Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16209

Poetry Contest

Your take on the above
Have you ever had a weird experience before Christmas? A supernatural encounter or just something out of the ordinary? It can be a first hand experience or had happened to friends or family members.

1. Prose
2. Not more than 800 words
3. Title your story
4. New works/no collaborations

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/300W/i/2012/193/b/2/snow_storm_night_by_wintella-d5613tw.jpg
By Deviantart.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

I've got one for you Grace.  It involves a little piece a wrote several years back.

"If only I can find it."

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

I'm waiting Snugglebuck...:).

AIJoe
Aondokator
Twisted Dreamer
Nigeria
Joined 23rd Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 36

How many entries are allowed?

poet Anonymous

Heaven's Heart Opened.

It was Dec 21st, 2012, about 5 AM. I had been awake for a few minutes, relaxing in the dark as the clouds of dreams finished rolling away from my head. So I know what I heard swirling over me was no dream. Music, reverberating in a cycle of wind which came not from a distance as breezes oft blow, but from above my house.

It was as if the skies were calmly opening, and a great ocean was breathing deeply, whirling waves of three repetitive notes.  In crescendo, the round of notes descended and hung just over the pines in my yard.

I was terrified at the strength of the music, tingling with sensation of something living and unfolding that I didn't understand. "What the hell is that?!" I yelled to my husband. He mumbled in his sleep "I hear it. It's probably a car passing."  I looked out the window, half expecting a huge blimp playing warped Christmas music, but I saw only shadows. Still the music circulated as if the skies were open and a portal was filled with celestial spirits emitting those three notes over and over.

The notes lasted for about a minute, then receded upward as if the portal was slowly closing. The world returned to silence. Terror turned to delight as I realized I had experienced something supernatural.

A few days later, I came across a website about Doomsday preparation. It opened with a page playing the same sounds I had heard (basically three vibrating notes) over and over. The sounds were more thunderous and accompanied with static whereas my own experience with the audible round was more like listening to an oceanic tide, washing in and out. Breathing. I knew I had been breathed upon in a manner which does not cause me to fear any end of the earth, but has given me insight to a new world which shall bring great celebration on earth as in heaven.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Aondokator, hi! One entry per person.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Thank you for starting, HollyDove.:)

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t623/curlycue23/bethy2_zpsba188bab.png

Several years back I published the above piece for a local Lutheran periodical. If you've already read it, you know it's very self explanatory. "Sometimes It Snows In Bethlehem".

Published just a few weeks before Christmas, pretentious as I was, I thought I had out done myself.  Problem was not many others agreed.  This tiny piece made me the object of ridicule, by some folks in my small community.

"Sometimes it snows in Bethlehem," what...every thousand years?  It's a damn desert." so mocked Goober.  For the sake of DU, that's how I prefer to refer too him, 'Goober'.

And Goober had a side-kick that always had to contribute a commentary to everything he said, "Yeah, it snows there, you betcha," Bumpy added shaking his head in disgust.  "That's why they got camels there, to help plow the snow."

"I'm telling you it sometimes snows there." I had to say something in my defense considering I was being humiliated in front of a bunch of people at the local restaurant/bar.

"It might sprinkle a few snowflakes every now and then, but come-on it doesn't accumulate like it does here in Wisconsin, where they have to send out the plows. If it did you'd be seeing pictures and paintings of it, especially during this time of year."

"And what the Hell was that all about, 'Mary going into labor', Bullshit?  You're not just a meteorologist, you're an OBGYN too?"  (Sounds of laughter resonated in the place.)

I was embarrassed to say the least.  And like a lot of other men before me in such a humiliating predicament I had to go and say something 'really stupid'.

"Tell you what Goober, if it snows in Bethlehem between here and New Year's Day, you owe me two twenties.  If it doesn't snow, I'll owe you the same; deal?"  Goober was more than happy to take up my offer.

What an idiot I was.  Surely I would loose.  And as the days flew by till Christmas, I had received more than my share of sarcastic inquires, "has it snowed yet?" I'd hear people shout as I past, followed by  mocking laughter.

But that all changed on the day before Christmas Eve, I was awoken by a telephone call from my Mother (God rest her soul).  "Turn on the news, it's snowing in Bethlehem!"

Yep, as it turned out O' little town of Bethlehem got nearly a foot of snow.  And I got $40.00 from a guy named Goober.

Now, I'm not naive enough to believe God, would alter the weather patterns of the Earth for just me and my silly bet.  That would be a 'Miracle', and from what I hear, he's pretty stingy handing them out.  But God's girlfriend, Karma, that's a whole different deal.  As Goober could tell you, Karma can be a real 'Bitch'!

And wouldn't you know, as I post this, here in DU, all of Israel is digging it's way out of a massive snow storm.

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t623/curlycue23/F131213YS17_zps4c863c7e.jpg

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Thank you for your entry, Snugglebuck.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

And thank you for posting the prompt.

Because of 'you' I had to clean the house looking for my old poetry scrap book.

"Oh well, at least its tidied up for the Holidays."

Kexby
john rickell
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 16th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 115

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Thanks Kexby for your entry.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

crowfly
Tyrant of Words
United States 18awards
Joined 18th Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 29

Some Kind of Revelation

Several years ago I sequestered myself in a one-room apartment I had in Sierra Madre, near L.A.  I was sinking into anger, self-pity and depression on general principles.  The world had apparently turned against me for one reason or another.
I was sitting there, just trying to organize my chaotic thoughts, my solitude closing in.  But it soon became very clear to me that I was not in fact alone.  I felt a gentle, comforting presence right there at my side, offering some kind of embrace that did not involve any tangible human pressure.  It was the distinct sense of a caring companion being there, undeniable and true, despite any attempt at rational interference on my part.  It had me in its arms and, at that moment, was disinclined to let me go.
I had my eyes closed and kept them that way when I saw what, to me, was a very special effect.  I saw a gently glowing mist surrounded by darkness.  Within this mist, or fog, was a pulsing white light.  It appeared to be signaling me with a steady rhythm in sync to the beat of my heart.  It gradually winked out and the usual darkness closed in until I opened my eyes, finding my seedy room very much intact.
My visitor had also vanished, leaving lingering traces of wonder and awe, but the sense of having been consoled and embraced remained.  For a few moments I had not been alone in my misery.  Something told me that everything was going to be okay.
Yes, this could have been a hallucination or dream, but a mental magic show usually requires props taken from actual experience.  What I had seen and felt was so vivid and so lacking in any of my references, mundane realities that could be enhanced and embellished into fantastic display.
I became obsessed with this occurrence for days to come, trying to consider implications.  I decided, on some primitive level, that this had to be supernatural, giving myself the benefit of the doubt as far as any mental trickery.  And this had not been some haunting, a remnant sticking around this small furnished room to terrorize me.  No, this visitor had arrived to supply comfort, not confrontation over the sins of my past.
I decided, using what little logic I had available, that this could well have been an angel, having my best interests at heart.  It had been there to catch me if I fell.
And the light?  That had been a searchlight, offering guidance and direction through the mist.  It gave me a point of assurance and focus while being held, possibly a goal to be achieved.  My visitor was perhaps there to convince me that this light was nothing to fear.  A radiance of celebration, if anything.
If I'm embellishing, then so be it.  I continued to add layers upon layers to this over the years until the actual occurrence has been clouded and probably distorted by my own thinking.  But I know, without question, that the occurrence itself was very real.
My interpretation?  My visitor was an angel, checking in on me whether or not I deserved such attention.  The light was a searchlight, there to illuminate my confusion and darkness.
My conclusion?  God exists.  Whether or not I ever get to actually meet him is yet to be determined, but I consider the elements to this account sufficient evidence of his reality.  This experience probably wouldn't hold up in court, but it's enough for me.  My very shaky faith had been reinforced.
This didn't occur on Christmas Eve, but it would have been well suited for a silent night.  It was an awakening for me.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011

Thanks for your entry, Crowfly.

Go to page:
Go to: