Franko76
View Profile Poems by Franko76
trophy
RUNNER-UP: LobodeSanPedro

Go to page:

get your caffeine fix

poet Anonymous

Mourganna,
your piece is such a lovely retelling of what happens as you wait for your brew. it draws me in and makes me feel it. i totally get it. every.single.morning.

Miki,
i absolutely adore this retelling of a coffee history. i wonder if it is this way for most people. will we all end up drinking what’s on sale because it just doesn’t seem as important anymore.

BoFantasic,
while i am terribly sad that you do not drink my most revered drink, i can appreciate the reasons why! though, for me, it would take alcohol for what you describe.

Franko,
at first you had me put off by the science of it all. while I understand the science is necessary for my favorite drink, it doesn’t appeal to me as much as the actual emotional response. BUT then, that last stanza. perfect balance of science and tenderness.

LoboSanPedro,
Your two entries were quite the opposites! The Greek (tanka) is all about the need of the caffeine and a nod to the person who knows how you need it. Charlene, well Charlene is an entirely different creature. I began to wonder if we were reading about coffee or a woman. which was delightful!

Toni,
Oh honey. I get this. I get this so much that it makes my blood heat up. another poem that makes me question whether we have slipped from talking about coffee to an actual lover.

Snugglebuck,
I can appreciate not liking coffee, but the devil’s hooch?! I should flog you for such a comment! BUT, should your poem prove autobiographical in nature, I can understand your loathing.

now…how to actually judge this thing?! every entry spoke to me on different planes of thought. some invoked that moment of sleepy need first thing in the morning. some made me recall past memories long held close. some made my blood boil because how could anyone desecrate my most sacred beverage (other than bourbon)?

but the chips must fall where they may. so…

third place: mikimoondancer with Coffee Maybe! I can see part of my coffee history in this. but I really hope that I don’t ever end up with what’s on sale.

second place: LoboSanPedro with Charlene! every line had me wanting to read the next. it was like i was reading this amazing love story filled memories remembered and memories being made.

first place: Franko76 with Arabica Cologne! again, i was almost put off by this piece. but the more I read it, the more I loved it. the blending of science and love and the need to impart good morning legacies on  kids so they always have a smell to relate to you. spectacular!

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Congrats! Franko76 - great piece of writing! Cheers to miki as well.

Many many thanks to our host, Minerva, for this most interesting challenge ... And yes you're right I was blending the lines between drinking coffee in my grandmother's kitchen as a young teen and my description of my then girlfriend ... Haven't seen her in decades but the Anthony Hamilton tune of the same name reminds me of those southern summers.  

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

Minerva this was a fun comp.  And my poem was dead accurate.  Norwegians are coffee nuts.  Coffee was the cause of the decline of the Viking empire.  When I saw the post for this comp, I knew Miss La Fay, would have to make a contribution.  My guess, while writing it, she got the caffeine jitters and had to pause, to put over a pot.

Congrats to Franko76, Lobo and the Queen of Scotts.

Franko76
Thought Provoker
Australia 5awards
Joined 27th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 9

Wow - thank you Minerva for hosting this fantastic themed competition. I am coffee crazy, and have been for quite some time! I Enjoyed all of the other poems in this competitio(including the coffee haters) well done to everyone for your great pieces. Very honoured as always to share words with so many talented poets on DUP.

poet Anonymous

LOL BUCK,thanks for sparkling up my morning..
passing the pot back at yah...

Minerva,thanks for your kind words
Congrats to the winner and runners ups

Go to page:
Go to: