old man scarecrow

Review for black coffee,
I liked this poem because of the way you used the black coffee. You made something very simple and turned it into something conplicated( in a good way)
However I do feel you could have done more with it .

As for unfaithful, it's a concept that's been done before but you did it in a way that seemed more human.

. . .

#1: Nesting, Missy Sub.
she's just an amazing writer, & the poem is magnificent.

#2: Pansexuality, Imperfected Stone
I like the sexual, biological approach. exquisite sapio-erotica.

#3: Blankets, stuckinahardplace
excellent metaphor for comfort & warmth. the way that she used it to its fullest, & he did not.

. . .

1. Once in a Blue Moon because tis haunting and poignant and its very brevity lends itself to the measureless expanse of the piece. It says so very much so very, very well.

2. Pansexuality because it's so resonant with precisely how I've always felt. Sometimes that chord echoes deep inside and it must be heeded when felt in the marrow...

I suppose all poetry is that way on some level. What one feels most inside, what draws one ineffably and calls one is rather paramount. Tis what makes this so incredibly difficult for nearly every piece connected in some way inside.

I may never participate in another of your competitions, Lobode, for voting is sheer torture...

3. The Art of Not Giving A Fuck for its sheer pugnacity and tenaciousness. The banked anger, almost nonchalance of the piece is incredibly compelling. Tis excellent the conveyance of mostly disdainful contempt hardly worth the author's time; however, what is, perhaps, best by far is that contained anger, cool, deliberately choosing to not give that fuck. Most likely, that's infuriating to the recipient and the author doesn't give a fuck about that either, which is really the coup de main.

Thank you for this torture, really. It's been ridiculously pleasurable. :-*

. . .

This was not an easy task Lo...so many talented poets/writers out there...

1.    Crimsin....I loved both her poems....they 'sang' to me....
2.    lepprochorn....profound simplicity...
3.    PsychicApocalypse...It's Complicated...it resonates with me....beautifully told

Really...all of them moved me in some way....

. . .

This was a fkn hard choice, but I've slept on it, and here's my vote:

1st - Savaja: Death
2nd - Case: The art of not giving a fuck
3rd - Staggerlee: The world is not for me.

Savaja: An emotional as well as visually appealing write.

"Death
Oft does the shaping
Molding
Enfolding
Us  
In weaves of grief"

Damn, I wish I'd thought of that line, heh. This poem reads like a prophecy, and seeks to teach us something about our lives. The end line rips you at the throat and is a very fitting end for a write that frankly made me feel uncomfortable, and that's my mark of a successful poem. A winner in my eyes.

Case: I'm a fan of things that make me feel. The write is very visceral in nature. I really liked the part apart photo albums, and gaps that once contained your daughter, quite a poignant image. There's a vulnerability to the write which is hidden under the layers of 'fuck you'.

Staggerlee: I'm a fan of Morrissey, and this has that bitter, seething observational Morrissey tone about it.   It's almost a song; a declaration of the writers place in the world, and I love that about it. Stanza 2 is my favourite. It fires like a gun shot through the mind of the reader. It's purely passionate, and you don't get that very often. Wonderful  

. . .

HadesRising - The baddest Motherfucker
-------------- This poem was absolutely kick ass. Even Jet Li gave it some room.

. . .

1. Quemadura by Mr Feddeler
2. The World is Not For Me by Staggerlee
3. Nestings by Miss_Sub

I remember reading "Quemadura" when it was first posted by Feddeler, the poem blew me away then and it blew me away again months later. I think it's an outstanding piece of poetry, it's one of those poems where every stanza, every image, every single line makes a writer aspire to one day write to this high standard.

"The World is Not For Me" written by Staggerlee is a great poem, it's concise, I think the repetition of the opening line in each stanza works well and the last stanza is excellent. I also like the contrast in the voice; it's a mix of anger and humbleness being expressed by the poet which makes this poem so intriguing.

"Nestings" written by Miss_Sub is beautiful and poetic, it took a few reads to uncover and appreciate the beautiful imagery woven into this poem.

. . .

1st: Crimsin - Limerick Rake
The emotions in this piece are hitting close to home with something I'm going through, myself, right now

2nd: Miss_Sub - Nesting
The imagery is so vivid and beautiful and I love that it has a musical accompaniment

3rd: David_Macleod - Elephants
Short and fun. I love how it brings me back to the days of Dr. Seuss and other childhood memories

Honorable Mention: Devlin - Pistoleros
The imagery in this piece brought to life an interesting story...Elephants beat this only because it spoke to the kid in me and that kid can be stubborn about what she likes.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

NESTING 80 points - two first place votes

OLD MAN SCARECROW 8 points

NATURE'S CALLING - 8 points

QUEMADURA - 37 points - two first place votes

LIMERICK RAKE - 19 points - one first place vote

BAD MOFO - 10 points - one first place vote

VAMPYRE - 20 points - two first place votes

WHISPER - 19 points - one first place vote

WHITE DARKNESS - 9 points

COFFEE BLACK - 19 points - one first place

WORLD NOT FOR ME - 26 points

ART OF NOT GIVING A FUCK - 46 points - two first place votes

ONCE BLUE MOON - 45 points - one first place vote

TRAPPED - 8 points

DEEP SEA - 8 points

IT'S COMPLICATED - 25 points

PISTOLEROS - 9 points

PAN SEXUALITY - 27 points - one first place vote

UNFAITHFUL - 10 points - one first place vote

BEING A MAN - 8 points

CASCADE - 8 points

LASHES - 10 points - one first place vote

ELEPHANTS - 8 points

DEATH - 29 points - two first place votes

BLANKETS - 17 points

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

Sorry about the delay folks in wrapping this up ... But I can't thank you all enough for truly making this a community project with your votes and comments ...

Congrats to MISS_SUB and her runaway hit "NESTING" ...

There were so many gems here, I became light headed reading them, literally did shots after reading Jonny212's piece.  

Again, many thanks.

poet Anonymous

... To come first in front of the powerhouses that are Case and Craic is a little achievement that's gonna make me go 'wow' for the rest of the damn week, heh.

Thanks very much, and well done to everybody. Loved reading all these beauties, this was such an enjoyable comp. Cheers LSP!

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

fair play, missus, that's one cracker of a poem you've written. its not surprising at all to see you take a bow

good stuff, Case. ...to be honest, I voted  you, ..I thought Missy's was a bit. ...I dunno. ..shitty

Cheers, Lobo, and all entrants

poet Anonymous

lepperochan said:good stuff, Case. ...to be honest, I voted  you, ..I thought Missy's was a bit. ...I dunno. ..shitty

Your friendly Irish moderator, everybody. Always willing to give you helpful support and encouragement for all your poetry needs for the coming years *sarcastic rolling of eyes* 👍

... Just kidding.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

There were a lot great entries in Best of the Best Part II due to the comp's criteria singling out our most popular poems.  This made picking a winner tough when it came to voting, so it's great to see the spread of votes from our peers, with Missy absolutely romping it home. Congrats to both Missy and Craic, it's a real honour to be side by side with the notorious lepperochan with Miss_Sub on top... ahem, not sure if I could have worded that any better.

Thanks again, lobo for setting the arena for a fun challenge and for making a lot of work for yourself. It was worth it, brotha.

Go to page:
Go to: